Put a sock in it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichDoyle

Reaction score
There have been some questions raised about the nose tunnel in the Gen III bikes defeating the ability of windscreens to eliminate buffeting/wind noise. Based on preliminary tests I did today, this seems to have some merit. I used my noisiest helmet on an errand I ran, with a sock rolled up and stuffed into the center tunnel. It seems to help a lot. Anyway, something to try if you want to see if it works for you.

NOTE: Don't stuff the sock all the way down, just in the opening above the speedo. There's an opening halfway in where some air gets diverted in behind the instrument cluster. I figure it's probably there to provide some cooling to this stuff. I don't second-guess whether this is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "hood scoop" under the shield on my '06 funnels a huge amount of wind thru the dash and

under my chin. Enough to make my gay key fob tassels flail wildly.

First thing I did after I got the scoot was to cut black foam plugs and ram them in there..

Never did see a "heat" problem unless it wasn't enough-at least on my side of the mountain...

Really?? No Really?

Wait............ Really?

U R fuking kidding regarding this

Right?

U know you wanted to hear somebody say.

Stuff a cok in it. So do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. MC Larry passed away something like a year or two ago. His family now runs the business, but I don't know how much new product development is coming out of the company. I heard that he had a freak accident which broke his neck.

Bloody hell....here we go again.I thought Mr Yamaha had sorted this on the 2014. Oh well, guess we have to wait and see what the 2015 brings.

Gazza

Well, with the OEM touring windscreen it makes no difference, really. I reached out, and popped it out of the "tunnel" and noticed no difference whatsoever.

At last year's CFO I was able to verify that the little air tunnel on the Gen IIIs is capable of swallowing up small birds and depositing them lifeless into your lap. Too small to cook up for a decent meal. Not sure a pheasant or turkey will fit...a small quail perhaps...