Riding in BC (you will be if you are going to NAFO)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramfrank

BramFrank
Reaction score
From the MSN home page feature articles;

Effective June 1, B.C. will add new regulations that will crack down on motorcycle riding. New fines will make helmets mandatory, but it's seating infractions that could result in you losing your bike. If motorcycle passengers do not have their feet placed on foot pegs or floorboards, cops will be able to impound the vehicle beginning later this year.

MSN doesn't specify when 'later' is.

However another site was a lot more forthcoming with data:

Effective today, there are new rules for motorcycle drivers and their passengers as the new helmet regulations and seating rules are in effect.

The new regulations are coming into effect in response to a growing number of serious injuries and deaths involving those on motorcycles. While motorcycles represent about 3% of all insured vehicles in this province, they are involved about 10% of all fatalities that occur on the roads. Between 1996 and 2010, motorcycle fatalities increased 57% in B.C. and stats show the fatality rate for drivers under the age of 25 is, on average, 15 times higher than drivers over the age of 25.

Under the helmet regulations, the "beanies" or "skull cap" styles are now illegal. Helmets MUST bear one of the following approval marks:

1. DOT: conformance with the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 218; Motorcycle helmets (United States of America), also known as FMVSS 218 (49CFR571.218).

2. Snell M2005 or Snell M2010: certification in accordance with the Snell Memorial Foundation 2005 or 2010 Standard for Protective Headgear for Use with Motorcycles and Other Motorized Vehicles.

3. ECE: approved in accordance with the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (ECE) Regulation No. 22.

Then there are the new seating regulations which require passengers to be sitting astride the bike behind the driver, and with both feet on the pegs or boards.

If the passenger's feet can't reach the pegs or boards, then the passenger is not supposed to be on the bike.

If the new seating law is violated, the bike will be impounded. Prince George RCMP Traffic Services Sergeant Al Steinhauser says there will be no grace period for those found violating the new seating regulations, but officers MAY give a rider a little extra time to buy a new, proper, helmet. If found to be in violation of the new regulations, here is what you can expect in penalties:

Motor Vehicle Act (MVA) Section . . Description . . Fine . . Points

194(1) . . Operate motorcycle – not on seat . . $121 . . 2

194(2)(a) . . Passenger unlawfully on motorcycle . . $109 . . 0

194(2)(

B) . . Motorcycle passenger not lawfully seated . . $109 . . 0​

194(2)© . . Fail to use foot pegs or floorboards . . $109 . . 0

194(3) . . Ride motorcycle without required helmet . . $138 . . 0

194(4)(a) . . Permit passenger under 16 to be unlawfully seated . . $109 . . 2

194(4)(

B) . . Permit passenger under 16 to ride without a helmet . . $138 . . 0​

194(9) . . Obstruct a peace officer . . $276 . . 0

194(10) . . Operate motorcycle more than two abreast . . $109 . . 2

Fine Increase 3.02 . . Improper Display of Plate . . $230 . . 0

Fine Increase 3.03 . . Illegal Plate . . $230 . . 0

Standing on the pegs or putting you feet out to stretch your legs can result in a ticket and also possible impounding of the vehicle if the officer feels like it

Standing on the pegs or putting you feet out to stretch your legs can result in a ticket and also possible impounding of the vehicle if the officer feels like it
Oh Hell's Bell's, at age 63 with arthritis and sciatica I am up standing on the pegs or putting my feet out to stretch fairly regularly while riding. Well, we'll see what happens!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to hold your pinkie out when you hold the throttle. Improper throttle posture will get your pinky impounded.

GEEZ.

How come the CFR can't be held in Nevada or Wyoming where there are no rules...except to pay the local Sheriff? :D

Don't forget to hold your pinkie out when you hold the throttle. Improper throttle posture will get your pinky impounded.

GEEZ.

How come the CFR can't be held in Nevada or Wyoming where there are no rules...except to pay the local Sheriff? :D
Now Wheatie, Nevada and Wyoming still have rules: You have to keep your trigger strap secured on your automatic or revolver's holster when you ride down the road!

I believe our RenoJohn was cited for not having the trigger strap secured on his Colt 45 in Clark County while he was on an Indian killing trip. jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

I ride with my feet on the passenger pegs while crusing, I wonder if they will nail you for that,I will just have to start doing the California stop :rolleyes:

In some states, and Ontario, standing on the pegs while riding is considered "stunting" and in these parts, that can get you a ticket. So, no standing up to catch a bit more breeze or to stretch your legs........ but I expect the young squids or some other group may have triggered this law, along with some non-riding lawmaker types............ I don't agree with it, but what can you do.

So I'm guessing that switching my feet from my stock pegs to my highway pegs is a moving violation? If so, the Mountie would really be bored or quite the hard ass to pull someone over for that. Guess that's what Beemerdons said the Cutty Sark is for, might be helpful during a roadside chat with the RCMP?

So I'm guessing that switching my feet from my stock pegs to my highway pegs is a moving violation?
As I interpret the law, you're ok if you have your feet actually on the highway pegs. But if you remove them from your stock pegs to get them there, you're in violation and must take your bike to an authorized motorcycle collection station for forfeiture. My house is authorized, so bring it over. Don't forget the key. And leave the tank full. Thank you.

Wonder if the BC motorcops are gonna adhere to the 'butt always on seat, no exceptions' rule

Many of 'em ride Harley Road Kings, which handle badly enough already, especially on dirt roads :dribble: BTDT

Also, how are the cops to determine if someone's rear is a couple of centimeters above the seat surface, or firmly planted on the saddle? I mean, I know the radar is sophisticated, but really, given the condition of many of BC's major highways, including #3 between Hope and Princeton, there are times when you're inadvertantly bounced semi-upright.

What are you supposed to do? Use velcro?

I predict this particular unenforceable law will remain basically unenforced

I'm also not concerned about the 'feet on pegs' thing. I'm NOT going to come to a complete stop before taking a foot off the peg, and am NOT going to plant both on the peg before starting off. That's just stupid. I don't foot drag, like you see newbies and untrained cruiser riders doing, but the bike is definitely moving before both feet are on the pegs, and not quite stopped before at least one comes off.

Damned if I'm gonna put training wheels on my FJR, and no way am I trading it in for a trike! :angry:

I be a BC confiscators dream! Standing on pegs, one handed & with a dog to boot!

6795479955_b6a224ab2a_z.jpg

I be a BC confiscators dream! Standing on pegs, one handed & with a dog to boot!

6795479955_b6a224ab2a_z.jpg
What's the law in regards to bringing a dog in to Canada? I don't necessarily mean Duke, everyone loves Dukester! I was thinking about Old Michael and ShinyPartsUp.