Pre-North to Alaska Ramble - Festar, BigJohnSD and Kip Walker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
Lots of snow up top on 14A between Burgess Junction and Lovell WY, roads clear and dry.
Sited over 20 Moose between Burgess Junction and Lovell WY yesterday evening.
20190603_185519-XL.jpg

Got pictures of the one that posed for FESTAR!
20190603_184805-XL.jpg

20190603_184755-XL.jpg

Festar, Kip and I rode the Beartooth this morning, a lot of snow cover remains up top.
Snow banks obscure views through many corners, snow banks right up to the Fog Line and Guard rails.
No ice on the road today, Several spots of water crossing the road.
We passed several Harleys and a few cars and pickups, a generally unimpeded transit from Red Lodge to the Chief Joseph Junction.

No snow on Chief Joseph. Patches under some trees and in shady North slopes.

Shell Canyon from Greybull to Burgess Junction US14 was clear and dry,
We filtered to the front of a work site where they were clearing rocks from the shoulders near the canyon entrance, followed a pilot car for several miles and then had an unimpeded run to Burgess Junction.
Caught the previous group through the work zone after about 20 minutes just a few miles from Burgess Junction.

Ran Ten Sleep Canyon/Pass from Buffalo WY to Ten Sleep and Back this afternoon. Snow on top but roads clear and dry. One of the best Ten Sleep Runs I've ever made, Did see two of Wyoming's finest, one was "occupado" with a cage, the other zapped us with KA out of his rear window as we passed going opposite directions but we had slowed significantly and there was no pursuit.

Saw no PoPO anywhere else.

We did 980 miles from 1400 Monday until 2000 tonight (Tuesday)
PreAlaska%20Ramble%202019-XL.png

Some dipshit forgot to turn on his SPOT leaving Red Lodge this morning :roll: so the Red Lodge to 212/Chief Joseph Beartooth run shows as a straight line
laugh.png

Stopped in Red Lodge last evening at the Alpine Inn. a motorcycle friendly Motel within walking distance of the Brewery.
They serve a great cooked to order breakfast as part of your room $$.

Stopped and visited with the Manager at the Chateau Rouge, site of next years Rendezvous at Red Lodge II. Mr. Gilligan sais he had quite a few reservations, that the Lions Club was ready and able to do dinner again and that he had a new Breakfast Burrito person as the previous vendor has left town.

Festar loves everything about his Vstrom save the Fuel Economy. Mid-30's at best, lucky to get 180 miles per tank.

Mid-thirties? My 2014 gets 42ish when moving right along, low has been 38-40, high 48.Wonder if Festars bike has been monkeyed with? Sprockets maybe?

Mid-thirties? My 2014 gets 42ish when moving right along, low has been 38-40, high 48.Wonder if Festars bike has been monkeyed with? Sprockets maybe?
you gotta to twist the throttle a little more to dip into the 30's
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif