Rider/passenger headsets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickysnickers

Reaction score
I've read some and done some searching, but I would like some actual suggestions. I would like to get a communication package for my wife and I. I want headsets that are wireless, so we aren't getting tangled up. She's also talked about buying a Spyder at some point in time. So, one that we could use between the two bikes would be nice as well. What have you all used and what would you recommend?

Thanks got your time!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Cardo Scala G4 and my riding buddy has the latest G9. We've stayed in touch for as many as 10 hours at a time on one charge and it never missed a beat. It pairs up nicely with my Garmin GPS.

G9 may well be the better choice, but it's also more expensive. I've got a pari of Sana SMH10's and they're working fine.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the Cardo ScalaRider G4 Teamset. I have never run the battery down in a loooong day of riding and I do lots of talking. The rain has never affected them and the distance bike to bike is pretty good.

SMH10. Been using for couple years now. My wife and I, as well as other riding buddies really like them. 4 way conversations are fun.

Another SMH-10 user here. Wife and I like 'em, we listen to our respective bluetooth phones and can communicate when we need to.

I HAVE ridden the battery down while listening to audiobooks (10 hour day), but you can charge it while using it if you have a way to plug it into your bike.

Alexi

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. The SMH10 looks like the ticket. I was looking at the Cardo G9 too, but they are pretty darn expensive.

Schuberth SRC Communication system for me.

Pros: Slick helmet integration that doesn't affect air flow or get in the way of anything, battery life claim is 11 hours (don't think I've pushed it that far, but have used it on 650+ km days), 2-channel (3-way) pairing (so you can pair with, for example, a passenger and another rider), easy pairing between riders and cell phone (I haven't tried a GPS or anything like that), built-in FM radio works pretty well, cell phone use works great, factory speaker recesses ensure everything fits well, and buttons are easy to use - with gloves on - after a little practice.

Cons: Only works with Schuberth helmet, pricey (see con no. 1), suffers the occasional "glitch" (turning off by itself, etc.), range is fine for passenger communication but probably wouldn't reach another bike if you were separated by a city block, and unless I'm doing something wrong, it won't charge while in use.

Overall I'm very happy, but this won't even be an option unless you're wearing compatible Schuberth helmets.

I have been using the UClear 200 for about 6 months. This unit has no physical microphone in the helmet, so when talking on the phone , rider to passenger, or bike to bike you do not hear any wind noise. You can pair up to 9 units together and for each one you pair it increases the range bike to bike. Have not ran the battery down on a 12 hour ride.

Google their website, you can read reviews on Amazon. You can buy singles or dual units, and they offer extra headsets to out fit multiple helmets by moving the control unit from helmet to helmet and just plug it in.

Uclear for me too. Works great. I have the first generation HBC 100 and it is awesome. The 200 series is even better. NO boom microphone to deal with. The Battery life is amazing.

I use a G4 Powerset. Awesome piece of kit. I use one of the headsets daily on my commute - listening to music (bluetooth from iPhone) and probably every second day, calling the wife re: shopping or some such stuff. Battery lasts for weeks between charges.

Honestly though, I think it comes down to personal taste between the various top-shelf systems because they are all pretty darned good.

Another Sena SMH10 user here. I bought a Dual pack from a guy on ADVRider for around $280 for the pair. Great guy to work with and shipped out quick. The first time I bought the Sena SMH10 Dual pack I bought it at a BMW Dealer and paid over $400. What a rip off they were. I actually returned them because I had never opened the box or used them. Once I found this other guy on ADVRider I knew I had made a big mistake. Buy the SMH10 Dual pack and be done. Easy as that...

My daughter and I were heading out for a week--long trip this past Monday, and last week I decided communicators would make the trip more enjoyable. I did some research and ended up buying an "open-box" SMH10 dual set on Amazon - for $209! It arrived in two days and took about 45 minutes to install in both helmets (Nexx and Joe Rocket full-face) and set up. We LOVE it. She can listen to her iPhone music, I can listen to Pandora radio, and a simple tap of the jog dial on either helmet let's us talk to each other. Another tap disconnects the intercom, and the music is restored. Either one of us can make and receive phone calls without interferring with the other. It's pretty amazing to be riding at 65 mph and talking on the phone (although I wouldn't recommend making a habit of it). Wind noise is acceptable on my FJR with the stock windscreen, except when my daughter's face shield is up - then it's pretty loud. We've gotten 9 hours of steady use - music the entire time, several phone calls and many chats - without the batteries running out. All-in-all, I'm a happy camper. The only thing I haven't tried yet is bike-to-bike communication. That'll be next - as soon as I can persuade one of my riding buddies to spring for a unit.

This may be a bit late, but another +2 for G4/G9 set.

I have used the G4 powerset with my gf, and with my brother when we did an almost cross country tour of the US back in 2010. I have been using the same set ever since, and it's still going strong. There have been updates to the G4 and it works with the G9!

Yes, they are a little pricey, but they are durable, and yes I have ridden in rain, talked while in rain (had to boost up the volume due to more road noise), but it works great. Pairs nicely with my Zumo 665, which also made it through rain, heat, and cold.

I'm actually looking at getting the G9 base, as it has improved speakers
ok.gif

I am looking for sugestions on getting a bluetooth communication unit(s) so I can do the following: (1) communicate with my passenger, (2) listen to FM radio, and (3) make and receive phone calls. I have an iphone 4. Do not need extended battery life time. Normally do 3-4 hour rides.