Rant About Trooper X

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHammer

Reaction score
Why is it that I am forced by law to keep to 55mph along route 5S (4lane divided), yet NYS Trooper X can blow by me (no blinkies on) at what could be estimated at easily 85mph this morning??????

For some reason, this totally pisses me off! He wasn't responding to any calls, he was just hauling ass! I say this with some degree of certainty because I caught up to him as the road hit a rash of traffic lights and he waited patiently at each light, then spooled it up to at least 50mph in the 30mph zones.

I have a huge respect for folks who put their lives on the line in the name of 'justice' and all, BUT I am phukin tired of the local LEO's doing whatever the hell they want on the roads! Did you know that seatbelt laws and the lovely NYS cellphone law does not apply to LEO's? phuk that. They have goddamn CB radios in their cars!!! why do they need to talk on the cell without hands free sets?

ahhhhh. I feel better.

Yes, I know what you mean.

When you see a cop being an idiot or above the law, report him (car #, badge #)

Some Cops are on a power trip and think they are something else....guess what...your not.

Some Cops are fine people.

It all boils down to being human.

Every race, creed, color, religion, hobby and profession has its idiots.

I am not going to defend this LEO's actions because I don't know the who, what, when, where, or why. However, I do have an answer for why this "could" happen.

1) Possible stolen car up ahead. You don't want to spook the guy prior to getting the helicopter and other resources in the area, but yet, you gotta keep him in sight. Hence, no lights, no siren, but speeding so you don't lose him in the red lights.

2) Other officer is asking for back up. It doesn't rate an emergency, but you have worked with this person for years and he doesn't ask for help unless he really needs it.

3) Silent alarm call up the street. Lights and siren would advertise that you are coming so you are trying to be stealth, but there is no way around the traffic without using them so you are caught in the middle of responding quickly and trying to catch the bad guy.

4) Call goes out that is not an emergency, but you have been there many times before and know it really is.

There is any number of reasons why an LEO may appear to be speeding or violating traffic laws without using lights or siren. Some may be legit so don't be so quick to think they are all abusing the power. Sure, some of them are, there are always gonna be those types. Just like there are good bikers, there are good cops. Go easy, if they were coming to your house or your spouses auto accident, you would want them there as quick as possible.

Actually, that doesn't really piss me off much, as ock913 says, there could be many reasons.

HOWEVER! What does piss me off, is that LEO's get a "free pass" for speeding tickets when they're on their own or otherwise not on duty.

Any LEO who shows a badge to someone who pulls them over should be treated just like me handing a $100 bill along with my licence. There's zero reason to show another LEO your badge or LEO "card", other than to get out of the ticket. It's bribery plain and simple. Any LEO who accepts that, should be charged just like if they accepted my $100 bill.

I know, I know, it's just the way things work, a "perk" of being a LEO, and God knows they have a tough enough job, so I try not to get worked up over it.

Woody, think of it as a professional courtesy. It doesn't always happen, and sometimes, it happens worse. We have a situation here in, IIRC, southern Mn, where a local police Chief, alledgedly drunk, rolled his personal SUV, bailed, left his gun etc in the vehicle, and got a cop to give him a ride home, whereupon he reported the accy some 6 hours later. He's history, but not until next summer. It happens, sometimes peoples memories work, and this shit is remembered at election time, sometimes not. Remember this-we get the elected officials we deserve.

I agree to take the good and bad into account and all, Even the legit reasons why this particular trooper was speeding,

Nah nevermind, with the exception of the stolen car, his stopping at all traffic lights and waiting for greens don't hold up with me, he's a jerk.

ock, swinger of the anime boobies, I hoped you would chime in on this one because I recalled your profession and hoped you could provide some insight. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother is a LEO, uses his badge as a 'get out of jail free' card, so does his wife, she has one of his badges too. He got popped one night in his personal vehicle with civvies on, 100 in a 55 zone. A very, very pissed cop walked up to his window and started screaming at him. While getting his ass chewed by the officer my brother was desperately trying to find his badge and... and... where the f*ck is my badge?...Where the f*ck is my ID? The pissed officer at the window was just reaching for his gun :assasin: when my brother yells, "I'm a cop, I'm a cop! Call my station and ask for my Captain, he will vouch for me" The officer at the window says, "No call, license and registration please." :haha: In desperation my brother starts spewing traffic laws, calculated what his fine *would have been,* had he not been a cop (in CT fines are very complex to calculate), he was recounting rules for approaching a stopped vehicle and on and on. To my disappointment the officer at the window finally paused. After a terse conversation the officer let my brother go with a warning that he just used the only break that he will be allowed in that jurisdiction. It was at least a little refreshing to see a cop learn what it feels like for the rest of us when we get stopped. He was sweatin’ and shakin' real good! :fie:

BTW, his CT badge has worked all across the country, he is still ticket free. While his ‘on the job’ driving skills are tremendous, his personal, everyday driving is very, very careless because he is not held accountable.

Alan

I have similar complaints about LEOs running the party lights, just to get through an intersection or around traffic backed up at a light.

If you see an officer behaving in traffic in a manner that you feel inappropriate, call it in. One of my friends calls 911 and reports an agressive driver, reads the license plate #... if the operator twigs that it's a police car, he says "So? They're driving in a manner that is putting others at undue risk. That's illegal." Anyway- maybe he had a reason... maybe not. If he gets enough calls where he was just trying to make the donut shop before they close, it'll get noticed.

I would like to apologize for my prior rant. It was way off base and I am sorry for coming off like a lunatic. I know I offended some of you and and I am extending this olive branch as a way to rebuild bridges.

What about chick cops mg, would you then say

THEN WHY THE FU*K DONT YOU STRAP ON A BADGE AND JOIN 'EM....MY GUESS IS THAT YOU DON'T HAVE THE FALLOPIAN TUBES TO DO THEIR JOB!!

For all you people that bitch and complain about what YOU PERCEIVE LEO's are doing to take advantage of their position,
THEN WHY THE FU*K DONT YOU STRAP ON A BADGE AND JOIN 'EM....MY GUESS IS THAT YOU DON'T HAVE THE BALLS TO DO THEIR JOB!!

until then shut the fu*k up    :angry03:
Don't just "shut the fu*k up", call them in and report your perceptions. Cops that break the law are criminals/scofflaws/bad drivers, just like anyone else that breaks the law. They should be accountable for their actions in the same way I have to be accountable for mine. Just because someone is a cop doesn't mean they can then pick & choose what laws they follow.

Whatever happened to the police being a good example for the community to follow?

Here in Alabama, cops attach a Fraternal Order of Police (cop's union) badge to their personal vehicle's license plate, then anyone driving that vehicle is never even pulled over for breaking traffic laws, no matter who they are. "Professional courtesy" is hogwash, but alive and well.

For all you people that bitch and complain about what YOU PERCEIVE LEO's are doing to take advantage of their position,
THEN WHY THE FU*K DONT YOU STRAP ON A BADGE AND JOIN 'EM....MY GUESS IS THAT YOU DON'T HAVE THE BALLS TO DO THEIR JOB!!

until then shut the fu*k up :angry03:
Well, that's a reasonable, well-thought response. Grow up, motorgod. I did say, they have a tough job. This "if you're not a cop, you can't criticize" is bullshit and you know it.

You know, this is a lot like tickers-a few skew the numbers but especially the perception. Most cops do not take advantage of their position.

You know, this is a lot like tickers-a few skew the numbers but especially the perception. Most cops do not take advantage of their position.
Absolutely, that's a possibility. Like I said, I don't let it really bother me, I accept it as a "perk" of being a cop, I just don't like the nudge/wink nature of it.

@motorgod...

am tolerant of different points of view...just don't force your views upon me without being willing to engage in a good debate.
...Really? So your "shut the fuck up" statement is an invitation to open a debate? :clap: ...or, are you just one of those "Sea Gull Posters" who fly in, flap your wings, shit all over the place, then leave? Eh? :eh:

Either way, lets have a discussion. Please start with the following debate questions:

1) What's your opinion on the LEO violating traffic laws?

2) What should we think when we see this occuring?

3) What is the appropriate public response?

4) What if someone does have an opinion regarding this LEO behavior, but would prefer to not become an LEO themselves? Can they still have an opinion or should they just bow to your prowess with a keyboard?

I am really hoping for a sensible response that follows your own statement in your own profile. Will you live up to your own expectations or someone else's? :drag:

I deeply respect our country, it's laws and those who enforce them.

But I believe that off duty LEO's must follow the laws that they enforce. Everyone in this country is bound to obey the laws of this country; traffic etc.

I have personally paid a small fortune to the state of California for breaking posted speed limits! I enjoy my life as a doctor, and I worked damn hard to get those degrees and the life that I have. I may have a medical degree, but when I ride my FJR, I am just a citizen with a higher education.

I agree that LEO's have a brutal job and deserve respect. And maybe the occasional perk, like a donut or a get-out-of-a-10-over-ticket. I have had LEO's ask about discounts on their bills and I give a moderate break, more from the fear of repercussions. But the last three traffic stops resulted in tickets for minor infractions. I did mention that I was a doctor, and one cop replied "Good, doctors need tickets too!" Well, that ended my professional discount for LEOs!

o.k here is my deal 2 lanes going one way i am in the left lane car in the right lane shoulder on left . look in my left mirror look to my left to my suprise there is a hwy cop 2 inches from from my clutch lever. he is riding half of his car on the shoulder and half on the hwy . he blows by me must of been about 75 m.p.h no lights flashing nothing at all . i say fuck this let me follow this ass hole 3 miles up the hwy he pulls over someone i pull up behind him he askes me whats the problem i tell him whats the problem you almost killed me riding half on the shoulder half off . he replyed you should look in your mirrors sometime buddy . i was flashing my lights . then he says anything else and i reply why did you pull over the car infront of us speeding ................................. come on give me a brake . i called his sergent and reported him .

Hmmmmm.......

I see that we have moved past the typical Harley rant thread, only to digress to the BAD Leo rant thread. How stimulating.

Remember.....

earguing.jpg

Hmmmmm.......
I see that we have moved past the typical Harley rant thread, only to digress to the BAD Leo rant thread. How stimulating.
Stick around for a bit longer Skoot, you've missed the "Did Bush's full-of-hot-air speeches cause Katrina" arguments. :dribble: