Pushed off highway today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Geezer,

The only point I was attempting to make was that drivers who are never looking for you will never see you until it's too late. It seems that you're also putting words in my mouth..............I never said or implied that a cars construction was an excuse for inattentive driving. It only compounds the problem of drivers who never look for us. Drivers that look for us are not the ones we have so many close calls with.

Here in South Texas bad drivers, I mean really bad, are the rule. Close calls are a common occurrence here. When I said listen to that little voice in your head, I meant it. Bad drivers usually have a "tell", if your paying attention that voice in your head will give a "dumbass ahead" vibe.. When close calls happen I would much rather spend time and effort safely avoiding that dumbass than blowing my horn and flashing my lights with the unreliable expectation that they will see and avoid me. I so seldom use my horn and flash my lights that I have to look for the switches when I use them. But that's enough of this.

As for being seen, I prefer the "Jink". I find that folks will be more likely to see you and even get out of your way/lane even when it's not my intention. Somewhere on this forum there was a link to an article on how the human eye responds to light, flashing vs. moving in a vertical or horizontal manner.

Finally, I can understand ones reasoning for after market horns and bright lights, but there are also other less expensive and just as effective safety measures we can discuss and employ. Ultimately we are responsible for our own safety regardless of the conditions we ride in.

Respectfully,

Daniel

Daniel78362,

After reading your last post I think we are in agreement regarding bad drivers. They are out there and we need to be careful.

Regarding the 'Jink', if you mean switching from one side of the lane to the other side once in a while, then I agree. It is especially effective to keep the attention of the driver behind you.

There has been a lot of discussion over the years about what kind of aftermarket lights and horns are effective, and why. Also discussions about blind spots and many other safety tips. There are different opinions about what each rider likes and why. I believe that you can't do too much to make yourself visible even though it is never going to get the attention of every driver.

These safety discussions are always good.

I am a great believer in the "jink". The Honolulu cops that tried to help me pass the moto driving test called it the "hula wiggle", but it's effective, whatever you call it.

And, Daniel78362, I also find myself in marginal situations frantically canceling my turn signals instead of honking. Good thing, like you described above, I have been able to suss out the idiot driver and maneuver safely before the marginal situations develop.

Stating the obvious; the laws of physics supersede traffic laws for our physical well being in impacts. Motorcycles are well down the list for any kind of favorable outcome. Legal statutes are left to sort out the aftermath. Vehicles operated by human beings are a concern. My own actions in a lifetime of driving have produced maneuvers that have endangered myself and others, especially as a young man with a death wish. Last weekend on I-5 coming through the traffic sardine can that is JBLM, a young soldier with his buddy in the front seat got confused about the order of things and started across into my lane and then did the "big body turn look over the right shoulder" to see what was there and with eyes like saucers saw an FJR not all that far from being in his back seat. Grabbing all of both brakes the ABS kicked in and the deceleration was enough to avoid impact. Wasn't mad, shook up or any of that, just grateful that I got on the brakes when the front end of the car twitched towards my lane of travel and that we missed each other. People drive while impaired, preoccupied, inexperienced, suicidal, depressed, angry and with screaming kids not to mention with failing health, minds, vision and hearing. Never mind those with no regard for life - there's or ours or those that can not secure a load. Any goof ball in a car can release their inner bully around a motorcycle. The collective strategies mentioned for staying in one piece are appreciated. When I gear up I figure there are a ton of people out there that I would enjoy their company over dinner but for one reason or another their driving on this day is not getting their A game and could very well injure me. The FJR ponies are useful to accelerate into open spaces between car packs to hang out in when traffic isn't gridlocked. Plenty of times I have wished that I was invisible but apart from the attention of LEO's regarding speed it was never while riding.

Ever heard of the five keys to safe driving?
Aim High
  • "Aiming high in steering" is the first principle of the Smith System. A driver who "aims high" looks far ahead and further than the drivers around him. Knowing traffic conditions up ahead keeps a driver alert to possible slowdowns. A driver who is aware of slowdowns or accidents can avoid rear-end collisions and warn drivers behind him of slowdowns by tapping his brakes.
Get the Big Picture
  • A driver who "gets the big picture" is aware of her surroundings at all times. This principle teaches drivers to be aware of how closely they are being followed and whether any driver nearby is driving erratically. Awareness of these things allows a defensive driver to anticipate the mistakes of other drivers and to position herself accordingly.
Keep Your Eyes Moving
  • This principle of the Smith System asks defensive drivers to be more aware of driving conditions and surroundings than other drivers on the road. Drivers who keep their eyes moving constantly take account of traffic conditions, driver behavior and road conditions.
Leave Yourself an Out
  • The fourth principle of the Smith System is the "leave yourself an out" principle. Drivers who leave themselves an out make sure they are not following too closely in anticipation of slowdowns. Drivers who leave themselves an out also avoid being surrounded by other drivers by choosing outside lanes.
Make Sure They See You
  • The "make sure they see you" principle prevents possible accidents by making others aware of their surroundings. Ways to make sure other drivers see you include avoiding driving in another driver's blind spot and making use of headlights, signal lights and horns.

Read more : https://www.ehow.com/info_8003043_list-five-principles-defensive-driving.html

You must be a UPS driver. When I was with UPS we used the Smith System, and 5 seeing habits above. I haven't been a UPS driver for many years, but I still practice those habits while riding and driving. They work.

Not being seen is a hazard of riding. I installed Magnum Blaster horns for self defense and they do get the attention of those who get close. Glad that you were attentive and were able to find the escape route.

I commute 80 miles round trip when I'm not in a work vehicle or my truck. Since I usually leave my work vehicle at the office, that is to say, most days. Short of NYC or LA, I drive from mountainous north-state heaven to one of the most congested and traffic-jacked cities in the country. There are three main groups of mental misfits I encounter sprinkled in with the competent drivers daily on the road. Early mornings, I find problem children rare, with those that are problematic split 50% passive aggressive, 50% not awake yet (some may hold simultaneous membership in both groups). Afternoons, problem children far more numerous (but so are cars) with about 20% passive aggressive, 30% splitting attention between driving and a smartphone, 50% just not too bright/i.e. not driving well, be it sloppy wandering, no signaling, or pretending that the bumper to bumper traffic is best navigated by cutting our exhaust off and pretending we are in Fast and Furious, Peach State Edition. Most drivers are pretty good. But I have to admit that close calls or drivers earning corrective action is not uncommon for me. Part of the territory. Stay safe, and have fun.

Doing my daily commute here in Seattle on I5 and cruising along in the fast lane in normal traffic. I'm in my bubble, with space in frton, space behind, and no one to my right. All is well.
Suddenly I see a car coming from 2 or 3 lanes over and directly at me. Changing all the lanes at once, no pausing. Like I'm not there. I lay on my OEM horn, and am forced to move over onto the shoulder. Luckly, the shoulder was open and had nothing blocking me. I accelerated forward and got around her. I didn't have time to merely accelerate, despite the speed of the FJR, because she appeared out of my peripheral vision so suddenly. Fortunately too, the edge was not a 2-3 inch death trap.

The cars around me honked at her too. She put her hands up to say "I'm sorry". Oh well.

Happens all the time. No matter our precautions and diligence, we face these hazards. And most of us survive them to tell the tale...to ride another day. I'm a big fan of Hough's books, and the job he does of helping us put the odds in our favor. But they are still odds!

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago I had a little old ladie take me out of the right lane (I was adjacent to her passenger door )onto the right shoulder so she could exit. She got mad at me for being there! shaking her tiny fist. It ain't never going to end.