Reverse Lane Sharing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HYCLE

Hooligan #2
Reaction score
Terri and I decided to visit Point Reyes National Park yesterday. We have passed it on HWY 1 many times with out stopping and I wanted to buy a National Park Pass.

As we were packing up to leave the neighbor across the street walked over to chat and retrieve his Siberian Husky pup. The pup was running around our feet just as cute as could be while we talked. A couple minutes later the dog was checking out the front yard next door and disappeared around the neighbors truck. Next thing we hear yelps like an injured dog or a child playing and screaming. We went to investigate and found the pup had startled an 88 year old woman in her garage. The woman had fallen and bumped her head. She had already called her daughter and wanted us to wait until she arrived. Daughter called 911, Paramedics came and took her to ER. We went back to the bike to head out on our ride.

So we figured our excitement was over for the day, until we hit the Highway. Traffic was heavy but we were in no hurry. I was cruising along at the pace of the traffic in the slow lane. Then I decided the center lane is smoother so I would merge over into that lane. I signaled and slowly changed lanes then settled in with the traffic. Traffic was slowing down ahead so I checked my mirrors and signaled for a lane change into the fast lane. When I checked my mirrors I noticed a grey Toyota had just pulled in tight behind me in the center lane so moving over would also get him off my ass. He had different ideas and decided to accelerate into the space I had just moved into. I usually hang out in the right side of the fast lane so I have escape options. Good thing I do because the grey Toyota is now lane sharing with me on my left.

Gutsy move on his part to lane share with a motorcycle? Was out to get me? Since traffic was tight I just let him slide by without reacting, I would usually accelerate away. I backed off and moved over away from him as I watched him try to force his way up the road. I had moved over into the slow lane a few miles later and he was trapped in traffic in the fast lane. I thought I would never see him again. Wrong, he caught up a few more miles later and cut me off on his way to the fast lane, changing three lanes at once. The guy was on a mission to get somewhere fast and nothing was going to slow him down. I hope he made it safely.

The rest of our ride was fantastic, more on that later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had that same thing happen a few times to me too. Cagers think because a bike can lane share with a car, why can't the car lane share with the bike. It made me rather upset to say the least, it was highly dangerous since I wasn't expecting to have to lane share. If I was not paying attention I could have easily drifted into the guy.

I will comment no more as my BP is going up....

The guys have said it well. However I will add the Marin Headlands , Mt. Tam area was my favorite SFBA riding areas, all the way to Medicino and Jenner or so. . Not as much traffic as south Highway 1 ( at least until the early 90's when I moved North). It is hard too get to stressed on that stretch and while lots of great twisties, I found it hard to ride too fast it is so gorgeous.

Not to start a huge debate, but I always ride in the left lane. The only time you'll find me in the center or right lanes is when I'm entering or exiting the highway. In the left lane there are only two directions the cagers can come from to kill you--behind, and to the right. I tend to ride in the center of the lane,figuring that gives me more reaction/horn time as a cager attempts to move into my lane. Just my $.02. YMMV. ;)

Mike

Not to start a huge debate, but I always ride in the left lane. The only time you'll find me in the center or right lanes is when I'm entering or exiting the highway. In the left lane there are only two directions the cagers can come from to kill you--behind, and to the right. I tend to ride in the center of the lane,figuring that gives me more reaction/horn time as a cager attempts to move into my lane. Just my $.02. YMMV. ;) Mike
Well, I certainly hope you then going fast enough that are not getting passed by anyone else.

I tend to prefer the left lane, as it just seems a bit safer, although that just may be my perception of that.

Just one example...On the way home from CFR, was almost taken out by a guy in a Honda sedan. He was talking on his cell (in his left hand), infant in baby seat in the back, and he merged onto the TransCanada without shoulder checking, pretty much on top of me. If I had been in the left lane, no worries...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to start a huge debate, but I always ride in the left lane. The only time you'll find me in the center or right lanes is when I'm entering or exiting the highway. In the left lane there are only two directions the cagers can come from to kill you--behind, and to the right. I tend to ride in the center of the lane,figuring that gives me more reaction/horn time as a cager attempts to move into my lane. Just my $.02. YMMV. ;) Mike
Well, I certainly hope you then going fast enough that are not getting passed by anyone else.
I always exceed the speed of traffic by a fair ammount. As you well know, in PHX there's almost always some yahoo that wants to go faster than you. :rolleyes:

Mike

The thing here is about respect, or lack of it, regarding space.

Yesterday, riding in 100F + weather EVERY cage driver pulled over, let me by, and I waved/acknowledged THANKS.

Compare and contrast my ride and Mike's ride.

Share a lane with me? Not good.

Me share with you? (Sorry guys) Not good either.

I think my 'Sharing' days are over.

Then again, I don't have to, I live in an area where traffic flows free.

I would have a whole 'nother story if I lived in congested towns.

Just sayin' I'm happy my buds are OK and posting. Nothing else, really, matters.

Left lane for me unless traffic is going scary fast and I'm not in that kind of hurry.

Mike, glad you're okay. Anne Marie and I had lunch today in Marshall, a tiny town in the Point Reyes area. Great oysters but way too many LEO's. And they were very busy, if you know what I mean.

I see stupid people.....

And I see them everyday (since I drive for a living and I'm on the roadways and highways) in the Central Valley of CA.

You CANNOT hide from them if they're determined to be reckless. Mike made the correct decision: Let him get in front of you and stay away from him. That kind of driver doesn't care about himself, others in the traffic flow or the danger he is creating.

Blocking the left lane? I see that trick pulled by cagers and by motorcyclists. They know, when others are passing them in the center lane, that they are blocking and I believe they: 1.) don't care; 2.) are purposeful in their decision.

I have some family friends who tole me they never see traffic. I followed them once....no wonder, they're blocking whatever lane they're traveling in. All the traffic is behind them!

Yea, Hycle has it right. It's easier to keep an eye on an idiot if front of you! :)

And like Dave said, it's about respect; about keeping aware enough so that you can extend the courtesy of moving aside to let the faster guy pass, the lane changer in, or just "make room" for the next guy who hasn't yet seen the merging traffic ahead. You wouldn't intentionally block a fellow pedestrian on the sidewalk you traveled, why wouldn't one want to extend this same courtesy to the roadway?

As far as preferring the left lane, while it does protect you from one direction, consider that it similarly limits your choice of escape routes. Perhaps it's better to simply evaluate the current situation and move to where ever affords you the most "space" between you and everyone else. Space gives you more time to react, and that is everything.

Yea, Hycle has it right. It's easier to keep an eye on an idiot if front of you! :)
As far as preferring the left lane, while it does protect you from one direction, consider that it similarly limits your choice of escape routes. Perhaps it's better to simply evaluate the current situation and move to where ever affords you the most "space" between you and everyone else. Space gives you more time to react, and that is everything.
Yep, I want to see where the idiot is at all times once they make themselves know. (And hopefully to see them get a rimnder of how stupid they are from a LEO)

I will stay to the left or to the right depending on the amount of room each affors to escape. I'm am only in the middle lanes long enough to get to the left or right.