Ridin' in the Rain

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karnal

Reaction score
As you guys (and gals?) know, just started riding this fine beast. However, the wonderful State of Ohio has decided to rain on my parade this week. Any suggestions for wet rides (to/from work) and what is necessary to cover while at work??? I don't have an official cover for it, but I do have a few lying around that might do the trick....

Gortex would be the best but at the top end of cost. I've had good success with a 1 piece rain suit over my riding gear. I've had the same suit since 2001.

It takes some getting used to and a little trial and error for each riders threshold and rain riding Gloves, boots are other things to consider. You'll find out quickly if your visor leaks or fogs up.

Riding in rain doesn't bother me at all to a certain extent. Staying warm and dry are the key.

One thing you have going well, right from the get go, is the bike. The FJR is one of the best wet weather bikes available. Planted on wet roads, handles as if dry. Great fairings and of course the windshield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice given here. I really don't know if there is "true waterproof" if it rains hard enough, or long enough though. It's trial-by-error for the most part, though there will be some to say they have found it. Good luck going forward with you search.

I second what Maggot said regarding the FJR in wet weather. Far superior to any other bike I have owned riding up here in the Pacific Northwest.

I have a one piece Rev it rain suit that I wear over my gear and highly recommend. Also, keep a towel or microfiber rag to wipe your seat off and clean the bike.

When on long trips I have a little 1/4 cover just to keep the rain off the seat. When riding I use a bead-rider as it helps the water drain from underneath me instead of sitting in a puddle of water. I've got an older aerostich which isn't technically waterproof, but thanks to the extensive windshield coverage of the FJR I have no problem with water.

But when I'm at home and it rains and I need to make that monthly run to the office, I'll either wait for a sunny day or take the car.

As a daily commuter in the Great Pacific North-Wet, I can say that you do not need a cover.

A cover gets to be a hassle very quickly. The only time I take along a cover is a small 1/4 cover when I'm camping. This is to keep the tree goop off the bike.

Rain gear has been covered in previous posts, but I will mention Frogg Toggs. I love 'em.

Karnal, your profile doesn't show what year FJR you have so this may/may not apply to you. If it's an older model with lots of "key" activity, over the years the follower flap that closes off the ignition switch, when the key is removed, sometimes hangs up and leaves the slot open to the elements. Try a little lube if needed to help it close, but if it's like mine, it gave up the ghost awhile ago. Consequently, if mine is going to sit in wet weather I put a bag over the ignition switch and slip a rubber band over it if I'm not using my bike cover.

I don't believe in separate rain gear. There are plenty of good riding jackets and pants that are perfectly waterproof and can be ridden in comfort whether it is raining or hot. I currently use a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and Motoport pants. The pants require a liner to be waterproof, but it is no big deal. They breath well and comfortable rain or shine. They are like mesh for really high temps.

The key is to get them that fit, particularly the pants. If they are too short, they will ride up over your boots, then the rain water will go inside your boot with predictable results. Also make sure you zip all the vents tightly and put the collar fairly tight around your neck so the water doesn't go down your back or in the zippers.

A pin lock system on your face shield will keep it from fogging up. With a pair of gortex boots, (You can get a pair of Alpine Stars for about $150) you are pretty much set.

+1

On my 2nd First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket (my son-in-law still uses my first) and First Gear Hypertex pants. Great stuff rain or shine. No need to take up space or waste time with a rain suit. I used to wear Rocky Eliminator II boots but retired them when I got the Oxtar Matrix instead (now known as TCX X-Five Plus) because of the improved protection.

I avoid gear that needs internal liners to keep out the rain. That means the shell will soak through and increase heat loss as well as weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Kilimanjaro jacket is good for rain but the fabric does retain moisture so it gets cold. For that reason I put on a one piece REV'IT H2O rain suit that keeps all my gear dry and keeps you warmer as we'll.

Yeah; haven't updated the profile yet - I have a 2011 FJR1300A that has the ignition cover half sticking open - looks like the metal is partially broken, so that sucks. I had a separate thread in the tech discussion regarding fixing it; if I can tear it out I could replace it - but I feel that that would be so much work as it's a critical piece.

That being said, would LOVE to make this my daily driver. Right now my wife and I work in the same area so we try to carpool to save $$ (20 miles one way) but perhaps I'll get her riding the Yamaha 950T in the rain too lol

I also have a corbin seat on the ride - not sure how water tight it would be sitting in the rain.... I will look at rain gear (and some protective pants, as I have none right now.)

Karnal, your profile doesn't show what year FJR you have so this may/may not apply to you. If it's an older model with lots of "key" activity, over the years the follower flap that closes off the ignition switch, when the key is removed, sometimes hangs up and leaves the slot open to the elements. Try a little lube if needed to help it close, but if it's like mine, it gave up the ghost awhile ago. Consequently, if mine is going to sit in wet weather I put a bag over the ignition switch and slip a rubber band over it if I'm not using my bike cover.
+1. I don't cover my ign. switch but do keep it lubed with graphite stuff. Other than that, have had no issues with wet conditions.

The FJR is a great wet weather bike as others have mentioned. I've ridden in light rain for 1/2 or so in jeans and sneakers and hardly got wet.

One thing I learned that even if you buy Goretex gloves (Held Warm n Dry) make sure they go under the sleeve of your jacket or THEY WILL FILL WITH WATER and while Goretex may be good at letting water vapor out it's EVEN BETTER at keeping water liquid in !!

Living where I do where it rains a lot of the time, and spending days at a time in Scotland where it sometimes seem to rain all the time ...

(click on image for larger view)

... I always wear a Gortex lined 2-piece riding suit, boots and gloves. I prefer non-removable waterproof linings as the garments tend to hold less water in the outer layers, but you can't get as cool in very hot weather. The Goretex is very good at breathing, if you get damp (sweat or getting caught with your jacket off in the rain) you do dry out, even when it's raining.

Always wear your gloves inside your jacket sleeves or the water will run down into your gloves.

My current kit: Alpenstars two piece suit, Daytona boots, Heine Gericke gloves.

As in all things, you usually get what you pay for, all mine was from the low end of the Gortex range, but it is waterproof (so long as you do it up correctly). But, only the inner chest pocket is guaranteed waterproof, so that's where I carry my wallet and phone (and passport if I'm going to foreign parts). To get the other jacket pockets waterproof puts the price up.

Gloves and boots, the same applies. the more expensive, the more comfortable and so on.

But, Gore guarantee the waterproofness of Gortex clothing, in the case of my boots which leaked after a little over two years, they tested them then replaced them with new, no question.

I've got water through this lot twice, once was when the boots leak as described above, and once was I got water in my crotch, I let my jacket ride up on my tank bag and the water was blown in - we get some very windy weather as well.

(Click on the image for the story)

Sometimes when the saddle is wet, you can feel damp where you are sitting and this can feel uncomfortable, but you are actually dry. (Never tried beads, but this could help.)

Of course, I rarely get the high temperatures some places and seasons make you endure, which does simplify my requirements.

The most difficult part of wet riding kit? Getting your gloves on when your hands are wet (which they will be from putting on your helmet). If the linings of your gloves are not attached in the fingers, when you take them off, do so pulling finger by finger to keep the lining tucked up to the tip, otherwise it's even worse getting the gloves on.

I have a set of Hippo Hands specifically to deal with the fact that, after sufficient time, every pair of gloves I've ever had will let the wet pass to your hands. But a 20-mile commute isn't such a challenging thing.

And then there are those gotchas that are really a pain in the wet, for which ABS/TCS is a partial help. I don't care what kind of bike you ride, it's more about the tires:

- The white material used for turn arrows, lane/shoulder markings, and crosswalk markings get super-slick when wet. Especially when new.

- Also around here, if there is work being done on streets they will often put down steel plates over the excavations. These can also be really slick when wet. I deal with this on the ferry decks, also.

One thing I learned that even if you buy Goretex gloves (Held Warm n Dry) make sure they go under the sleeve of your jacket or THEY WILL FILL WITH WATER and while Goretex may be good at letting water vapor out it's EVEN BETTER at keeping water liquid in !!
I've had experiences both ways; UNDER the cuff and water is forced up under the sleeve by the wind. But in town (low speeds) this doesn't happen.

On the highways I go over-the-cuff as the airflow keeps it from running into my gloves.

Didn't Held a dual-cuff design on one of their gloves, where there was a "under the cuff" and "over the cuff" at the same time, with a drain hole at the wrist?

I don't believe in separate rain gear. <snip> The pants require a liner to be waterproof, but it is no big deal.
<another snip>

A pin lock system on your face shield will keep it from fogging up.
First, I will second the recommendation for a pin lock to prevent fogging up.

However, if you ride in changeable weather conditions, you don't want to stop, take off your pants, zip in the liner, and put the pants back on. Also, if it gets super wet, the jacket alone won't keep you dry and, therefore, warm. Frogg Toggs bundle up nice and small, and are easy to put on.

We have a saying around here: Don't like the weather? Wait five minutes. In this corner of the nation, a separate rain suit that doesn't take up much space is a sensible precaution.