Radios

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paint

Reaction score
Has anyone mounted a CB radio to their FJR?

Which radio?

How did you mount the antenna? How long is it?

Any other advice on this idea is welcome.

I added a J & M CB with the integration module to feed the radar detector, am/fm, & cell through the headphones in the helmet. Pricey but it works. Had to send the Passport 8500 to J & M to modify the output for the J & M unit. CB antenna from a truck stop. Photos below:

CBMount2.jpg

AntSideviewSmall.jpg

AntRearViewSmall.jpg

Good luck with whatever you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to find an antenna suited for use without a 'ground plane'. No sheetmetal body panels matters. My boat's is about 4' long.

FNG <_<

I just got the Midland 75-822 for $85.00:

75-822.jpg

I've seen a bar mount for it that I'm still looking for though. With it's little whip antennea, it has about a mile Tx range and I'm picking up San Diego, 250 miles away!

More info here.

hey i mount my cd player to my back or should i say the inside of my jeans between the 2 back pockets use the left hand to change the volume and the songs hey what can i say it was a last minute thing and it worked . had to stop to keep changing the cds 400 miles one way . i not as high teck as the rest ..... next thing is the ipod .

About the antenna. The ideal one would be a half-wave rather than the quarter-wave that I have. A half wave doesn't require a ground plane. I couldn't find one that I thought looked appropriate on the bike. J & M had one that may have been a half wave but I thought they were too proud of it. I'm happy with the performance of the quarter-wave. I was able to get the standing wave down to less than 1.1 which means pretty good power out of the antenna. Life is a compromise I guess.

I've seen a bar mount for it that I'm still looking for though. With it's little whip antennea, it has about a mile Tx range and I'm picking up San Diego, 250 miles away!

More info here.
Do you use it through a comm device (autocom, starcom, etc)?

I am using a Cobra handheld CB on a homemade handlebar mount with a removeable NGP Firestik mounted to my Dean Tanji fuel cell. This all works through my Autocom and helmet headset.

The CB I got online for $75 and the mount was a few bucks. Antenna, as I recall was under $30. The Autocom I scored from a fellow FJR rider for $200. Assorted cables including the PTT switch was at least another $100.

Pictures of mount

I've seen a bar mount for it that I'm still looking for though.  With it's little whip antennea, it has about a mile Tx range and I'm picking up San Diego, 250 miles away!

More info here.
I've got the Midland 75-822 also.

I use it through my Autocom and it sounds great. I still have to work out the antenna issue. The rubber ducky that comes with it is junk.

Firestik makes one that works perfect on a motorcycle. I just have to get around to installing it.

I've seen a bar mount for it that I'm still looking for though.  With it's little whip antennea, it has about a mile Tx range and I'm picking up San Diego, 250 miles away!

More info here.
Going through my Softline which should be here shortly.

Hey FNG,

My wife and I both have Cobra 38 WXT hand held radios on our bikes. We got them from Sierra Electronics for $189. For your money you get the radio, a bracket to mount the thing to your left handlebar and a push to talk button that you activate with your left thumb. You're going to need a headset to put in your helmet. The system works very well.

If you decide to get this setup, it is possible that you might transmit a squealing sound. If you do, the fix is to run a ground wire from the base of the antenna to some grounding point on your bike.

There is a web site for these folks. I think it is "www.sierraelectronics.com".

Bananas!