Police Radar in the Rain?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck35

Reaction score
I was riding home this morning via slab in a moderate rain and couldn't help wonder if the old rumors were true.

Does electronic speed detection work in the rain? (ie:radar, laser, etc) Are its results (if any) admissible in court?

Or do patrol officers not like standing out in the rain any more than the rest of us?

This post is not meant to encourage breaking traffic laws or riding unsafely or beyond the limits of your skills and equipment.

It is my understanding that they do continue to work but their effectiveness is diminished. You have identified the human factor of "I need to leave this nice dry car to issue the ticket as well".<br />

If it's raining hard enough to impede radar or keep a patrolman in his car, it's too wet to speed in most cases, particularly on 2-wheels.

Radar is reduced some, but I don't really run Radar in hard rain. Usually people slow down anyway. I have done it just to see if I can. All I've noticed is reduced range.

However, if I have to get out of my car in the rain because someone is driving like a dumbass, that person is definitely getting a ticket. Same goes for snow.

Laser isn't worth the crap in the rain, and I haven't really messed with it.

A windshield causes too much interference due to laminate and the way they are made. Shooting Laser through a WS is a waste of time. So that leaves standing outside or doing it with the window down, both of which cause rain contamination on uniforms. Therefore, when it is raining, most guys won't use laser.

..Or do patrol officers not like standing out in the rain any more than the rest of us?
No we don't!
smile.png
A good patrolman never gets wet when it rains.
Your obviously not a Pacific Northwet Motor Cop.
Snorkle.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Does electronic speed detection work in the rain? Already answered but echoed: YES

Are its results (if any) admissible in court? STILL YES, (at least here in Utah, but one has to be prepared to articulate how hard/much it was raining and the effects of the rain on the RADAR- such as reduced range, etc. and what steps (if any) the officer used to counter act any possible erroneous readings.)

Or do patrol officers not like standing out in the rain any more than the rest of us? Probably hate it more, it sucks to get soaked to the bone in your work clothes while wearing a vest and then have to continue to wear those clothes while sitting in a car with no chance to 'take off' any of the clothes and dry out a little. This of course causes the windows to continually fog completely over. And that's why what Zilla said is so true... if the cop has to get wet, (cuz YOU were stupid- read: cause an accident or were breaking the law) they are probably most likely going to hang some paper on you. And not to mention, it makes the ink run on the ticket, so it's harder for the court to read. I would rather work in snow than rain, at least you can brush that off somewhat...