Powerlet Rearset Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Laser

Reaction score
Well, they are to me anyway. To whit:

Grab the socket end of the harness and start routing the harness by looping

the wires down through the gap in the frame next to the steering head.

What does looping the wires mean?

Lift up the rubber cover [E] on the engine side of the frame to receive the harness.

What does the engine side of the frame mean, and is it the same rubber cover as below?

Pull most of the harness through the hole toward the engine (under the tank).

What hole toward the engine?

The harness should pass under the front part of the rubber cover & tank hinge bracket

[E] and over the back portion of the cover [F].

What rubber cover are they talking about?

That's all I can think of for now...more later, I'm sure. It looks to me like most of the routing

is on the right side of the bike, with a cross-over near the seat somewhere.

Sorry for all the lame questions, but thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall looking at photographs in the instructions?

IIRC, looping there just means not stretching them tight at the battery, leave some strain relief. As far as the rubber covers, I recall staring at the path and it sort of made sense at the time, there is an opening in the framework under the tank to pass the wires through (under-then-over the rubber covers). I don't think I had to unscrew the rubber cover, just pop it up. You are correct about the route, runs along the right side until the rear of the tank.

I recall looking at photographs in the instructions?
IIRC, looping there just means not stretching them tight at the battery, leave some strain relief. As far as the rubber covers, I recall staring at the path and it sort of made sense at the time, there is an opening in the framework under the tank to pass the wires through (under-then-over the rubber covers). I don't think I had to unscrew the rubber cover, just pop it up. You are correct about the route, runs along the right side until the rear of the tank.
So...

Do I run the harness into the hole next to the VIN number, then sticking it

up through the hole in the frame somewhere underneath, followed by under

the rubber cover (which I found) on the right side of the bike as you sit on it?

Doesn't appear to be very easy to do...lots of wires in there, and I'm kind of

worried about scraping the insulation off the wiring due to sharp edges on the

frame. It DOES sort of make sense, though, but their pic looks like the wiring

is on the outside of the frame if you look at it. (See in the instructions here:)

https://www.powerletproducts.com/pdf/pkt036.pdf

Please let me know what you think...

Jim