Pros/Cons of the 6th gear?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JV1

Reaction score
I've got a 2007 and like just about everything about it except knowing that there are 6 speed versions as of 2016. I'm interested in getting a newer (used) model with the 6th gear but thought I would ask a few questions here.

Has anybody had both versions? Is the 6th gear quieter at high speeds? Better mpg, etc? Are there any cons to the 6th gear?

Thanx, Frederick

Thanx for responding Bobby. 5 gears are great for local riding but I'm planning on some weeks-long cross country rides and the 6th gear sounds great especially if it lowers the loudness of the engine and improves mpg riding long boring stretches. I've got a 2006 Hayabusa and use it's 6th gear all the time when I'm on the way home from more exhilarating out-bound riding. Love it. I like cruising around 75 mph with the rpm's in the mid 2000's. I think my Hayabusa performs like that but I haven't ridden it much recently as I've gone over 60 in age (and just retired) and leaning over on that bike is a real pain these days. Thinking of selling it and the 2007 FJR to get a 6th gear FJR if folks say it's worth it. I still ride my 1 speed 50cc Yamaha Vino all over town.  I probably have more fun on that than on any of my big bikes.

I've got a 2007 and like just about everything about it except knowing that there are 6 speed versions as of 2016. I'm interested in getting a newer (used) model with the 6th gear but thought I would ask a few questions here.

Has anybody had both versions? Is the 6th gear quieter at high speeds? Better mpg, etc? Are there any cons to the 6th gear?

Thanx, Frederick
Don't expect a huge difference in the RPM at 75. The 2007 is about 3900, the 6-speed is about 3650. You can see my gear ratio calculations, click these links for the Gen 2 5-speed and the 6-speed.

Maybe a little quieter at speed, and it does make a difference in terms of the gear you choose for some types of riding.

Personally, I wouldn't change just for the gear ratios, though you might prefer the clutch on the 6-speed. What made me really glad to change were the LED lights on the later 6-speeds. If you ever do any night riding in unlit streets, they make almost a night and day improvement in visibility, as well as making you a little more visible to car drivers in the day.

Thanx for responding Bobby. 5 gears are great for local riding but I'm planning on some weeks-long cross country rides and the 6th gear sounds great especially if it lowers the loudness of the engine and improves mpg riding long boring stretches. I've got a 2006 Hayabusa and use it's 6th gear all the time when I'm on the way home from more exhilarating out-bound riding. Love it. I like cruising around 75 mph with the rpm's in the mid 2000's. I think my Hayabusa performs like that but I haven't ridden it much recently as I've gone over 60 in age (and just retired) and leaning over on that bike is a real pain these days. Thinking of selling it and the 2007 FJR to get a 6th gear FJR if folks say it's worth it. I still ride my 1 speed 50cc Yamaha Vino all over town.  I probably have more fun on that than on any of my big bikes.
5 gears worked for the 2003 Iron Butt Rally (and many after that). So "distance" with 5 gears isn't an issue either. If you WANT a new bike, don't confuse the issue with rationalizations.

6 gears worked for the 2003 Iron Butt Rally (and many after that).
5 gears??

The FJR is perfectly comfortable at any cruising speed (and beyond) with only five gears.  There will be very little noticeable reduction in "noise" with the sixth gear. As per mcatrophy there isn't a huge difference in rpm and you get far more wind noise than engine noise anyway. 

If I could "upgrade" my 2011 5-speed to the six I might do it but only if it didn't cost me anything.  Not a big deal, in my opinion.  Now the other refinements in the newer bikes (LED lights, cruise, electronic suspension, instrument display, throttle-by-wire, drive modes etc.) would be more desirable to me.

Thanx mcatrophy. The charts really show the details I was seeking. It's disappointing to see they didn't use the 6th gear for quiet, less engine vibration cruising at high speed. Seems like a wasted opportunity to me. What's the point in adding it if it really isn't a difference maker? What were they thinking if anything other than, "let's add a gear to make it "betterer", lol

What year has the better lights? I plan on doing a cross-country trip and better lights would be beneficial, maybe even betterer.

Thanx, Frederick

Thanx mcatrophy. The charts really show the details I was seeking. It's disappointing to see they didn't use the 6th gear for quiet, less engine vibration cruising at high speed. Seems like a wasted opportunity to me. What's the point in adding it if it really isn't a difference maker? What were they thinking if anything other than, "let's add a gear to make it "betterer", lol

What year has the better lights? I plan on doing a cross-country trip and better lights would be beneficial, maybe even betterer.

Thanx, Frederick

They did use the 6th gear for 'quiet, less engine vibration cruising at high speed'.  How low can you go?  I have both 5 and 6 speed FJRs in my garage.  Nothing wrong with the 5 speed.  But the 6 speed is just a bit nicer for highway cruising at 65+ mph.

I have a 2008 and a 2015, both 5 gears. I used to ride 6 gear BMWs and I never saw the need for the 6th gear, it's just more fuss for no gain. I deliberately sought out one of the last 5 speed FJRs. 

No cons have come to light for the ‘16 and newer bikes. Although not needed, the newer 6-speeds aren’t as busy at higher speeds which makes for a more relaxed cruise. My next FJR will be a ‘19A unless the black-gold final edition comes stateside...then all bets are off!

~G

It's disappointing to see they didn't use the 6th gear for quiet, less engine vibration cruising at high speed. Seems like a wasted opportunity to me. What's the point in adding it if it really isn't a difference maker? What were they thinking if anything other than, "let's add a gear to make it "betterer", lol
Roskean is right, it's down to journalists, who keep commenting on the "lack" of a 6th gear, so Yamaha added one.

But journalists would have been the first to complain if the pick-up in top for overtaking wasn't as good, and as to the concept of top speed being lower in 6th than in 5th, that would be a real downer for them. 

So Yamaha added a 6th gear that wasn't too different. 

As for the improved clutch, can't really comment; I am fortunate to always have had YCC-S versions of the FJR, still available in the UK. 

But, as I said above, the LED lights on my 2018 are so much better than the old incandescent ones (2016 onwards).

Thanx, Frederick
Frederick,

If you are happy with your 07 and it is not beat up with high mileage I would suggest you have the final drive modified with the Star Venture gearing. That will give you the same fifth gear ratio as the current six gear trans. I have had it on my 2014ES for six years. At 80mph my tach reads 3700rpm. In addition to final drive mod I run a 190/55-17 rear tire. The up-sizing on rear tire will make your speedo dead on with actual speed. As for noise and mpg benefits, I cannot say the noise reduction has been significant. My overall mpg is 40.0 with 50500 miles on the odo.

Art

When I was younger ... my 2nd car was a 1969 Chevy Chevelle (Wagon) with a 3 (speed) on the tree.  I even taught my mom how to drive a stick with it.

Now my Buick has a 4speed auto and my Chrysler has a 6 speed auto.  I prefer the steadier, constant power of the 4 speed.

My Connie (first ST) had 6 speeds and needed them... to reduce rpms and slow the buzz. But it took lots of shifts up and down to get across town in traffic.

I love my 5 speed FJR for fewer shifts than the Connie, more low end grunt like the Chevelle, and endless days of smooth running across states (of mind).

Latest posts