Powerlet Socket Woes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pale Rider 07

Reaction score
I never thought I would have such a difficult time installing a Powerlet socket. I'm running power for a GPS that is tied into the power for the cigarette lighter power socket. I have an 07 with heated grips, so the usual spot is taken up by the controller for the heat. I can't find a place anywhere on that panel that has enough clearance to mount the standard socket. Anyone out there had any luck installing in that panel?

I just mounted mine next to the 'glove box' door. It was a tight fit, but there was just barely enough room. I don't think there's a difference between your '07 and my '11 in that respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my Gen I, I put it to the rear of the battery on the "D" panel. Fits there just fine and don't think that the Gen II version cluttered up that area. In fact, Powerlet has a pre wired kit that hooks directly to the battery and is a snap to install. Looking again I see that they make a kit for the left hand side so there may not be room on the right, but worth a looksee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered simply adding a direct-wire solution? Your GPS can be directly wired to the battery via an inline fuse or Fuzebox. I just ordered one made by Gilsson from GPSCity.com for $21.95. I expect it will be a much more reliable and neater installation. The connector to the GPS can be easily hidden when not in use. When I need a cigar-lighter adapter, I use the Powerlet adapter with an SAE plug in one end, and connect that to the battery tender lead that inconspicuously hides next to the fork down in the cowling.

You can get a stem nut drilled for a Ram ball, and powerlet makes a socket that will attach to that.

IMG_4206.jpg

Thanks for the pics and suggestions! I can find room on top of the panel for the socket, it's the space underneath that I'm having trouble with. Most of those spots I can't get the nut to fit, let alone the larger washer. I had thought about installing on the shiny stuff, but was hesitant. Now that I see a couple of pics, it does not look bad at all. Might take a second look at doing that. I also thought about wiring it direct, but I like having the power cut to the unit when I shut the bike off. Not sure how long it would take to run the battery down on just the GPS, but don't want to find out on the road. :huh:

Thanks again!

Dave

I also thought about wiring it direct, but I like having the power cut to the unit when I shut the bike off. Not sure how long it would take to run the battery down on just the GPS, but don't want to find out on the road. :huh:
I wired mine directly to the battery so that I can also use it as an easy-access plug for a battery tender in the winter.

I also have my Garmin Zumo 550 cradle wired directly to the battery. I've left the GPS on while at work all day a few times with no problems.

I never gave much though to mounting my powerlet..Kinda small and ugly ya know. :blink:

But if I did, I think behind closed doors in the garage, or maybe a secluded back road at night.. ;)

I was just about to ask...what is the point/advantage to these powerlets? I've never actually seen them on a bike but from what I have observed from pictures, they look like a different design than the standard 12v auto socket. what am I missing?

I was just about to ask...what is the point/advantage to these powerlets? I've never actually seen them on a bike but from what I have observed from pictures, they look like a different design than the standard 12v auto socket. what am I missing?
Most people I think would come up with 2 major reasons: 1) you can power a small air compressor with one as it's directly connected to the battery with a high amp fuse. 2) you can directly connect a batter tender to one.

Some use them for heated clothing also, not me, I just ride and freeze ;)

I never gave much though to mounting my powerlet..Kinda small and ugly ya know. :blink:

But if I did, I think behind closed doors in the garage, or maybe a secluded back road at night.. ;)
Busta, regarding that behind closed doors thing, would that be with or without dielectic grease? :blink:

I've been told that things stay in the Powerlet hole better than a conventional cigarette lighter plug. :unsure: Sometimes my XM plug works its way out of the cigarette lighter plug. :eek:

Busta, regarding that behind closed doors thing, would that be with or without dielectic grease? :blink:
As dielectric action isn't an issue thus-far I find a squirt of penetrating oil works pretty well thank you...