Riding the FJR in Heavy Rain

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point being if you're not capable of going around cars in the wet, are you capable of doing it in the dry??
Huh? :blink:
Just to clarify my "Huh?", the logic escaped me. Not saying anything about whether it's true or not. I just couldn't follow the logic through the two scenarios about how to behave around cars in the dry vs. wet.

And finally, having ridden in some pretty nasty rain storms commuting home across the Bay Bridge in the dark and very thick, slow-moving traffic, with the wind blowing the rain horizontally across the bridge, my only thought about the description of the car-passing speed at the top of this link was whether it took into account the limited visibility of car drivers whose windows are fogged up making lane changes while talking on cell phones. I never feel so vulnerable as when I'm riding in thick traffic in the dark and rain. Talk about feeling invisible!

Jb

The only trouble with this is that the more common extreme stories become the more likely it is for less-than-average riders to attempt to mimic this kind of behavior.
Everyone needs to ride their own ride. I remember watching evil knievel at age 5 down in phoenix, but even at that impressionable age I knew better than to attempt to imtimidate it when I got home and back on my Kawasaki 75cc bike

I love to see and hear of the extremes. Kenny Roberts was my idol for years and I've yet to outgrow that,

when I hear Gary Egan's recording of his UCC recorord breaking ride ...amazing .

.Mike McCoy running the Baja 1000 solo and finishing ....amazing

Warchild running seven consectutive BBG rides ...amazing

Rossi Valentino's 7 Grand Prix championships at an early age (not to mention $30million annual income as of late) ...amazing

Riding Moto-Bike is great fun, I want to hear the stories, I'll never come close to many of these wonderful accomplishments, but I love to hear the stories, I love to dream ...these extremes capture my imagination. Amazing feats.

...while HiYoSilver's feat may not be as dramatic, he rode his ride, he had fun and he shared the excitment here ......GREAT JOB and I look forward to reading the next one.

Just to clarify my "Huh?", the logic escaped me. Not saying anything about whether it's true or not. I just couldn't follow the logic through the two scenarios about how to behave around cars in the dry vs. wet.
and my point was that riding in wet is part of riding ...and it takes skills just like riding in the dry. If you don't have those skills, maybe you ought to not be on the road ...(that is what I did a poor job of trying to say)

And finally, having ridden in some pretty nasty rain storms commuting home across the Bay Bridge in the dark and very thick, slow-moving traffic, with the wind blowing the rain horizontally across the bridge, my only thought about the description of the car-passing speed at the top of this link was whether it took into account the limited visibility of car drivers whose windows are fogged up making lane changes while talking on cell phones. I never feel so vulnerable as when I'm riding in thick traffic in the dark and rain. Talk about feeling invisible!
Jb
Lived in the city for a while, commuted over the bay bridge for a longer while. Vast majority in a cage, rarely on bike. I share you thoghts, nothing is more scary for me than tight traffic in adverse weather ...and while the FJR is stong on stability, it gives a poor perch to see much as it is short and put rider forward. Good for the folks that can ride the heavy traffic, but just like high speed lane splitting, I'll say no thanks. We all have different environments, riding styles, experience and strengths ...so IMO not appropriate for someone to tell someone else how to ride ...especially from the keyboard, especially if done insultingly. We all can use riding tips, insults from a keyboard jockey don't do much to help.

I have been really happy with the FJR and how it handles in the wet, and how it really has to rain hard for a long time to get the rider wet. Great stuff. I ride year round and that means a good deal of rain. I have ridden in the snow the FJR in a blizzard, but luckily the tar was warm enough to melt the snow as it landed and snow only collected on the painted lines. Phew!

I really enjoy rain riding. Maybe it's just another experience of "being in it" on the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heavy rain, thunder and lightening in Tn. heading home from EOM 06.

Most alive I have ever felt.

Bring it on, I love it.

Mark

This year has definately been a wet one and i also love it !!! The FJR is just such a damn good platform !!! And Reno...chasing windmills on peyote !!! ...Damn...a man after my own heart..or whats left of it anyway..if i get up that way we gotta hook up my brudda !!! Love Ya'lls spirit !!! Gotta ride !!

Bobby

Got caught on the b.r.p. 2 weeks ago when she opened up with a real nice 30 minute storm ererything went well , but my goggles keeped fogging up , As for doing 70 on the hwy in a storm not my style at all to many things can go wrong at that speed in the rain .

I was wearing the Nolan Flip 102 with the pinlock system and found it did not fog up at all...this was a pleasant surprise as well.

Heavy rain, thunder and lightening in Tn. heading home from EOM 06.
Most alive I have ever felt.

Bring it on, I love it.

Mark
I hate the f**king rain when on a motorcycle. Full stop. Period. End of discussion (albeit not the thread.... :D . )

Jb

**Edit** Perusing some of the other posts in this thread about staying dry and all that when riding in the rain, it makes me realize that the only time I ride (have ridden) in the rain is commuting. I don't get to go fast and not get wet. I go slow and get wet (leaking in the crotch of my 'stitch, of course) while dodging cars and hoping my brake lights and reflective tape are waking people at least a tiny bit out of their cell phone stupors. And oh yeah, then there's my SUOMY anti-fog shield getting so friggin' fogged up that I start swearing and flipping my visor and trying to wipe it off while dodging...(etc., see previous rant above).

I would like to add that my Scorpion exo400 helmet with the stock anti-fog visor works as advertised. While not as comfortable as my Arai, on hot humid or cold humid days, it really works, and i'm a sweaty lad in the heat...and for an inexpensive helmet it is quite comfortable..just my 02...back to your regular scheduled diatribe..

Bobby

I love riding the FJR in the rain. Twice a week I get to make a 100 mile two lane blacktop run to work and I smile at a 'bad' weather report.

In the rain, cagers seem to give more respect though I'm not shy about making more space if I begin to feel closed in on. Not that there's all that much traffic at 4 am but by 6 when I hit the city and the e-way all bets are off. I stay in the left lane and travel at 85 like everyone else, keep my extended distance open in front of me and avoid running in blindspots of any vehicles to my immediate right. I enjoy the trip much more than droning along in the car and I'm guessing they all know it by my riding style and posture.

The feeling of being cacooned, warm and dry while rain pours down around me adds to that elusive, hard-to-describe sensation only riding a motorcycle provides.

A dog with its head out the window of a moving car would probably know what I'm talkng about, though probably not in the rain... ;)

Bad rain has NEVER stopped me from riding bikes. Never will.

But having EXPERIENCED aquaplaning myself, and the HORRIBLE feeling of complete and utter loss of control, I have learned to slow right down where and when appropriate. I don't want to die or be disabled for the rest of my life and sit in a wheelchair shaking my head (assuming I could still shake my head) saying "Shoulda slowed down".

I'm sure my family feel the same way.

Rain? What the hell is that? Apparently we don't get that here in Western Montana. Ah, but have you ever ridden in dense smoke and ash at speed? Now there's a thrill!

The rain was so bad on the 6 lane highway, cars had their emergency blinkers on going about 40-50mph in the Fast Lane. So the hard part was not the rain, but getting around all the cars in the fast lane not moving over. I was going about 50-70mph and was going around them like pylons.
another "keyboard jockey" here....??? well, whatever you think, Reno. That is your prerogative

I will concur with folks questioning this seemingly braggadocio testimony. Living and riding in Seattle for some 30 yrs., rain riding is not uncommom. Guess when most accidents happen on divided hwys. up this way ??? When is visibility at its worst ??? (fogged windows, road spray, windscreen/visor misting---look at the pic of Reno's windscreen parked at gas st. pumps).

I have passed vehicles briskly in the rain, taken experienced MSF course twice, learned riding off road many a year before owning first street bike, ridden in snow (Beartooth Pass in Aug.) and on black ice (Mt. St. Helens in Oct.) all unanticipated, thunder and hail storms in Colo., Wyo., & Montana on more than one occasion, horrendous wind storms in Nevada and around Columbia Gorge. I am quite confident in my abilities and experience but not deluded about the unanticipated. I've had cars pull out almost into me, near deer strikes, cell phoning cager near misses, cars across ctr. lines in blind corners and I have to admit (which many will) that it wasn't always riding proficiency that got me safely out of some situations., just sheer luck, destiny, fate, Providence, what have you. (see p.s.below)

Yes, the FJR (with good tires) does handle exceptionally well in adverse weather which I believe is the point of this thread. Many of us know this from experience and can continue to roll when meteorological conditions become less than favorable. I just get hung up on the statement: "I was going around them....like pylons" :blink: (some 20 mph faster?). There's a reason they had their flashers on! (I've actually used mine in traffic a time or two). I would only say, he's lucky he didn't end up spinning down the hwy. like a top, or impail himself on an unyielding object not of his choosing. I align myself with those who raised their eyebrows over this. I've gone down on the Feejer 5 yrs. ago (old archives fjrowners.com "yet another lesson: wake up!)) and it's too easy to feel too invincible on this fine handling machine. Had the post been "Rider killed weaving thru cars in severely inclement conditions at significantly higher speeds", I wonder what posters reactions would have been??? :(

I guess my only real point here is, wake up calls give us something to think about and may ultimately get someone to stop and think in a critical situation which may derail a disaster. The FJR is a joy to ride spiritedly and yes, I have and do exceed posted limits- with discretion- so I am not better than anyone else in that regard.

Enjoy the ride, keep it safe, and the best of good fortune down the road!!! :)

Roamer

p.s. There are many hurculean "stories of the road" and I am awed at the feats some have done but, to keep it in perspective, some are perhaps merely lucky to still be riding ???? https://www.advrider.com/Fame/Deer.html

sometimes rider skill and equipment just isn't enough......

personal insults not intended if indeed they came across this way ;)

another "keyboard jockey" here....??? well, whatever you think, Reno. That is your prerogative

I am quite confident in my abilities and experience but not deluded about the unanticipated. I've had cars pull out almost into me, near deer strikes, cell phoning cager near misses, cars across ctr. lines in blind corners and I have to admit (which many will) that it wasn't always riding proficiency that got me safely out of some situations., just sheer luck, destiny, fate, Providence, what have you. (see p.s.below)

personal insults not intended if indeed they came across this way ;)
LOL, great post FJroamer, there is IMO a big differnece between a raised eyebrow (your word) and polite words of caution (as you did) and self-rightious insults as we saw earlier in this thread. Was he lucky? Hard for me to say, I wasn't there, and neither were you, but the unexpected things that you mention certainly are likely to be exaggerated in those conditions. I'm glad he had fun, I'm glad he enjoyed it and I'm glad he shared his excitment here. It was his ride, none of us can or should take that from him.

Riding proficiency, common sense and respect of the many hazzards go a long way, but you are sure correct with your comments of the unexpected and your points of slowing down etc are good ones. We face unexpected challenges every day, some we miss by luck, some we don't by (bad)luck. It is a fact of riding and good skills and common sense go far ...but they are no guarantee of a safe ride.

Yep, Dale's deer strike is a GREAT read! happened just north of my home here ....deer are a huge problem where I live, much more so than wayward cagers. We see many many deer strikes each week. Here is one of a good buddy of mine (CLICKY) --one of the few that actually got some pictures taken. this happend in Yosemite

Keep riding your ride FJroamer, and keep an eye out for my flashers ....I put them on in rain too!!! LOL

....and here is some keyboard practice for you .......see the deer in the first picture?? ......would you if you were spirited riding on this Colorado road? How about at night??

P1010090.jpg

P1010090a.jpg

Wow Reno...that picture haunts me!!!

Washingtonians are familiar with Hwy. 20 (N. Cascades Hwy.) last summer I was east of there, going over Sherman Pass (highest paved pass in Wa.) mid week, no traffic to speak of and the road was near identical to that pic. Now look at your pic and move the deer back just a tad and to the right so it blends in with the rock slide/ clearing area on right and put it just off the shoulder. Now it would be virtually invisible, right!? So I'm motoring thru the esses at a good accelerated clip and it was early afternoon, not anywhere near dusk or dawn, a 90* day, bright sunlight. Wasn't thinking deer at all, just setting up for the next set of turns, checking mirrors for vehicles from behind. All was marvelously sporting !!! Until !!!!!

The deer had evidently been grazing (or stalking me in stealth mode) and never moved..., until I got near the l.h. sweeper and it hopped up onto the r.h. fog line. I guess I had a moments more notice than Warchild did in his deer encounter. It stared straight at me.... Would it stay there???? Would it amble across the road???? Would it wait for the last moment and dart towards me ????? All I could do was nail the (non ABS) brakes, scrubbing off speed, and hope for the best ! The rear was locked up (over exhuberant!) and I knew I was now "going for a ride!!" Luckily, fortunately, providentially, the deer ran across the road and I went off the road very near to where it had been standing, again, fortunately into a run off cleared area, dust and dirt flying everywhere. The people coming up behind me, shortly there-after, thought I had bit it but I came to a cloudy stop, still upright in a ditch, with no injury nor any damage to bike but it did take three of us to get it back up on the road. The ego wants to say I had it under control but the soul knows better. Needless to say, I slowed down just a tad, for just a while, and was much more on the lookout untill the adrenaline settled. I suppose it will happen again, or at least I should be riding as if it will!

...and this was on dry road with 100% visibility ;)

sometimes "too fast" is just, "too fast!!!" ya know what I mean??? ...and that is really my only point here in this thread.....

...and you had to go and show me that pic, huh Reno!? :p

I would like to add that my Scorpion exo400 helmet with the stock anti-fog visor works as advertised. While not as comfortable as my Arai, on hot humid or cold humid days, it really works, and i'm a sweaty lad in the heat...and for an inexpensive helmet it is quite comfortable..just my 02...back to your regular scheduled diatribe..

Bobby

Whatcha doing different than I am... I have a Scoripian Warhawk with the antifog shield and it does fog up... I finally tied a silk scarf around my face ( bandit style) , cracked the shield open a bit and that worked. It was a bit chilly, tho... if the 40's and raining... from Ohio to Virginia last April. wasn't on the FJR, tho, but the Deuce, with only a windshield. Harley raingear works for us po' folks that cant' afford the Aerostitch suits...<G>

Mary

some parts of Ohio have more than their fair share of deer... We've had three good sized ones trot across the road... at 1 in the afternoon in the middle of summer!

and lots of times about 2 or 3 -mid afternoon, 1 or 2 amble across the road, it's a county highway, but heavily traveled. Best one was watching 15 of the little suckers cross the road in front of the house last March... it was too dark to take pics, tho. and I dint' have any ammo...bummers! <LOL>

mary

here is your wake-up call that was posted on www.sportbikes.net just today.

"I was heading to work this morning and at approximately 0530 hours it started to down pour.

I was on a 6 lane highway (3 lanes each way) and slowed my speed to 30mph.

Now I've ridden in worse storms then this and never had a problem.

After 5 minutes into the storm either the front tire hit a big puddle and started to hydroplane or the rear tire hit an oily patch (We haven't had rain in forever here in NC) and started to kick out.

I was driving straight and the bike began to slide sideways and down toward the ground.

I hit the ground and immediately pulled my legs off the ground and rolled to my back and slid on my back.

I slid approximately 100 feet to the shoulder of the road.

My bike also slid toward the shoulder and stopped right before the grass. Of course no one stopped to help (4-5 cars 200 feet behind me) so I picked my bike up myself and called so LEO and Medics.

Only injuries are to my middle finger on left hand, its a 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch spot wore down to the meat and the other injury is just a 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch spot on my pointer finger on right hand that is wore down a bit. My left wrist and back is starting to stiffen up also. My gun slid from my right side to my back and was jamming into my back since I was sliding feet first. The gun holster is scuffed up a bit. I think that's where the soreness is coming from.

My jacket and gloves held up well. I also had my brand spanking new saddle bags on. Being that the highway was a big puddle, the bike and my gear didn't get damged much. The frame slider saved the bike a lot of damage.

My right fairing is scuffed and lower fairing is scuffed. Right framer slider is ground down and the right saddle bag has a two to three inch tear. The biggest part is the Akrapovic carbon fiber exhaust was ground down. I have full coverage and a $500 deductable which sucks but oh well. I'll post pics when I get home. I have to work until 1800 so they should be posted around 1930 hours."