preperations for my Alaska trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retarded

Reaction score
To all the seasoned alaska travelers out there;I am trying to make preperations for my trip.I have lists of things to take and not take and different routes etc. If anyone out there could advise me on the best time to start my trip it would be greatly appreciated.I want to avoid all the rain I :glare:can.In the U.S. it doesn't mak :glare: e much difference but in Canada it will make a huge difference,along with the cold as in low 30's.

A few years ago my buddies and I planned an over-3K mile off-highway dual-sport trip along the Continental Divide. We planned for over a year. One of the many discussions centered around when was the best time to go. We decided on the first full week in August.

We spent 2 weeks riding -- getting there and back plus 10/11 days on the trail with fine weather (one day of afternoon rain showers).

I know it's not AK... (but it's some, maybe relevant?, info).

Last edited by a moderator:
On our trip last year we headed north after CFR (Nakusp BC) June 21st.

Weather was fine and by the time we got to Alaska ~ 1st week of July it was quite hot.

Best of all we were ahead of the bugs.

General opinion I got from the locals is that the late summer is wetter and much buggier than early summer.

Oh and there is no way you will avoid all the rain so pack good rain gear.

Chris

Based on personal experience, I strongly recommend you get a bug net that will fit over your helmet, with a cinch cord at the bottom. On any summer-time trip to Alaska, the Yukon, or northern British Columbia, you'll get stopped a couple of times a day for road construction. It could be five minutes, or it could be 45 minutes - you just never know. While you're waiting, you'll want to be able to open your shield or flip up your chin-bar to get some air, and without bug protection you'll be attacked.

Here's one from REI that includes a goofy-looking hat, but the netting will work well over a helmet. Bass Pro Shops, or most any sporting good store will have something similar.

Trust me on this one.

Alaska is hard on your bike because of all the construction zones. I would suggest two things:

1. Fly to Anchorage and rent a bike.

2. Plenty to see in Canada from Calgary to Jasper.

+1 on the bug net. I never did Alaska on a bike just a 4x4, but those mosquitos are as big as helicopters. I found this very cool hammock at REI that fit in a very small bag and sealed you in with zipper netting. I just it a fair amount vs the tent. The worst part IMO are the RV caravans stay away from them.

BugR is right on. I was there same time last year. The year before in late July rain rain rain.The year before that early June very little rain, just my experience . I will pm you with some route ideas, I have posted them before .

+1 on the rain gear. Expect and prepare for bad weather. I have been up twice and departed mid June both times. The first time, it was cold and rained from MT to Anchorage, but was mostly nice the rest of the trip. Last summer, it rained from Banff to Whitehorse, with a terrible hail-thunderstorm around Summit Lake, but little after that.

Expect +-40 at night, so heated grips, electric jacket liner, hand guards, and bigger windshield sure help. Suggest a Pinlock shield if you don't have one. Didn't fog up, even in the mid 30's.

I met a Harley rider at Pink Mountain gas stop last summer, 200 miles up the Alcan, on his way home to WI. It was pouring and he was totally disgusted with the trip. He had started June lst and said he had a rain cloud over him for the total trip. Also hated the roads. The locals around Anchorage indicated the summer of 2008 never arrived. It was a cool, crappy, cloudy summer.

Never had a problem with bugs, camped, and didn't even have bug spray along last summer. Not sure about the reports? Maybe the bugs arrive later in the summer.

I picked up $200 Canadian from my bank before leaving. Call your credit cards letting them know you will be out of the country. Unlike the US, pay phones are available. I purchased a Canadian calling card at a campground, which was inexpensive. Once on the Alcan, don't expect cell service.

Purchase a 2010 Milepost, which should now be available. Route suggestion. First time, I rode the Alcan both ways. Last summer, rode back to Watson Lake, then took the Cassiar south to Hyder. Except for construction, it is now fully paved and a wonderful ride. I don't mind riding road construction, but have little interest in riding roads like the haul road, so I can't help with that. I like the southern part of AK better, so this time I stayed around the mountains at Valdez, Seward, +Anchorage. Skagway is beautiful, but a tourist trap.

Enjoy. JR

You should prepare for cold and rain, and be pleased with hot weather. I went in late July - early Aug, and hit rain from Calgary to the AK border. AK was dry. Coming back, the AlCan was dry, but Calgary to MN was rain all the way. Hit both hot and cold weather too. Bring an insulated vest that fits over your riding jacket, plus electric vest or electric jacket if you have one. No matter what the weather, wonderful trip. The AlCan does have gravel in construction, but it's a great road - blacktop all the way and wonderful country to ride.

Unlike other posters my experiences were quite different. I left Connecticut in mid July & rode to Montana before heading north & picking up the Alcan highway. I rode to Fairbanks before riding south just past Denali. The weather I had was actually very good. No rain at all. It does get cold in the early morning hours. On the way back in the Yukon it was abt 36 F at 4 in the morning, and plenty foggy. I rode by two grizzlies by the side of the road in the fog - another pucker moment at 20 mph. The good news is there are more daylight riding hours than you can use :rolleyes:

Although there is constant construction on the Alcan I ran into only 1 spot where I had to sit & wait fr about 15 minutes. The road was in very good shape. Where they patched potholes they throw this gravely mix over them - can be exciting in the turns. I found that they marked these constructions spots with small flags on the roadside. Keep alert for them.

Bugs were not a problem for me. I forget where (maybe Cabella's??) I picked up the highest concentration of DEET in a bug repellent. It may have had me smelling pretty ripe at the end of a long day but bugs were a non-issue.

Its the ride of a lifetime - enjoy the hell out of it!

Latest posts