Rider Magazine 2009 FJR Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much info about how the bike handles etc....
I want their job!
Uh, yeah.

I'm getting an FJR soon and thought; "Cool, a motorcycle review with video",

but what I got was some guys paid vacation report. Not really all that informative.

Perhaps part two will dive into the bike more or contain video of someone

riding and describing the handling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ridden the Dragon four times and agree that it isn't sweeper type of road. I suspect that they were talking about the Cherahola Skyway which defintely is! It's the type of road the FJR was made for.

If you watch the video it almost seems that they didn't really actually ride the Dragon. they came from the Cherahola, then got to the Deals Gap resort and then headed for the Blue Ridge Parkway (which again is an excellent FJR road).

I agree that is isn't much of a bike review but also didn't say anything negative.

While I agree with your overall sentiment, I can't agree that it's okay to have "a few of the facts...misplaced." This might be moto-journalism, but it's still journalism, and getting the facts right is job 1.
Agreed - I'm not going to cut them any slack just because they are talking about my bike. Facts are facts, words are words and it's fairly easy in a report like this to get them both right. Sadly, these yahoos failed on several levels.

Somebody on the Forum ran in to them on the test if I think and posted about it.

I rmember that post too. A while back

Ran into the Rider journalists in early May on the BRP. Got to talking with them and they really did like the FJR. It was foggy as hell that day, not the best day to test the limits of an the FJR IMHO. Shame they got the facts mixed up (ABS standard starting in 06, not 08) but they seemed pretty cool. They all had brand spankin new gear on too, God I wished I had their job. I must have have emailed my resume to them a dozen times but I never heard back from them :huh:

I'd like to offer up my new 09 FJR to Peter Eagan from Cycle World for him to do a test ride and review on our bikes.

The man can write. He can ride my Triumph Bonnie on the way back. Anyone know him? :huh:

I'd like to offer up my new 09 FJR to Peter Eagan from Cycle World for him to do a test ride and review on our bikes.The man can write. He can ride my Triumph Bonnie on the way back. Anyone know him? :huh:
I've met him a couple times -- sat in his garage/shop and chatted, rode to lunch, etc. He's a very easy-going, entertaining, enjoyable converstionalist -- just like his writings. And, he loves to talk motorcycles.....

He's available to the public -- if you pursue it a bit... ;)

I could put him up at the La Quinta Inn, Rifle Co. With day rides to Gateway, Durango, Silverton, Aspen, Mohab, Steamboat, etc.

All great rides for a true FJ test.

Riveting report....
To imagine ABS has been standard on the bike since 2008.

You have to remember they probably received the information from the salesperson. From my experiance most don't even now what an FJR is. I was at a Yamaha, Honda and KTM dealer down in VA this weekend and they had 70 to 80 bikes in the showroom, lots of inventory. Not one FJR on dislay but everything else was there from scoots to gold wings.

You mean Kevin Foley.

Matt Foley lives in a van. Down by the river.

21764d1213934581-san-antonio-off-topic-thread-matt_foley.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So this was a video, and while the guy read the huge feature list right off the sales brochure, couldn't they have at least SHOWN them? Like a quick flash of the shock adjust lever, or the windshield going up or down? Otherwise, why make a video?

I felt like I was hearing the fine print during a lawyer ad.

As my grampa would say "dat's was jes' PO' and ah was expectin' somethin' there for a minnit!"

This is why I've never subscribed to Rider. It's "bike $X is COOL!" road "tests" and reprinted press releases.