Quick Saturday trip to Cape Meares

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruppelt

Will always be FJR rider at heart
Reaction score
I finally took a few pictures on a quick trip to the coast and back on Saturday in 70° weather. Hooray - for once I finally remembered that my cell phone makes for a decent camera... :rolleyes:

OK, so it did take me a while before I figured that out. To be exact, it took me all the way from meeting my buddy Scott at "Mickey D's" at the Glencoe Rd exit off of HW26, going down through Tillamook to Cape Meares.

So here we are in Cape Meares:

small0032.jpg

This was the first time I rode the FJR BABE without either my side boxes or the top box on it. Can you figure out from this picture that I had not given any previous thought as to where to leave my helmet? Doh! And I would have had a locking chain in the garage.

What a nice day!!!

small0033.jpg

small0034.jpg

small0035.jpg

small0038.jpg

Yours Truly.

2.JPG

My coworker and riding buddy Scott

small0036.jpg

The famous light house of Cape Meares. Some young idiots had nothing better to do then come by at night and shot some of the old windows out. Well, they have been caught and found guilty as some local folks from Tillamook told us. No idea what some broken windows in a registered historic landmark will get you these days. :rolleyes:

small0041.jpg

One of my rather unsuccessful attempts to take a picture with the camera in my right hand just slightly off the bracket. I finally had a good picture in the view finder, clicked and promptly hit a pothole... I don't think I'll try that again, just too distracting. I'll see if I can mount it up for road shots with the bracket I have on there right now.

small0042.jpg

We had some great lunch in Oceanside at a place called Roseanna's Cafe, then headed home via a quick trip up 101 towards Garibaldi. We took Miami Folley Road from there, which ends up close to the beginning of HW53 (also called Necaricum Highway). Now that HW53 is gotta be one of my absolute new favorites, beautiful twisties, followed by nice long high speed sweeps, followed by more twisties, and so on. It just keeps going and going AND going, and we encountered exactly 3 cars, only one going in our direction. Took all of a couple of minutes to get passed that...

I had led through HW53 all the way and started to white knuckle just a bit, so I pulled over for a quick stretch & stroll just before we hit HW26 again.

6.JPG

7.JPG

9.JPG

I let Scott borrow my FJR for a while after this pit stop, but in the shade off HW26 I started to freeze my nuts off on his bike. My leather jacket has perforated arms and upper torso; not a problem in 35° weather on my bike, especially with my bigger windshield, but DEFINITELY a problem on this naked BMW, even on a day like Saturday. I flagged him down after maybe 20 miles or so. Boy was I glad to get back on my BABE. Phew! :D :lol: :D

Got home, cleaned the worst of the bug guts of the windshield, changed out of my gear and played with my kids in the yard for the rest of the day. Perfect Ending for a perfect day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the report Chris. The OR coast is our favorite place for family vacations, especially on those clear and warm days!

--G

I need to get up to the Pacific northwest sometime. Looks like a great area.......if you can stay dry.

Guys,

Thanks for the kudos, and yes, nothing better then the Oregon coast in nice weather. I do like the dramatic looking skies as well though, as long as they are not tied to heavy downpour! :lol: But to be fair to our weather up here I don't think that lot's of folks from other areas in the country realize that we can have many weeks in late summer where it does heat up into the lower 100s.

Next time I hope to remember to take some pics earlier in the trip, and maybe get a couple while actually being on the road.

I need to get up to the Pacific NORTHWET sometime. Looks like a great area.......if you can stay dry.
That's why I needed to correct it for ya! As bad as the winters can be here though (I remember having 3 days of NOT raining for the whole winter of 1996/97), lately it's been rather mild. I've found great dry riding days without any rain nearly every week this year since mid January.

Last edited by a moderator: