pulled the trigger... back in the fold

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burninrice

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a used '07 FJR1300 black cherry beauty with 1,000 orig miles. Traded my '05 ABS less my farkles for $3k. I am so happy to be back on an FJR after a few awkward months on a BMW GS.

I also race a Yamaha Phazer snowmobile to raise awareness for breast cancer. Check out my website www.pinkribbonracing.com . There are some cool race photos and stories up there. I plan on adding a motorcycle page this spring. Enjoy!

I pulled the trigger on a used '07 FJR1300 black cherry beauty with 1,000 orig miles. Traded my '05 ABS less my farkles for $3k. I am so happy to be back on an FJR after a few awkward months on a BMW GS.
I also race a Yamaha Phazer snowmobile to raise awareness for breast cancer. Check out my website www.pinkribbonracing.com . There are some cool race photos and stories up there. I plan on adding a motorcycle page this spring. Enjoy!

welcome back, mr cotter!!!!

way da go burn., only 1000 miles, still new! I had an `04 and traded it in on an`07 and found the bike to be substantially improved. You might want to check to see if the ECU needs to be replaced (as per factory recall) so u won`t have any fuelling problems when u r skooting in the mountains! Onward..... :assassin:

Yes, well, the BMW GS... I had wanted a BMW since I was a little kid, only, not so much a boxer but one of their inline 4s. Then I read Ghost Rider and started reading more and more about the GS and thought I wanted to go the adventure route. I looked at V-stroms (nice bikes, but no ABS on the 1000), rode a Buell Ulysses (cool to look at, but my foot was asleep from the vibration after a 30 mile test ride and it's still just a f+++ing Harley), and the KTM Adventure (the best of them all IMO, but you can't get any farkles for them, and if I wanted two gas caps, I'd buy a '77 Shovel Head!) Finally, I just had to have a GS. Found one in Michigan and flew out to ride it back.

The first thing that struck me about the BMW upon further observation was "I paid $13,000+ for this? Used?" Coming off 25 years of Japanese bikes, the sound of a boxer at idle makes you want to run and get a broom and dustpan. It is a mechanical cacophony, to say the least. No modern bike should sound that way. Then you start to realize that the BMW is a tax bracket bike. EVERYTHING is more expensive for a beamer. Throttlemeisters are $40 more, crash bars are $100 more. For God's sake, even BMW has the unmitigated gall to charge over $300 for a f+++ing tank bag. Thankfully, mine came with one.

Then, no matter what I did to the bike, I could never get fully comfortable on it. Three different seat combinations, windshields, etc. I could do 500+ mile days, day after day, on my old FJR and feel fine afterwards. I was dead-dog beat after 300 miles on the GS. I mean wore-out. Finally, I was doing some cow-trailing on the thing, just cruising last fall. I was ripping along a dirt road and hit a mud patch. Well, apparently I already had some mud on my tires and I went into a sliding tank-slapper. I was going down on a 500+ pound adventure bike. Parts fiche was flashing before my eyes along with a four digit bill for the stuff I was about to turn into a yard sale. Just then, my left saddle bag made contact with a three-wire fence running along side the road and saved me from going down. I had an epiphany, that this was the wrong bike.

Now I'm back on a FJR and I bought a nice used 2007 KLR650 for my cow-trailing needs.

I'm not saying the BMW isn't a cool or viable bike. All I'm saying is that when I hit my knees at night, the first person I thank is Mr. Honda. Whether you're riding an FJR, C-14, or an ST, we are riding a WHOLE lot of bike for the money! As with all Japanese bikes. Great looks, locking hard bags, ABS, instrumentation galore, all standard equipment and all for under $13,000 in most cases. Do they hold their value as well, who knows? Do they have the mystique, who give a shit! All I know is, I can walk into a BMW showroom and walk out the door with an RT for $20,000 that sounds like a Coleman generator or I can spend $9500 on a nice used '07 FJR with a 1000 miles. Hmm...

Sweet! I just pulled the trigger as well. Bought an 06 (manual clutch)....love the BLUE! It is my first FJR and my second bike. Traded in my 03 SV650. So far I've only ridden it home from the dealer, but all I can say is WOW....I mean WOW.....what a bike! So smooth and sure footed. Can't wait to start racking up the miles!

That SV is a cool little scoot too. Wouldn't mind having one of those for around town.

That's the problem with motorcycles, I could think of a good reason to have "one of those" of about 20 different bikes.

You can never have too many motorcycles or guitars IMO.

That SV is a cool little scoot too. Wouldn't mind having one of those for around town.
That's the problem with motorcycles, I could think of a good reason to have "one of those" of about 20 different bikes.

You can never have too many motorcycles or guitars IMO.
Yeah, I really hated to see it go, but this bike is so much more comfortable for longer distances. Plus my wife will be much more comfortable on back too. I'm looking at the different back rests....the one from Pirates Lair seems the most reasonable. All that plus I didn't have enough room in the garage for the 3 cars and "2" bikes.

Already ordered the frame sliders and headlight film. I think after the passenger backrest I'll be about done for a while.

Last edited by a moderator: