Pros/Cons of the 6th gear?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experiences parallel roger dodger’s. 

Couldn’t agree more. Love my 5 speed. 

Pick a gear, and gooooo. . . . 

I'll just chime in with more of the same. I have never once thought "what if my 2007 FJR had a 6th gear".  I don't get the need and I would consider it a very, very slight negative to have it.

I don't think it's the journalists that pushed it as much as those potential buyers who look at features and don't know what they want or need. I've seen in posts elsewhere where people say that they would consider an FJR, but it only has 5 speeds where the competition has 6.  Marketing isn't about making what people need, but what people think they want.  I don't fault Yamaha for doing the 6 speed for this reason, though. I hope they sell more so we can get a 2022 model.

Having had both back to back, the lower rpms at speed is nice. But I never felt underserved by the five speed. I can’t remember whether it was 85 or 95mph, but I was right at 1,000 rpm lower on the (2018) six speed vs. the (2014) five speed, as indicated by the tachometer on both bikes. No better mileage. No higher top speed. The led lighting and lighter clutch pull (and cornering lights) were far more meaningful improvements than the gearing, to me. 

Don't forget the added bonus of the potential self-destruction of 2nd gear in the six speed!  

Will be interesting to see how that plays out over time and what sort of experience people have with the recall work.  (I am assuming that bikes imported into the US will be affected as are at least some Canadian and European machines.)  Haven't heard of more than one or two failures.  I wonder if more problems will crop up as the bikes get more miles on them.

I put 300,000+ Km's on my 2003 five speed and in all those km's, the only time I needed one more gear was at freeway speeds. Now I have a 2016, six speed and at freeway speeds, I still want one more gear. Before I bought it, I asked the dealer why the switch to the 6 speed and he just said "customer demand." But, everyone that I talked to only felt the need was at freeway speeds and the desire was for a taller gear - an Autobahn gear. And, what did we get ? If the new 6th is taller than the old 5th, it can't be by much. Someone didn't listen very carefully to the customers.

On my 2014, top speed was reached in 5th. On my 2018, top speed is reached in 5th. I can maintain in 6th, but escape velocity happens in 5th. 6th is just tall enough that it’d take me an entire county to crawl up to max. 

I put 300,000+ Km's on my 2003 five speed and in all those km's, the only time I needed one more gear was at freeway speeds.
Odd. I've done hour-long at over a ton and never had that issue with my '03 (at US speeds as opposed to those I found even on the trans-highway in CA which seemed to be posted exceedingly slow). Even at most sedate Iron Butt Rally speeds, it was fine for all sorts of stuff over my pipsqueak effort of only about 9000 miles in 11 days.

Odd. I've done hour-long at over a ton and never had that issue with my '03 (at US speeds as opposed to those I found even on the trans-highway in CA which seemed to be posted exceedingly slow). Even at most sedate Iron Butt Rally speeds, it was fine for all sorts of stuff over my pipsqueak effort of only about 9000 miles in 11 days.
90% of my Km's were done in the U.S. and I never ride the TransCanada unless absolutely necessary.

90% of my Km's were done in the U.S. and I never ride the TransCanada unless absolutely necessary.
Thanks. More info is always good when trying to understand things.

Now my next question (that I would ask of US residents too): What part(s) of the US (and for part B: Primarily east or west of the Mississippi River)?

17 hours ago, Goodman4 said:

This is why the 6 speed is better:

Pretty much. I've always liked that scene so my own Marshall got a little customizing (farkling?).

GoesTo11.jpg

From here: https://fjr-tips.org/misc/amp/DSL40C_Mod/A_Project.html

Thanks. More info is always good when trying to understand things.

Now my next question (that I would ask of US residents too): What part(s) of the US (and for part B: Primarily east or west of the Mississippi River)?
I'm in Vancouver so most of my riding is West of the Mississippi. In fact, the last ride on my 2003 FJR was across the Mississippi, in May 2019 when I rode to Birmingham, Alabama and donated the bike and all of my older riding gear to the Barber Motorsport Museum.

I do keep a ride log and you can see exactly where I've been since I resumed riding back in 1998.  Ride Log

Most of my trips of 2 weeks or less end up in either Colorado or California or both. Washington, east of the mountains, and Oregon have some great roads. Northern New Mexico is also nice. More than that and I go further east. I love upstate NY and Atlantic Canada. The farthest that I've been is to the end of the pavement on the Labrador Coast at Red Bay. Down to the Deep South 3 times.

I bought a CBR1000RR this past February and that's been my day ride bike this year. I have mounted the FJR bags on it so it will do touring duty at some point. I even did a Saddlesore 1600 Km on it this year. And, just so we stay on topic, it does have a 6 speed transmission that has no 2nd gear issues.   CBR1000RR with FJR Bags

Thanks for bothering to ask what looks like a busybody question. The US (for those who don't know) is split basically around the M River (with exceptions): East congested and exceedingly low posted speed limits; west the opposite of that (longer sight lines, less traffic, higher posted limits).  It makes a big difference on how some people perceive a bike's suitability for any specific task.

My original point that, even at the flow of traffic out west (higher posted limits with the flow sometimes being higher than that), I've never seen a real need for a 6th even with hours-long tonnage. Sure I've tried to shift up when in Top Gear but that's no a failing of the bike. It's my failing (operator error) that would happen if in 6th too.

Sure I've tried to shift up when in Top Gear but that's no a failing of the bike.
And after enjoying what seemed to be unusually great performance for an hour at 75 mph+, I have looked down and discovered that I am still in 4th.

Vibration not an issue and increased engine noise/pitch not especially noticed with earplugs.

Bought my ’05 back in 2014 and my test ride was just a quick low speed trip around the seller’s neighborhood (first time riding an FJR). Completed the deal and rode it 10 miles home, some of which was on the freeway.

FIRST time in top gear and I’m looking for another gear… Nope!  I was really disappointed at how busy it felt at freeway speeds for a 1300 cc engine.  However, a few mos later, after some research and a few emails, I had a regeared final drive for a 10% reduction.
I was the 2nd customer in the US to get this as it wasn’t a well known modification at the time; the forums were mostly filled with misinformation about swapping vmax gears or FD units.  Now I run with a 190 rear tire and I’m happy… and no, first gear is not too tall.

I fully understand that the 5 speed is just fine as is but my goal was simply to reduce the revs at freeway speeds…. I wasn’t looking for better mpg or to extend the life of the engine.  I’m around 2900 revs at 60mph which is comparable to the latest 6 speeds trans.

Regards,

Mr. BR

Bought my ’05 back in 2014 and my test ride was just a quick low speed trip around the seller’s neighborhood (first time riding an FJR). Completed the deal and rode it 10 miles home, some of which was on the freeway.

FIRST time in top gear and I’m looking for another gear… Nope!  I was really disappointed at how busy it felt at freeway speeds for a 1300 cc engine.  However, a few mos later, after some research and a few emails, I had a regeared final drive for a 10% reduction.

I was the 2nd customer in the US to get this as it wasn’t a well known modification at the time; the forums were mostly filled with misinformation about swapping vmax gears or FD units.  Now I run with a 190 rear tire and I’m happy… and no, first gear is not too tall.

I fully understand that the 5 speed is just fine as is but my goal was simply to reduce the revs at freeway speeds…. I wasn’t looking for better mpg or to extend the life of the engine.  I’m around 2900 revs at 60mph which is comparable to the latest 6 speeds trans.

Regards,

Mr. BR
It was Mr BR's original post on this Forum that tipped me to this mod. I seem to have a bit higher gearing (2014) than Mr BR (2005). At 60mph I am at 2600rpm. I too have a 190/55 rear tire. 

I put 271,000 km on my 2003 (5 speed).  Truly loved that bike.  In the later years there was much grumbling on the forums about needing a 6th gear.  I would just scratch my head as I really couldn’t understand why.

In 2018 I bought an new 6 speed.  I would have been just as happy if it had the original 5 speed.  I was never completely happy with the smoothness or lack there off with the shifting, especially going into 5th and 6th.

For extended highway running, the 6th is nice.  For back road running, I think I was more at home with the 5 speed.

I find myself shifting more with the new bike, almost like running a 600 compared a litre bike.

I can hold my own in the twisties but I definitely need to ride the new bike differently to keep the same pace.

Others may not agree but the things that really impress me with this bike compared to the 2003 are;

- Cruise control 

- Heated Grips

- LED lighting

- Overall better weather protection 

- abs & Traction Control

- Electronic Suspension 

As far as the original question on the 5 speed compared to the 6 speed.  I’m pretty neutral.  It really depends on what type of riding you do.

Canadian FJR

Rpms are always relative. 

I find if you up-shift @ 4500 -6000 normally ... 

then droning down the freeway @ 3500 -5000 seems totally normal .