Rear View Camera

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stock mirrors are useless so there's no logic in praising the mirrors over the camera if they don't fucking work. The FZ1 alternatives are ugly and I don't much care for the look of the extenders either. That's a matter of taste.

While Transport Canada requires mirrors on bikes I know 2 other riders that use cameras as alternatives, one is a daily rider, and neither of them get hassled by the cops. Besides it's a chance I'm willing to take.

James that's a brilliant suggestion and the cost of trying this out before committing to anything else is minimal. Thanks!

OK, I'll address what I think is a common misconception about the mirrors on a bike.

They aren't there to see directly behind the bike. They are there so you can see the space adjacent to the bike so you'll know if it's OK to move into that space. Compare them to side view mirrors on the car, not rear view.

That's how mine are set, and I have no issue with not seeing the 10 or 15 feet that are directly behind the bike.

When I pull up to an intersection for a stop, I "aim" the bike one way or the other, since I want an escape path anyway. Once so aimed, checking my 'six' is easy, as one of the mirrors is now looking straight back.

If your elbows are all you see, then your mirrors are not looking the right direction.

My 2 cents....

And before someone pipes in, "But Walt, you have...." Yes I have the FZ-1 mirrors on my bike. If the original owner hadn't put them on, I probably wouldn't have them. But riding my brother's VTR1000, whose mirrors are smaller, lower, and far more narrowly placed than the FJR's stock mirrors, I found those to still be quite useful for examining the space next to the bike, rather than the space immediately behind the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
A coworker of mine does something along this line when he leads group rides. He mounts his Go Pro camera on his luggage rack-Harley owner- and uses the optional LCD back screen mounted to his inner fairing to be able to keep sight of the group behind him. As others have already noted in most states at least one mirror is required.
How does he do that? The LCD screen snaps onto the back of the camera.

The stock mirrors are useless so there's no logic in praising the mirrors over the camera if they don't fucking work. The FZ1 alternatives are ugly and I don't much care for the look of the extenders either. That's a matter of taste.
While Transport Canada requires mirrors on bikes I know 2 other riders that use cameras as alternatives, one is a daily rider, and neither of them get hassled by the cops. Besides it's a chance I'm willing to take.

James that's a brilliant suggestion and the cost of trying this out before committing to anything else is minimal. Thanks!
Useless? Hmm. I use mine probably a dozen times per minute. In fact I was just thinking last night how much better the mirrors on the Gen III are than the mirrors on my old 1986 Radian (the only other bike I've owned). Oh well, different strokes for different folks...
unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Useless? Hmm. I use mine probably a dozen times per minute. In fact I was just thinking last night how much better the mirrors on the Gen III are than the mirrors on my old 1986 Radian (the only other bike I've owned). Oh well, different strokes for different folks...
unsure.png
I have to pull my elbow in a little to see directly behind me, but that's so much better than having to turn around in my seat I'll accept it. I'd like to try a Reevu helmet sometime -- https://www.reevu.com/.