Riding in the rain

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I ever get the money and or motivation to get off my ass and get my bike repainted like this, I guess I'd be riding in the rain each and every time... ;)

Concept05.jpg

I'm a weenie. I guess. Especially if I'm going to work. Don't mind riding home in the rain, or getting caught in the stuff if I'm out already, but I hate starting out in the rain. So, if it's raining when I leave the house for work, I'm in the cage.
EXACTLY! I don't mind getting wet on the way home, but on the way TO work is an entirely different story.

And I have yet to figure out the 'how to keep my prescription glasses dry while riding in the rain when the helmet shield fogs up and I can't see crap and I'm fully aware that 90% of my survival depends upon sight and now I can't see shit and this has gone from bad to worse so then I toss the prescription glasses and brave the elements with bare eyeballs getting stung by the rain with no real vision' syndrome. Day time not so bad, but night time in unfamiliar twisties... :angry:

Yeah, rain is fun. Especially at night.. NOT.

How many other riders regularly ride in the rain? I don't understand when I ride into work and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy. My reply is "I'm not a Harley rider and I love to ride no matter the weather". I enjoy riding as much as possible. Hell I'm riding in tonight. Am I being blind to the dangers? Irresponsible to my wife and kids? Totally selfish? I am not looking for justification but would love some feedback. Thanks for any and all replies.
Me, all the time.

Gotta be smooth with the throttle and brakes. Whole different arena when riding in the "puddles".

Keep it there, as they say!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :assassin: :assassin: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

How many other riders regularly ride in the rain? I don't understand when I ride into work and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy. My reply is "I'm not a Harley rider and I love to ride no matter the weather". I enjoy riding as much as possible. Hell I'm riding in tonight. Am I being blind to the dangers? Irresponsible to my wife and kids? Totally selfish? I am not looking for justification but would love some feedback. Thanks for any and all replies.
I don't ride in the rain "regularly". Like many, I try to avoid doing it, especially during the daily commute. That's challenging enough on a GOOD day, much less when it's raining. I don't think you're being blind to the dangers...at least I hope your not. I'm sure you know (probably better than most) exactly what changes to make in your riding when it's raining. Unless you're somehow ignoring the lessened visibility and reduced traction that rain can cause, the answer is no, you're not being irresponsible or selfish.

Let's be honest, Victor, your passion for riding, despite the weather, exceeds many other riders. I remember last year's Toy's for Tots ride here in Chicago: weather was hovering around the freezing mark, there was precipitation, and one needed to leave their house well before daylight to make the start. And who was the ONLY Chicagoland forum member (that I know of, at least) to ride in those conditions? YOU :thumbsup: I think it's safe to say your bad-weather riding skills and confidence are probably superior to many of us, just because of your experience.

Anyone who rides a motorcycle, even the biggest posers on the rode (or in the parking lot <_< ) understands you are a true rider. People who don't ride don't understand RIDING, much less doing in cold or rainy weather. So don't even bother with them.

Keep riding in that nasty weather, my friend. Just do us ALL a favor.....be extra careful doing it ;)

If I am going to tour...it is going to rain on me...and I ride in it knowing that it affects traction and vision etc. Touring is the whole experience...being out in the elements and dealing with whatever comes your way. I am not going to stop touring because of rain...I may try to adjust my route but not cancel ('cepting hurricanes).

That being said...there is something about sun that elevates the mood and rain that dampens the mood...no getting around that.

I ride day time in the rain anytime, but not at night if I can help it. When touring, I try to have camp setup before dark. Visibility is cut down with rain and it only gets worse at night. When I was younger and had better night vision, I tried pushing it later into the evening a few times, getting caught in really bad thunder storms. Following taillights and not being able to see junk on the road, made me feel like I was about to become "road kill". I start early and quit early.

I like riding in the rain.

• Cops don't like to get out of their nice, dry cruisers.

• It seems like there are fewer critters.

• The bike gets a bath.

• I like way the air smells.

• It's nice when it stops.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am going to tour...it is going to rain on me...and I ride in it knowing that it affects traction and vision etc. Touring is the whole experience...being out in the elements and dealing with whatever comes your way. I am not going to stop touring because of rain...I may try to adjust my route but not cancel ('cepting hurricanes).
That being said...there is something about sun that elevates the mood and rain that dampens the mood...no getting around that.
I can't agree more.

As long as you are aware of the dangers and take the proper precautionary measures (ie. choosing the best tracks, maintaining proper distance, being even more on alert to road hazards and other drivers, etc.), I think you're fine. There is something very satisfying about riding in the rain ... although it can be a bummer drying out when you're done riding! ;)

Artistic brings up another issue, however. Is he doing a disservice to his family by engaging in risky behavior? I wonder about this myself but I do not have kids (yet). I know of many people who cut back on their risky activities cause they don't want to risk getting hurt or killed and leaving their family to face the consequences (eg. emotional and financial distress). Sure, we can debate the word "risk" and we all know that we can walk out the door and be struck by lightening but ... let's face it ... riding a motorcycle is more risky than not riding a motorcycle.

I don't know the answer but I think it's something that each rider must consider for themselves.

I ride to work every day unless there's ice on the ground. I expect on a trip I will be rained on sometime. When I bought the bike in Chicago (4 years ago this month) I rode it home (Manhattan, KS) in a 45 degree rain till KC. Just one of those things, I guess. I do enjoy reminding people to always look for riders no matter what the weather at stops, and the looks on their faces :) . But that's me.

I ride almost every day except in icing conditions..

It is just like many other things, the more you do something the more you become comfortable with it. We just need to understand the extra precautions needed for wet weather, and yes a good set of rain gear is a MUST.

I ride in all weather except freezing cold. The biggest concern is that cagers can't see you as well in the rain.
I live in a rainforest, so if I didn't ride in the rain, my season would short and boring... :blink:

My biggest concern is the same as Geezers. When it is really coming down hard it is tough for cagers to see you. As a result I ride a lot more defensively. Smooth controls and give more thought to braking etc...

When ya get cold? stop and take a break in a nice coffee spot...I know pretty much all of them on this Island now...*LOL*

I live in a rainforest, so if I didn't ride in the rain, my season would short and boring... :blink:

Hi Barb - me too neighbour.

I ride year round on the Feej - with the exception of a few frosty weeks at the beginning of the year. If you've got good waterproof gear (I love my darien stuff) then you stay dry. There are a few other little tips and tricks like a neck tube type thing to stop the drops and draughts down the neck - good boots, combat lites are perfect - heated clothing is also great (jacket liner, gloves and heated seat for me for the colder / damper months) - and the best piece of advice I ever got from a friend when I was learning to ride was - "In the rain, ride less than 40% of your normal capacity" I've heeded that advice and I am sure it has served me well.

An added advantage of riding year round up here on the coast - is the absolute joy of riding the bike back up at 75 or 80% of your capacity once the roads are dry and clean and you are back to 'good traction conditions'.

As for balancing the risks for wife and kids - If I were to extend that arguement, it wouldn't take long before I would think that it might be better to steer clear of motorcycling altogether - but then life isn't about minimising risk - in my view, it ought to be more about optimising risks.

ride safe folks - in the dry and in the rain,

Bull

I remember last year's Toy's for Tots ride here in Chicago: weather was hovering around the freezing mark, there was precipitation, and one needed to leave their house well before daylight to make the start.

--Hey! I was out in that crap! What fun it was, too.--I was one of the idiots on the Foster Av bridge trying to direct traffic.

Hey, it's only water!

You got decent tires, a good rainsuit and a full face helmet, right?

If you're worried about the what if's ...don't ride at all.

If you pay attention and watch the other drivers, not much different than dry roads... The cagers wont' see you in any case.

Let's see.... rode in the tail end of a hurricane on the Big Island of Hawaii, but that was on my Harley. However it was nice and warm, even tho very windy. Riding around the north end of the Big Island in the rain, I had one of those perfect rides. Except I lost the other 19 riders I was with.... long story. B)

Rode the FJR from Ohio to Cali.... in Des Moines was in one of summer raindumps going 70 mph thru the middle of town freeways and can't see more than 2 cars lengths ahead.... put on my nice Harley rainsuit after I got thru town... and 10 minutes later the rain stopped....per usual... But barely damp thanks to the FJR fairings...

Rode from Flagstaff to Amarillo in one shot... started raining as I got into New Mexico. I did have my rain jacket on, but since I hate stopping to get dressed or undressed, didn't have the rainpants on... my bad. Started sprinkling halfway thru New Mexico, kept getting worse. One of those windy night when the rain is pouring down sideways, with the freeway under construction in Texas and down to two lanes at times. Got to the hotel at 10:30 at night. Three cheers for hairdryers! Still took 2 hours to get everything to at least damp dry. Oh, was on the Harley. A windshield is NOT the same as a fairing. You know you're way too wet when you walk into a hotel dripping wet and the night clerk starts giggling....

However, I have extra light taillights on all my bikes, and fog lights on the Harley, just so folks can see it a bit better.

My Scorpian helmet leaks a bit... at least when I forget to close the top vents. DUH! A nice SILK hanky tied over your nose and mouth cuts the fogging way down. Cotton scratches and drips water. At lights I crack the faceshield. Rain still gets in, but that cold water will keep you alert. :eek:

I do carry two faceshields, one tinted and one clear, but I cant' see the GPS without bifocals. The silk scarf seems to work well so I can see. Also wear one around my neck to keep water out.

Practicing smooth riding on dry roads does carry over to wet roads.

If there's thunderstorms, no ride. Just rain, be careful. Don't ride the first half hour it's raining if at all possible.

And watch out for idiots ALL the time.

Mary

If I am leaving my house and it is raining, it really depends on many things. most of the time I would take the car. Sometimes I would show up for my class on the bike even so it is raining. It gives my student s a bit more confidants.

I rode plenty in the rain, but choose to avoid it as much as possible now days. AS someone pointed out, there are too many morons out there. And rains brings out their best. I have two kids now and no reason for me to risk them not getting a good night and good morning kiss from me just because I am desperate to ride and it is raining. I am endangering myself enough as it is. In 2006 I had one kid and he was suffering for two month because I had a broken tibia and ankle and could no longer run and play with him as we did before. I am not eager to repeat that again.

Haven't read the other replies...Soooo;

The only time I won't ride is if there is known ice on the roads. Rain or shine I'll ride. Ig et the same responses you do. I kinda smile and respond, "It's a bike thing, you wouldn't understand". As a note, If yov'e read any of my posts, you see that I ride in just about anything.

Enjoy the ride, rain or shine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I draw the line at snow... at least I did until last Thursday, when I got caught in an unexpected blizzard up here in Calgary. Wish I'd had a camera to grab a few pics. At one point (stopped to make a turn), the rear wheel would not grab, just spin... and she went out from under me (AMEN to sliders). Managed to limp it to a parking lot, then waited all day for things to clear, and on the ride home got caught in the crap again. Needless to say, FJR is not a snowplow, although I was pretty impressed with the Metzler's performance in up to an inch of snow and slush.

As for rain, I try harder to be smooth, and have never had an issue. If you ride like an idiot in the wet, I reckon you'll go down.

Griff

I like riding in the rain.
• Cops don't like to get out of their nice, dry cruisers.

• It seems like there are fewer critters.

• The bike gets a bath.

• I like way the air smells.

• It's nice when it stops.
That's about the best summary I've ever seen.

Used to commute in England, I got to where I really didn't notice rain too much (yes, before you all dogpile me, I did adjust for traction and visibility, but almost automatically). Get a set of $10 yellow Sterns plastic rain suit to put over everything. Cuts the wind and keeps you completely dry. A lot cheaper than, say, a $900 BMW suit that does exactly the same thing.

For some reason, even with the Sterns suit, I just hate to come out and get on a cold, wet bike in the rain. OK if I've suited up and then get wet but starting in it is just a downer.

If you do it enough you eventually should develop the skill of seeing between the starbursts of light caused by the rain drops that have snuck into the inside of your visor. A real skill if executed at night on the freeway.

Like ponyfool, taff & a bunch of other folks [rain forest], my season would be way to short if I didn't ride in the rain. Have to use due diligence & a gear higher that usual. Some of my best rides have been in the rain. Talk about heighten senses!