Replacing Side Stand Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretbender

Reaction score
Has anybody had to replace their side stand switch yet? The plunger on mine won't come out all the way on it's own no matter how much I play with it or lubricate it (did you like the set up on that one?) Anyhow, I tried to remove it, but the two screws that hold it in place are extra-extra soft pot metal cross tip screws that have been loc-tited in place. . .yeah, guess what happened. I got the bottom one out and replaced it with a decent allen head screw, but the top screw is all boogered up now, and the exhaust piping is in the way of getting to it. The only way I can see to get to it is to remove the exhaust system. I even tried grabbing the screw with bent nose needle pliers, with vise grips gripping the needle nose pliers for extra grip on the screw, but it just strips more material off the head of the screw. WTF were they thinking??? :angry: So for now, I've admitted defeat and am hoping one of you has a slick way of getting to that top screw. Any ideas that don't involve removing the exhaust system?

Huh? Try removing the sidestand assembly. The plate that holds the shifter assembly also mounts the sidestand (2 biggest allen head screws at the base). Need big ass Torx driver for forward most bolt, while you're at it, clean and lube shifter parts.

Huh? Try removing the sidestand assembly. The plate that holds the shifter assembly also mounts the sidestand (2 biggest allen head screws at the base). Need big ass Torx driver for forward most bolt, while you're at it, clean and lube shifter parts.
:huh: oh. Thanks Rad. I was concerned that removing those large bolts would allow things to shift and get misaligned. I'll give it a try tonight.

-Edit-

Thanks again Radman. I got that other screw replaced and the circuit wired closed. Now I'll just have to be extra careful that I don't drive off with my kickstand down while I'm waiting for the replacement switch.

Last edited by a moderator: