Really Really Hot '03 Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kasey

Reaction score
I picked up the bike two days ago after some major work; valve adjust, camchain replacement, new emerg. stop switch..yadayada - a six week job.

I noticed when I rode it home from the dealer that the saddle felt Extremely Hot... which has never happened before - my model quite reliably pumps the heat out onto my knees. When I got it home after the half-hour ride the metal frame piece that butts up against the fairing panel was almost too hot to touch. Now, nearly two hrs later it's still very very warm. The tank was cooler as I'd just filled 'er up. I topped up the anti-freeze yesterday when I put the tupperware back on.

Should I be thinking that it has something to do with the recent work?

Kasey

I've measured the frame rails on my '03 at 175f on a very hot day.

Without before and after measurements, it's hard to draw conclusions. If the engine temp indicator isn't running high, then I would makes sure all the "tin foil" stuff under the tank is well arranged. It could be missing all together at this point!

Also, the Cromet (or however you spell it) heat fix did wonders for the left side of my '03.

Last edited by a moderator:
did ya have and they removed without replacing a heat prevention blanket under the tank ???
Yes I have and they replaced it.

I've measured the frame rails on my '03 at 175f on a very hot day.
Well ok then since the temp was only at 2 bars - I'll put my concern down to high adrenalin pre-departure for CFR - Thanks.

Kasey

Hey, dude....try wearing some pants next time ya ride.....may deflect a little bit of the heat.

Oh, my bad....are we still talking about that old mash4077 episode we never finished?

I would have to think something is really missing. If that frame rail is that hot, what did it do to the plastic seat tray? :dribble:

Did you notice it any cooler on your knees? If the knees are now cooler, but under the seat is really hot, you're missing some key insulation.

Hey, dude....try wearing some pants next time ya ride.....may deflect a little bit of the heat.
Hmmmm. odot, mi amigo, Kathryn ain't no dude, dood! :blink:
odot can't tell the differnce, besides it doubles his chances for a date on Saturday nights. :p

When riding in unusually hot weather, the tank of my 03 gets unbelievably hot. During a long haul freeway ride, I sustained 1st degree burns to my legs, through a pair of riding pants. Never had the seat feel hot though.