Riding in the rain

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it comes to riding to work in the rain, I try not to. But that's mostly because of the difficulty in keeping my clothing presentable and up to company dress code. If I get caught by rain going home, no biggy.

I don't mind rain as long as it's daylight. Rain and dark don't work for me. Eyes are too old and the risk just feels too high. I'll do it when I have to.

My #1 thing for rain riding is remember that the friggin bike has a clutch, and that it's NOT On/Off! You can't shift in turns and do a good job of managing power (especially needed on 07s) without feathering the clutch in wet conditions. I think of it as "limited slip" where I vary the amount of tire slip I'm allowing.

Hell, just slow down and ride to the potential of the available surface. No different than riding MX in the mud.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason, even with the Sterns suit, I just hate to come out and get on a cold, wet bike in the rain. OK if I've suited up and then get wet but starting in it is just a downer.
This is right on the money - I'm not going to stop riding for a bit of rain, but I don't go fire the bike up when I see showers on the forecast either.

On the ride home from picking up my '04 I got caught in a downpour and found out the hard way that my jacket wasn't waterproof as advertised. Not only was I cold and wet and miserable, but I had a hard time seeing a damned thing thanks to a foggy visor. I still had a smile on my face when I made it to a rest stop on the other side of the storm and dried off (this was entirely due to the FJR and how well it handled the slop), but it's not an experience I'm actively seeking to duplicate.

If you've got gear that will keep you warm and dry and a visor that doesn't fog up if you have an adult thought, then you don't have any distractions to keep you from concentrating on the ride. Given that set of circumstances I wouldn't say someone who likes riding in the rain has a deathwish; they're just hard core.

Last edited by a moderator: