Pros/Cons of the 6th gear?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now have a 2012 5 speed and a 2016 six speed. Love them both. Had a gen 1 and a gen 2 before those. Never saw the need for a 6 speed till I actually rode one. Love that slightly taller gear on the highway, but still like the old 5 speed. Like the upgrades on the gen 3, but still love the 2012. Was going to sell the 2012, but decided to keep it for now after I got no good offers at a low to me price I was selling it for. I figured if Scooter could keep more than one, so could I. Ha! Need a bigger garage. 5 bikes total now.

GP

I've got a 2007 and like just about everything about it except knowing that there are 6 speed versions as of 2016. I'm interested in getting a newer (used) model with the 6th gear but thought I would ask a few questions here.

Has anybody had both versions? Is the 6th gear quieter at high speeds? Better mpg, etc? Are there any cons to the 6th gear?

Thanx, Frederick
There are a lot of reasons for upgrading IMO. I've had 5 FJRs (4,6,7,13,16) and each one is better than the previous one. I rode my son's 06 (mine previous) yesterday and I kept looking for 6th. Fairing design, brakes, slipper clutch, lights are some of the reasons I upgraded. 6th is a bonus.

George

FYI, Fender amps go to 11. The Fender Tweed Blues Junior amp goes to 12 for all settings. Is it louder? Of course not, but some some fools will believe it's louder. 

I really like my 5 speed FJR. I've ridden the 6 speed model, but don't see enough difference to upgrade from my 2014 ES.

FYI, Fender amps go to 11. The Fender Tweed Blues Junior amp goes to 12 for all settings. Is it louder? Of course not, but some some fools will believe it's louder. 
I have a Fender Hot Rod Deville. I can't imagine turning any of the dials past 8 on that amp.

I totally agree. Our lead player runs his Blues Junior at 7 and we're always on him to turn it down. He likes the tone when one overdrives the tubes. I like it when my ears don't burst.

I have a 500 watt Eden bass amp and and I rarely run it past 4. My hearing is suffering the way it is. I even ride the FJR with ear plugs now. It sure does help, but I miss the sweet sound of that motor. 

Still, I like my 5 speed FJR. To each his own. It's great to have a choice between 5 speed or six. I'm sure this will soon be settled, right after the oil and tire discussions.

I rode an XJ750 way back and that had a five speed tranny. Even with that puny power (by comparison to the FJR) it felt just fine. The meaty torque of the FJR seems to be happy with five speeds.

Bounce said:
If he wants distortion, then Fender's not the way to go. Fender's known for it clean tones. Marshall and others (tubes especially) are all about the crunch.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the 5th or 6th gear conversation?

Not sure what any of this has to do with the 5th or 6th gear conversation?
Scooter, this "amp" talk was code among the 5 speed owners for commenting on the 6th gear recall. We weren't sure whether to include you as someone currently living in both worlds, but now that Mama Yamaha has spoken, it can be discussed openly.

There's no need for the 6th gear, but no downside to it.  If you're looking to upgrade for it, its not needed.  On paper it sounded good and I know I'd regret it if I didn't have it as the grass is always greener.  However, having it I rarely use it.  It's basically an overdrive gear to lower RPM's when I'm cruising on the hwy at 70 mph plus with the cruise control on.  If I'm on a curvy road at those speeds, it never gets used.

When living in Maine I rarely got to use 5th gear on my 2014. So I never considered the need for a 6th. Now that I am living in Wyoming, we will see. Somehow I don't see me getting a newer bike. 

When living in Maine I rarely got to use 5th gear on my 2014. So I never considered the need for a 6th. Now that I am living in Wyoming, we will see. Somehow I don't see me getting a newer bike. 
You're kidding right? I remember a conversation I once had with a Goldwing rider who wished he had a 6th gear, and I said of my 2002 FJR, "I'm glad I don't have one, I'd probably be serving hard time!".

Just before I moved I made a run up 95. Cruise set at just over 80. Did not think about wanting another gear. Have not been able to get bike out of storage since I got here. Snowed yesterday.  Once I can get out on the long open roads here I will see how much trouble I get into and if I want another gear.

Another gear isn't going to be any faster.  A bit lower RPM at terminal velocity.  Maybe slightly higher top end downhill or with a tailwind but not practical. 

Only significant advantage is lower rpm at cruising speed.  

Odd that I didn't seem to have that problem into and out of Buxton for a checkpoint. Maybe that's why the rally master said that they had observed "some riders" being a little "too aggressive" when they were on their way to the host hotel.

Asking about six gears vs five negates all the FJRs incremental improvement.  Compared to my 09, my 17 is much smoother and gets 48-52 mpg vs 42-44.  I got cruise control and a host of other electrical wizardry going on.  Front forks a nearly maintenance free.   The rear shock and ES control could be better but honestly the 17 is a better bike.

I had 108k on the 09.  Now I have 17k on the 17.  I prefer the six to five as it lowers the engine rpm, saves some fuel and lowers the vibration just a bit.  Incremental improvement.

If you have only 5 speeds on your FJR, then you don't have to deal with the 2nd gear recall.  I'd put that one in the "con" category.

Asking about six gears vs five negates all the FJRs incremental improvement.  Compared to my 09, my 17 is much smoother and gets 48-52 mpg vs 42-44.  I got cruise control and a host of other electrical wizardry going on.  Front forks a nearly maintenance free.   The rear shock and ES control could be better but honestly the 17 is a better bike.

I had 108k on the 09.  Now I have 17k on the 17.  I prefer the six to five as it lowers the engine rpm, saves some fuel and lowers the vibration just a bit.  Incremental improvement.

Well said!

I don't ride as much as I used to but when I do I split my riding time primarily between my '13 5-spd and '17 ES 6-spd FJRs.  Frankly, I could easily live with either as my only FJR.  But, I would have to give the nod to the 6-spd generation of the FJRs as the *slightly* better version.  But, it's not all about the 6 gears.  I think the biggest improvement is the LED lighting, and throw in the slipper clutch with it's easier clutch pull as another incremental improvement.

Pros of the 6-spd:

-  Better interstate cruiser with the 6th gear for slightly less rpm, vibration, and better fuel mileage.

-  Awesome LED lighting

-  Slipper Clutch with it's easier clutch pull and smoother downshifts assuming you don't rev match.

-  Awesome USD forks on the ES.  Look great and virtually maintenance free!

Cons of the 6-spd:

-  More shifting.  Really, the 5-spd is more than adequate and less 'busy' while shifting through the gears.  Something I definitely notice.

-  The transmission recall

-  Doesn't 'speed shift' well.

Neutral of the 6-spd:

- The cornering lights on the ES version do absolutely nothing for me.

Unfortunately, they don't make my ultimate FJR.  As much as I am a fan of the ES FJR, my ultimate FJR would be a 6-spd A model but with the USD forks with Traxxion or Race Tech internals and a custom Wilbers or Ohlins shock set up for my tastes.  A boy can dream.....

If you have only 5 speeds on your FJR, then you don't have to deal with the 2nd gear recall.  I'd put that one in the "con" category.
But my '06 had recalls for the ignition switch, spider bite, and ECU.  Loved that bike, but I like the '16 a bit better, same reasoning as SkooterG mentioned.  LED lights are great.  ES suspension is nice when I go two-up, but not critical.

Couple of comments, I do like the 6th gear for motorways or for dribbling along above 50 or so.

I do find that, when riding on more interesting road, I rarely use 6th; 5th has quite a wide useful speed range.

Of course, having a YCC-S Gen 3 the ease of flicking between gears makes the actual number of gears almost irrelevant.

As for the LED lights, I am extremely impressed.

I don't do much night riding, but on one occasion on my previous FJR with the incandescents, on an unlit winding country road I had to slow to 30 or so just to stay on the road. One of the few times I've actually been frightened on a bike (the edges were lined with ditches and/or rocks, no white lines, just black tarmac edged with black disaster).

With the LED lights, on a similar road, I was able to ride comfortably at 60, able to see very adequately. It was on that occasion that I noticed being able to see further round corners than I had expected, which made me realise that the cornering lights can make a difference. Not huge, but certainly useful in the particular circumstances I was in.

Oh, and motorists do notice me more with the LEDs.

Latest posts