Powerlet out of business, Warm and safe?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... and back to the thread
smile.png

The powerlet.com website is still up and you can still place an order. But you will not get any product. It appears that somebody has hijacked the site. Now the only option for payment is to use PayPal - though the page says you can also use a credit card. This might be because PayPal might be less aggressive at confronting fraud.

Also, if you try to call the listed 877 number, you will get a phishing site that tells you that you have won a $100 Walmart gift card if you... (did not listen past that point).

If you try the local number, it is disconnected.

Anybody know if there is a way to get fraud web sites taken down?
Meh. Black list it for your browser and move on. So many scam sites, so little time to kill them... oops here comes another. Think Wack-a-Mole on a cosmic scale.

... and back to the thread
smile.png

The powerlet.com website is still up and you can still place an order. But you will not get any product. It appears that somebody has hijacked the site. Now the only option for payment is to use PayPal - though the page says you can also use a credit card. This might be because PayPal might be less aggressive at confronting fraud.

Also, if you try to call the listed 877 number, you will get a phishing site that tells you that you have won a $100 Walmart gift card if you... (did not listen past that point).

If you try the local number, it is disconnected.

Anybody know if there is a way to get fraud web sites taken down?

Contact their ISP. Do a WhoIs.

It's hosted by GoDaddy (until 2021). That's the worst. Expect them to keep it active well past the end of the contract, then pass the info on to former employees right before they release it so that the employee can scoop it up and hold it hostage. You can try to inform them about the site. You might get results. You can already see GoDaddy has it set for Client Delete/Renew/Transfer/Update Prohibited so even if the business wanted to change the site to a "we're gone", they (or Icann) most likely couldn't (at least wrt the IP routing info).

https://who.is/whois/powerlet.com

Last edited by a moderator:
What's a powerlet? does it keep you warm and safe? Do I need one?
jester.gif

Honestly I still don't know what one is. I missed the boat somewhere.

Dave

A "Powerlet socket" is a water proof socket, similar to a cig lighter socket but much more robust, seals itself when not in use(automatic cover flips closed).

It was originally (to my knowledge) designed by BMW, Powerlet copied it and "Warm and Safe" carries a version of it.

It's permanently attached to the bike and is used for battery chargers (if wired direct to the battery),heated clothing, air compressors, etc.

You don't need the auxiliary two wire cables hanging out from the battery. I prefer mine on the left side as I mount and dismount from that side.

Some pic's on the FJR, my FZ6, etc:

Non ES FJR (with helmet lock above the outlet):

ES FJR:

My FZ6:

I have Powerlets on all of my bikes and like the easy connection but it wouldn't ruin anything for me if I had to give them up. I can see the simplicity of just going with the SAE connector alone. Maybe a combination of both would be a clean set-up.

41YF8x8QtRL._SX355_.jpg

I have bought several Hella style plugs from John Deere over the years. Don't know if they have the female end of that connection but would think they would have something for the male end to plug into.

Go see your John Deere dealer. You might even come home with a riding mower to make life easier. Get a Russell Day Long for the mower so you can last to mow the entire lawn.

And use Amsoil in it.

And put Dunlop touring tires on it. They last longer.

And don't forget Heli Bars to get that steering wheel up high so you don't have to lean forward. Probably want to heat that steering wheel also.

ROFL

I tried a Corbin saddle on my Z425 ZTR and it's still not broken in. Amsoil hasn't worked well for me - I use Mobil 1 and the crank hasn't seized. Yet. K&N filters are a win all around.

I added the running light kit (really), which helps with "around sunset" mowing but doesn't work well enough to mow after sunset. I might just try LED's. (again, really).

While I don't, and never will, have a hitch on the bike, a hitch (add-on) kit is worth it's weight in owl feathers. Ditto for the foot rest kit, all though highway pegs aren't available. But who takes a ZTR on the road anyway?

I needed a rear Powerlet socket for my heated gear on the new Tracer GT. Luckily Revzilla had one in stock at a 20% discount. It's all mounted up. I sure was happy to be able to get one.

I used their on-line contact form a week ago. I asked them to reply and put rumors to rest.
No reply yet.
Member ShoopCE went thru this exactly (after installing brackets and using the link I provided) almost a month ago. He's the one that found this out.

It's not a rumor. Try calling, you won't get thru...

Nope. Many businesses that close, walk away from all the related work like cleaning up active web sites because they have no interest any more (or they farmed it out and there's little incentive to pay for changed). That leaves web sites "active" until the domain lease expires.