Rick Mayer saddle ride-in experience

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my seat on Friday of last week... I think it looks muy bueno... Will have a chance to really give it a good test when I do Ride The Rio next month...

FJR1.jpg

FJR2.jpg

I think the seat height of my RM seat is very close to stock height. What makes a difference is the width of the seat where it tapers near the gas tank. When the seat is wider at that point it makes your legs spread wider (no bad jokes here, please ;) ) which makes for a longer reach to the ground. Narrow seats make it easier to flat foot but it comes at the price of long distance seating comfort.

Alan

+1, although I did tell Rick I was slightly "altitudinally" challenged on the bike when I ordered... I don't think he did any appreciable lowering... least not that I can tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the seat height of my RM seat is very close to stock height. 
I asked Rick to make mine one inch higher than stock, in order to decrease knee bend while riding. It is taller now, as I was having to put the shield all the way up and could still look over it. I was considering removing the spacer washers, but that problem sorted itself out Monday when the longer bolt heads snapped off at 90 on a freeway onramp. Luckily I only had about 15 miles to get home. Damn, it's windy and cold without that screen in the way. I don't see how guys on naked bikes have much comfort. Maybe that's why they usually keep it to the speed limit.

Back on topic, the saddle is very comfy as far as I can tell (knee discomfort definitely less), but I haven't actually sat in it long enough to go through a full tank yet.

+1, although I did tell Rick I was slightly "altitudinally" challenged on the bike when I ordered... I don't think he did any appreciable lowering... least not that I can tell.
I don't think his padding method leaves much room for lowering. Now my Corbrick (soon to get sold) definitely sits lower than stock. :blink:

Addendum- I decided to have a couple of adjustments made to my half of the saddle while the bike was in the shop. I called Rick last Monday, he said to send it on in. I left a note in the box with instructions and to call me for shipping charge billing when finished. Well, Thursday the Fedex driver delivers the finished saddle back to me! That's only four days total! Now the saddle sits in the garage for who knows how long, waiting for the rest of the bike to get back. I can't wait to try it out on a nice long ride. :)

Groo,

your bike looks great. How long did you have to wait? I've been thinking about getting one but your pics really show how good the seat looks. Are you happy w/ comfort?

Groo, Also I've changed stock for a corbin which I think is more comfortable but don't like sliding forward every time I hit front brake or let off throttle. Does your new seat stop sliding up on tank?

Does your new seat stop sliding up on tank?
Mine, in basketweave vinyl, isn't slippery, but moving around is fairly easy when I want to. I came from a Corbrick, and the new saddle is light years ahead in comfort, IMO.

sjarr7 - I've got the leather Rick Mayer that you can take a look at on Saturday. I told Heidi she can try it out on her bike and you are more than welcome to try it if you like. It is more slippier than stock. If I brake hard I usually have to "adjust" to the rear once I've stopped. Not real bad, but it's there. I've considered taking a fine sandpaper to it to see if that helps, but then I remember how much it cost!

Sjarr-

I shipped my saddle to Rick and had it back in my hands in less than 2 weeks. The only delay was getting on his calendar, which wasn't all that bad. I slipped around a bit when I first got it, but now that it's breaking in, it keeps me in place really well. As for comfort, it's da' bomb... very very comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator: