Riding Tips from a Class-A CHP Moto Officer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
This was on another forum that I frequent and I thought I would share it here. Eddie is a top-notch moto officer and has competed in and won many of the moto competitions in the Bay Area. U-turns on an incline can be one of the trickier moves and he has some good insight here. B)

I haven't seen any new riding tips posted in awhile, so I thought I would pick a skill that most riders tend to find difficult. U turns on a hill tend to spook riders. Some find it intimidating. Others don't know the proper technique. Here are some simple steps to doing u turns on an incline/decline.
When doing turning maneuvers on an incline, you need three things: Friction zone, rear brake, and proper head/eye. You need to be in the friction zone on the incline and feather the rear brake on the decline. Turn your head 180 degrees and lock the bars and power yourself throughout the turn. The steeper the hill, the more critical it is to have power to the rear wheel by slipping the clutch. If you coast through your turns with the clutch lever fully engaged and the throttle tube closed, you will end up on the ground with your bike. Control your speed by applying the rear brake, not by closing the throttle tube. Don't stab it, just feather it enough to scrub off some speed. You need to be moving at a walking pace through the entire turn. Any slower and you are going to drop your bike. Counterbalance may help out, but isn't necessary on turns less than 18 feet wide. The bike will lean, so let it lean - don't fight it. Maintain your speed and the turn will happen. Left turns seem to be easier for most people, so try practicing those on a driveway or loading dock where the incline isn't very steep. Once you get it, try doing right turns. If you are on a sportbike, you may need to rotate your throttle hand forward (high wrist) when doing right u turns to keep it from getting pinned between the throttle and tank.

9432t9UWtfM

Common mistakes are: not turning your head, staring at the ground (or both), not being in the friction zone, not turning the bars, going too slow, grabbing the front brake, and not committing to the turn.

Thanks. Now you tell me. Only 6 years too late. Only time it's been down. I did almost everything wrong, almost nothing right. September 11, 2005

IMG_1315.jpg

I once saw a CHP motocop pull one of these maneuvers on a ramp that was two car widths wide with concrete wall on both sides. He was parked going up hill against the right wall. He fired it up, kicked it in gear, and U-turned that baby to the left and down the ramp. I stood gape-jawed.... :eek:

...He fired it up, kicked it in gear, and U-turned that baby to the left and down the ramp. I stood gape-jawed.... :eek:
I have a MotorPatrol friend who pulls those kind of moves all the time. I have the same reaction you had each and every time he does it. :dribble:

Hell, I can't even turn my head 180 degrees. :dribble:
I did a slow riding course once organised by the bike section of the Garda Siochana (Irish Police). They were very impressive slow riders. I did express my admiration for their riding skills. In response they didn't admit to being anymore talented than anyone else, they just practice, a lot.

...they didn't admit to being anymore talented than anyone else, they just practice, a lot.
Key part right there. I'm not a great low-speed rider, but I've given it some practice and as a result am better than I was. Getting better still. Keep practicing!

One of the many important aspects of slow tight turns is that some motorcycles accomplish this more easily than others. The wheelbase and the center of gravity are two key factors.

The COG can be thought of as 'Weebles wobble but they don't fall down'. That's obviously an exaggerated example, but the key thing isn't that the bike is massively heavy (gold wings, harleys, etc), it's where most of the weight is situated (the COG).

Bikes like the Feej, with higher ground clearance, higher seats (making your weight higher up), large gas tanks, and an inline 4 with the heads up high (accounting for a lot of the engine weight), will be more apt to tip than bikes with low clearance, low seat heights etc etc.

Guess basically bringing this up is to be aware that if you see someone making slow tight turns on a cruiser, don't think you can go and do the same thing on your feej without modifying the technique a bit. You'll definitely need to counter weight more to off set the weight being up higher.

I really admire the Police and their abilities in these situations. But hey they get paid to practice it, they're not on their own bikes, they have crash bars all over the place, and to be a moto cop they have to succeed at this. For us, it just means we don't have to put our feet down and walk around, it's not a skill that saves our lives, like being proficient at emergency braking or emergency swerving or proper cornering technique does.

just sayin...

I'm guessing Garauld is stocking up on OEM paint after reading this ;) .
No doubt. He makes it sound so easy. Always quite a bit tougher to do than to describe doing.

I wish I could get the training those Motor Cop guys do. What they can do with a motorcycle is two-wheeled poetry. Quite amazing.

Hell, I can't even turn my head 180 degrees. :dribble:
In response they didn't admit to being anymore talented than anyone else, they just practice, a lot.
On beater bikes they're not afraid to crash, and that makes all the difference.

At a motorcycle show I asked a moto-cop about those mad skills, and he said you had to be good just to get into the moto-officer trials to compete to be a moto-cop. So before that you got yourself a beater bike and practiced slow maneuvers, not afraid to drop it.

At the experienced MSF course I was the only one working hard to do the U-turns on my FJR within the lines of the course box. Later the others said they didn't want to risk dropping their bikes. And I thought, "Of course. Duh!"

Last edited by a moderator:
... Garda Siochana (Irish Police). ... they didn't admit to being anymore talented than anyone else...
The Irish are humble.

Some Irish are humble. There are a few here I would question, one in particular. :p
Truer words were never spoken Old Michael, Humility is one of the finest qualities of we Hibernians: The other best trait of we Fenians is naturally our big dicks, of course! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Last edited by a moderator:
For us, it just means we don't have to put our feet down and walk around, it's not a skill that saves our lives, like being proficient at emergency braking or emergency swerving or proper cornering technique does.
just sayin...
I occasionally practice tight U-turns with dramatic counter-leaning and full head turns, and as a result know that I can do it. But if I'm in a group of riders I will always elect to paddle-walk the bike. That's because there's another element, which is nerves. I'd be afraid I'd drop the bike, so nerves kick in, which throws you off your game. And without the muscle memory of having done it for hours of practice, I elect not to risk it.

A similar feeling kicks in during my commute. When lane sharing on the freeway through slow or stopped traffic, or weaving to the front of the signal through 60 yards of backed-up cars, you need to go real slow, while weaving around cars that are poking out farther than others.

And sometimes when you get three cars from the front you realize the lane you need is the opposite one 'cause you're pinched in and can't get to the front. So you pull your feet up onto the pegs and weave around in front of that one car that is a full car length behind the car in front of it.

But if I'm feeling nervous or self-conscious when I do that, I have to put my feet down and paddle-walk it.

My BRC instructor told us, "You have to do the U-turn in the box to pass, but don't worry about it, as it's not gonna save your life one day. Walk the bike when you need to!"