Possibly Adding a KLR650

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rrarthur

Reaction score
I don't know what bug has bit me, but I have had a hankering for a KLR. If you are not familiar with the bike it's a single cylinder dual sport that is water cooled. I know it's a bit heavy and tall, but I want a dual sport that I can actually ride to my destination. I'd hate to trailer my bikes anywhere. I would love to go down the minimum maintenance roads that I don't care to ride on with the FJR. Something about being able to run off-road sounds very fun to me. I still love going everywhere on the FJR, and will always consider it my main ride. Any of you guys have any experience with the KLR and can offer any advice. I also am hoping that riding on dirt will also improve my road riding.

I don't have one but I suspect that there will be a KLR in my future as well. As you mentioned, it would be nice to have an economical off-road bike that can be ridden to the place where you are going to do the off-road riding. I'm not looking for a dirt bike but something I can use on woods roads and decent trails. There are some (much) higher price options out there but a suitably equipped KLR appeals to my budget and style. There are many roads and trips where the KLR is a far better mount than the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had two KLR 250's and two 650's. Both types were amazing but I like my '13 650 V strom better. If you're just doing dirt roads or gravel trails KLR's work great. The 650 is quite heavy though with pricey bodywork so if you're wanting trail capability I'd suggest a KLX 250 instead. It's decidedly more capable off road.

I have one and love it.

If you get one spend the money and get the suspension upgraded.

Give Cogent Dynamics a call.

https://www.motocd.com/mc/index.php/suspension-products/91-klr-650-moab-shock

DSC06589.jpg

No doubt about it , riding in the dirt will improve your street skills. I have the Green Gen 1 in the first picture https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/144184-fods-v/

The KLR 650 is a good bike but a bit piggy for real off road use. It will get there but not as nimble as the Honda or Suzuki 650. Then in 2008 Kawi came out with the Gen 2 KLR. They took a pig and made it a hog - more plastic and heavier.

For your first dual sport buy a used bike from the city where it hasn't been beat up like mine. Find a gen 1 KLR, Suzuki or Honda, can't go wrong with any of these bikes.

I owned one and have worked on a bunch. I will have another one. They are a great urban assault vehicle that isn't great at any one thing but does most things well. I prefer 07 and older cause they have less plastic and a bit more travel on the suspension. Some 08 units had ring problems and all years need the Dohickey fix. After market support is amazing. Get one and enjoy.

I've got an '09 KLR650 and it's a perfect companion to my '13 FJR. I do gravel and dirt roads on mine. You can go anywhere on one, just not very fast.

It's fun to ride the torque, you don't rev them out too much, they just vibrate a lot at high RPM's. 60-65 MPH with stock gearing is a happy cruise speed.

It's also light enough to pick up if you drop it.

In the 3 years I owned my 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650 I put 9K miles on that single, most of those miles were offroad in Mexico and I rode "Mi Mexico Mule II" to Hyder, Alaska!

As stated by others: 1) It's not fast, but it will haul my big fat and ugly Irish Ass down la Autopista in Chihuahua Estado at 110 kilometers all day long. 2) It is light enough for a Decrepit Old Fart such as BeemerDonS to pick up after it takes a dirt nap, which happens a lot! 3) If you intend to ride dirt and gravel, then you absolutely want the Gen 1 for the lighter weight and less el Plastico feature! 4) Installing the DooHickey Fix is an absolute must, so easy even that Don Stanley could do it and I think that even dcarver could do it (maybe!). 5) Cool Guys like rushes, Bugnatr and FJRay ride the KLR's!

In the pic below taken outside of Bahia Kino, Sonora Estado: Papa Chuy Viejo is on his way to Mexico's Copper Canyon with 3 other AZ Beemers riding BMW R1200GS's!

The KLR is a fantastic country roads and putting around town bike and yes, it'll improve your skills because getting loose is part of dirt riding but you learn at lower, less scary speeds. As for trails, it'll go most anywhere short of where you need advanced skills and a more off road biased bike.

Even if you go a little too far it'll still get you back.

https://vimeo.com/103634550

Add me to the list of KLR owners. I have an '02 that I have done quite a few things to. They are great bike, just like a Timex. You know that old saying :)

Yep, have an '06 in the stable...ride it all the time.

As mentioned above, suspension upgrading is a must for those of us who are "above average" in size. Doohickey also mentioned is a must-do, and I went ahead and put in a Schnitz 685 big-bore kit in one weekend about 5-6 years ago.

They are not without quirks, and there is much on the internets about how to deal with eliminating most of the potential failure points. I've ridden it in the desert off-road, and toured with it, and keep several different front sprockets handy for gearing changes anytime.

The aftermarket support is huge, and anyone I've ever known who has one has a list of modifications longer than you'd believe. If you're into blasting around small roads, getting lost, and not caring, the KLR might be right for you.

Here's a pic of mine last Spring:

IMG_20131005_154628_853_zpskmw8hjpo.jpg

All the best,

Shane

I had an 07, LOVED It...bought it new (leftover) $4653 out the door.. tax, tags, all in... 6 years, 10000 miles later traded it in on the FJR (got $2500)

I did fine off road trailing with it(a lot), .. it will do all but jumping reasonably well... ruts and roots were handled well, and traction was great...and I wheelied every time i left my driveway (I miss that the most...)

For me, it was comfortable for 3-4 hour rides, but between some nerve issues I have and the wind buffeting, longer rides weren't as enjoyable(for me)

2 of my riding freinds also had KLRs, one 09 and one 11 ... mine felt more "dirt bikey" to ride.. thiers were smoother, quieter, and seemed to have better suspension on the highway...huge difference. Also have a freind with a klx250.. as long as your dual purpose spot isnt too far away, that bike is a BLAST to ride.

For what you describe as your desired role.. the KLR will fit the bill well... you should be able to find a new leftover for $4000 all day...or a well kept used one for $2000

Tires, chain maintenance and oil changes are about all you really need to do with this thing.. it will run forever and never let you down.

If you do want to get rough with it... as Shane mentioned above..there are known failure points, well documented, with kits available for all of them...but you wont need that stuff if you are just going to ride as you described. I never broke anything out of the ordinary, and i was not "gentle" with it.

I did the doohickey on mine...but its not needed on newer models, (i think 09 and up) they improved it.

oh.. and if you plan on wet feet... changing the footpegs out should be your first farkle... the rubber ones are not good at all.

if you get an 07 or older, look at this post:

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260383

all the part numbers to do footpegs on the cheap are there... they worked awesome.

I figure with the older models being around 4K and a 2014 should be able to be had for 5500. with the newer improvements on the new edition, I shouldn't have to put money or effort into a new seat and suspension. I figure I will instead put on frame protection, doohickey, oil screen, and ride the heck out of it. for the little price difference I would want to be the guy to break it in. I understand it's a great bike and does nothing great, but will do it all fairly well. what it does do great is meet a price point, and fairly good reliability. There is just something about being able to head down the fire roads or run though some trails that appeals to me. You guys just let me know I'm on the right train of thought, and it's as fun as it's advertised. I just need to get the Mrs on board.

Just found this over on ADV:

klr_zpsf07c2b66.jpg
Good One Greg, here is a nice Off Road Report on the new Generation KLR 650: https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/03/29/2013-adventure-bike-comparison-test-review-stats-photos/

How high do you ride? Oh wait, that's a Colorado rider problem.

From "Pitts" - Wes Jones:

I took a KLR up to the top of Haleakala (10,000 ft) and noticed no change in power or fueling. The bike ran great from idle right up to the limit on a ride from the beach to the top and back down again. I can't remember if I ever posted this here. This is my KLR ride from the top of Haleakala down to the near the Kula highway (10,000' down to about 3,000). And because I'm riding a KLR and no one wants to sit through a 20 minute video I sped it up to Bugs Bunny speed so you can see the changes in the climate/environs:

Haleakala Ride Down on Vimeo