Rear caliper locked up when braking hard. now rear doesn't work, 2007 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to finish this thread with the issue and resolution. Yamaha ABS module can be bled using techniques described in other threads and trying to do this with the original ABS module which consists of 3 solenoids mounted to the module worked on one of the three (Front) but made no noise on the others. After checking ohms on the solenoids which appeared to be close but the 2 that would not function were different. I ordered a used unit on ebay and it came in with one bad solenoid (just my luck) so ordered another and that cured it. The solenoid either fails or gets something stuck in it and acts as a check valve when it fails. It will allow fluid to pass but not relieve back to the master which keeps pressure in the line to the caliper. Nothing you can do once it's really locked up except loosen the bleeder relieving the pressure and don't touch that brake until you get home.
So you are unable to bled the rear caliper? I am having the same issue, but when mine looks up I loosen the bleeder screw and it releases. I have received a lot of opinions as to what to do but nothing works. Since it releases I will remove the fuse to the ABS to see if it is the cause. I will let you know. Also I have replaced the seals in the rear master cylinder and replaced the seals in the rear caliper and still the same issue.

Yes you can always bleed the rear and/or the front. There are 3 of those little solenoids on the ABS module (linked brakes) The little solenoids or something else causes it not to allow backflow therefore keeping the pressure on the caliper. I had this happen once or twice over a 6 month time frame (this bike was a commuter for me for 2 years then became a reserve bike I would ride occasionally). I was lane splitting (I live in CA) the last time it happened a car switched lanes in front without signaling. I grabbed the brakes which set off the ABS and the rear stayed tight. Luckily it allowed me to keep going to get over to the side (on the gas to overcome the brake affect). That time it did not release later as it would a few times before. It was permanently failed and if I pressed down on the rear brake it would lock up the tire and not release. I had to replace the ABS module. I tried to remove the small solenoid but the way they insert them and lock them into the module was enough that I couldn't get it out so I bought a ABS assembly on ebay. I then bought a second one because the front solenoid was bad on the first one. IMO Yamaha makes the best bikes and by far the best engines but their electronics are always the part I have trouble with. The ABS module is a tough part to replace with all the bleeding etc. but it's not too bad compared to other jobs. Oh BTW each solenoid has a connecter that you can measure the resistance to see if the solenoid has likely failed. All three have similar resistance numbers. Oh and since you will be bleeding everything, read up on the method way to activate this feature using the switches, also get a vacuum bleeder to get the front to start pumping fluid. I could not get it to move fluid until I created a vacuum from the caliper. Also ;removing the fuse will not help if the problem is like mine. Once the solenoid locks up permanently you'll have to replace the module.

Last edited:
Yes you can always bleed the rear and/or the front. There are 3 of those little solenoids on the ABS module (linked brakes) The little solenoids or something else causes it not to allow backflow therefore keeping the pressure on the caliper. I had this happen once or twice over a 6 month time frame (this bike was a commuter for me for 2 years then became a reserve bike I would ride occasionally). I was lane splitting (I live in CA) the last time it happened a car switched lanes in front without signaling. I grabbed the brakes which set off the ABS and the rear stayed tight. Luckily it allowed me to keep going to get over to the side (on the gas to overcome the brake affect). That time it did not release later as it would a few times before. It was permanently failed and if I pressed down on the rear brake it would lock up the tire and not release. I had to replace the ABS module. I tried to remove the small solenoid but the way they insert them and lock them into the module was enough that I couldn't get it out so I bought a ABS assembly on ebay. I then bought a second one because the front solenoid was bad on the first one. IMO Yamaha makes the best bikes and by far the best engines but their electronics are always the part I have trouble with. The ABS module is a tough part to replace with all the bleeding etc. but it's not too bad compared to other jobs. Oh BTW each solenoid has a connecter that you can measure the resistance to see if the solenoid has likely failed. All three have similar resistance numbers. Oh and since you will be bleeding everything, read up on the method way to activate this feature using the switches, also get a vacuum bleeder to get the front to start pumping fluid. I could not get it to move fluid until I created a vacuum from the caliper. Also ;removing the fuse will not help if the problem is like mine. Once the solenoid locks up permanently you'll have to replace the module.
Can you list the part numbers on what you bought to fix it. I have been without my bike now for well over 2 months.