Riding to Alaska, Daily Budget, What do you think?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockmurf

IBA #31100
Reaction score
What do you think would be a fair dollar figure for daily expenses with maybe 30% camping (sleeping on concrete tables at rest stops) and 70% motels. Including food, gas, misc expenses? Trying to see if I can afford to make the trip. Got the ok from work, the ok from the wife, bike is ready, probably should put a new battery in as it still has the stock battery with 61k miles, and I better be. Planning on June-July 3-4 weeks, fl to alaska. I am not a drinker nor a partier(?) just love to ride and then ride some more. So what do you think, 500 mile days @40mpg average about $40. gas, food using the $5, $10, $20 rule plus $10 will round off to $50, now the lodging is the biggest daily expense, $60 on average(?). That is $150 per day = $3150 for a 21 day venture. I will need to cut that down and I know I can stay here and there with friends but going out of my way may offset the savings. Any suggestions would be helpful. I really don't want to get into camping with tent and sleeping bag etc due to the space of packing the stuff and the set up and break down each day not to mention the purchase cost of getting into it. My goal here is to be able to take this trip and not stress about the money. Thanks again for any worthwhile suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
To save money on my trip last year, I joined hotel rewards programs for every chain that I stayed at to earn free nights and get stuff like free breakfast and internet access. I like the Choice Hotels program and even got one of their rewards credit cards.

If you're an AMA member, you can use the special AMA rate at any of the choice hotel chains (online booking - I sometimes made the reservation from the parking lot of the hotel) the discount beats AAA and there were only a few occasions where the government employee rate was cheaper.

Have a great time!

If you are planning to sleep outdoors 30 percent of the time you might as well get some decent camping equipment and do it 90 percent of the time. Buy some lightweight camping gear that can be set up and taken down in 5-10 minutes. You will pay for it the first 2-3 nights you use it. I camped 28 of 29 days the last time I went to Alaska, all of the major towns have campgrounds with hot showers.

As long as you're camping up in Alaska with the bears, make sure you buy some beef stew to drizzle in a circle on the ground around your tent. The bears cannot cross that line...there have been no known complaints from campers who have tried this...

...well maybe except for some screaming and yelling for a short time. But if you're patient, that noise goes away.

What do you think would be a fair dollar figure for daily expenses with maybe 30% camping (sleeping on concrete tables at rest stops) and 70% motels. Including food, gas, misc expenses? Trying to see if I can afford to make the trip. Got the ok from work, the ok from the wife, bike is ready, probably should put a new battery in as it still has the stock battery with 61k miles, and I better be. Planning on June-July 3-4 weeks, fl to alaska. I am not a drinker nor a partier(?) just love to ride and then ride some more. So what do you think, 500 mile days @40mpg average about $40. gas, food using the $5, $10, $20 rule plus $10 will round off to $50, now the lodging is the biggest daily expense, $60 on average(?). That is $150 per day = $3150 for a 21 day venture. I will need to cut that down and I know I can stay here and there with friends but going out of my way may offset the savings. Any suggestions would be helpful. I really don't want to get into camping with tent and sleeping bag etc due to the space of packing the stuff and the set up and break down each day not to mention the purchase cost of getting into it. My goal here is to be able to take this trip and not stress about the money. Thanks again for any worthwhile suggestions.
rockmurf,

Doing a 48 plus from Fl to Hyder in May... Double up your miles/get a 10-10ths.

Iron Butt Hotels planned the first 4 days. Come on and enjoy the ride! :D

Brush up on your spanish too (Mexico)

Wheaton, thanks for the great idea, I never heard that before, I will stock up on dinty moores beef stew and use it religiously. If you don't hear from me after June you will know why.

Lodging will be $60 minimum. What Recession?! Budget motor inn's will be $75 unless you get lucky. Plan $100 a night, end up with some extra. Choice, Clairion, Sleep Inn all over $90.

The Motel Coupon Books at state line rest areas are a great help - you can literally save 50% or more on lodging. When you cross into a state, grab the discount coupon book. Find places along your line of travel - you can often find a Days Inn or something for $39 or $49. But not always . . .

$200 a day is a nice round number for travel. Don't forget brand *brand* new tires before you leave. You do not want to be trying to find a replacement tire somewhere in Western Nebraska. Find a shop on your return leg and have a new rear tire ordered and waiting for you - somewhere around the 6K mile mark.

Camping is great, but you won't be doing 500 miles a day if you camp with gear. Figure 45 minutes each end to set up and tear down, up to an hour getting from the main road to and from the camping area (unless you're doing KOA, at $40 a night...)

Slow down. Sniff some flowers. And take more cash.

Have you ever done a 21*500 mile trip before? It gets friggin old after about 5 days and you'll want to take a couple slow days and goof off. Or maybe you'll sidetrack through the Ozarks and only get 200 miles in. Banff and Jasper are slow and beautiful. And don't miss Glacier NP. Also slow. The only place you'll make good time is FL-GA-KY-TN-IL-MO-KS-NE-SD then you're into scenery.

If you are planning to sleep outdoors 30 percent of the time you might as well get some decent camping equipment and do it 90 percent of the time. Buy some lightweight camping gear that can be set up and taken down in 5-10 minutes. You will pay for it the first 2-3 nights you use it. I camped 28 of 29 days the last time I went to Alaska, all of the major towns have campgrounds with hot showers.
https://milepost.com/ rockmurf: I'm in full agreement with MCRIDER007! I've ridden a motorcycle to Alaska for work 6 times and I camped up/back every single time!

Do you have a copy of the Alaska Milepost and Milepost Map yet? If not, consider buying these new/used. I mailed my 2006 copies to Don "dcarver" Carver last year.

You may private message dcarver and see if he'd mail it to you if you wanted to save $30; then photocopy what pages you need. Better to buy it yourself though!

Camping is great, but you won't be doing 500 miles a day if you camp with gear. Figure 45 minutes each end to set up and tear down, up to an hour getting from the main road to and from the camping area (unless you're doing KOA, at $40 a night...)

Have you ever done a 21*500 mile trip before? It gets friggin old after about 5 days and you'll want to take a couple slow days and goof off. Or maybe you'll sidetrack through the Ozarks and only get 200 miles in. Banff and Jasper are slow and beautiful. And don't miss Glacier NP. Also slow. The only place you'll make good time is FL-GA-KY-TN-IL-MO-KS-NE-SD then you're into scenery.
I agree that the 500 mile days will get old very quickly and think you are not planning enough time. However, camping actually gives you a lot more flexibility on how many miles you can ride in a day. You will have 20 hours of daylight in the Yukon and Alaska and campgrounds are plentiful along the ALCAN, not so for motels and unless you have reservations they may be very expensive and/or full if you decide to ride until 10 PM on some days.

Lodging will be $60 minimum. What Recession?! Budget motor inn's will be $75 unless you get lucky. Plan $100 a night, end up with some extra. Choice, Clairion, Sleep Inn all over $90.
The Motel Coupon Books at state line rest areas are a great help - you can literally save 50% or more on lodging. When you cross into a state, grab the discount coupon book. Find places along your line of travel - you can often find a Days Inn or something for $39 or $49. But not always . . .

$200 a day is a nice round number for travel. Don't forget brand *brand* new tires before you leave. You do not want to be trying to find a replacement tire somewhere in Western Nebraska. Find a shop on your return leg and have a new rear tire ordered and waiting for you - somewhere around the 6K mile mark.

Very good points and wise words.

Last summer I did a 16 day 6000 mile ride to Canada (Banff and Jasper) and stayed in hotels every night. I did split the hotel costs with one of my buddies so my spending might be less then yours but I ended up spending about 2600 bucks when all was said and done which comes out to 160'ish per day.

Kind of expensive considering I am not adding in the cost of new tires and the few other items I needed for a trip like this but in the end it was worth evey penny. I do agree with the other posters that the 500 mile days get old really fast. We did more then 500 the first few days and quickly figured out it was better to keep the days around 300-350 and take more time seeing the sights.

I agree that the 500 mile days will get old very quickly and think you are not planning enough time. <snip>
this is timely as I've been looking to do Alaska as well; in fact was just talking about it this past weekend with 101st when I was down in his area.

My thoughts are to make 500+ mile days while you can, meaning in the US on the Interstates. On the bigger days I think you'd be better off getting a good nights rest at a hotel/motel. When you get up to Canada/Alaska, slow down, sniff the flowers!

I have good camping gear and "try" to camp on my trips, but don't tend to do it that much. I sleep "much" better on a bed and my old bones don't like the ground as much, but YMMV.

As stated before, if you are going to camp, spend the $$ and get some good gear, it's well worth it! If you're on a budget, there might be some deals on used, good equipment if you dig some here and there. Keep it light; I don't pack food anymore as it's just too much to try and get everything in. A pack of hotdogs or similar from the local store does just fine, or even a diner/restaurant.

I do pack a little "hooch" tho; kinda helps ease the pain...

My two cents...I've been on two long trips on the FJR,one six weeks and one eight weeks.I camp about 80% of the time.The key to being comfortable over the long haul is taking an inflatable mattress.If you roll it up it doesn't take up much more room than a sleeping mat and it is far more comfortable.

You do save a lot of money camping,but the best part of camping is you meet a lot of interesting people.In motels most people just lock themselves in and hang out,but in campgrounds people seem to get out and socialize more...especially if you're on a bike with out of state plates.

As someone posted on another board...I remember every campground I've stayed in,but I don't remember one motel room.I definitely understand what he was saying.

Don't forget your suit with little bells on it:

bear_warning_sign.jpg

Thermarest self-inflating mattress. There is no second choice for comfort and portability (and so much faster to inflate/deflate, too). It's true, camp and you'll meet every old guy who ever owned a motorcycle. And the best deal for a filling lunch is to stop at a good supermarket and get a sandwich or something like fried chicken at the deli counter. Subway or KFC can't hold a candle to it for price or taste. Something to drink and a little bag of chips, find a scenic spot down the road when you get hungry again. Nice break. An Egg McMuffin breakfast and refill your Camelbak with ice. The only thing I fix on the road when I'm camping is coffee--backpacker's stove and a filter cone dealie. Have fun. Bring "Deep Woods Off," btw. And bear bells.

Been to Alaska last 3 years twice on the FJR. Plan on rain 1/3 of the time, at least. Rooms are $$$ get a buddy to split the cost. I do camp not so often since a bear woke me up one night had to get 28 staples to put the old scalp back together. I have every motel card never really help much. When I'm ready to stop for the day I just ride through a town and check out 2 or 3 places. PR2s got me from IL to Alaska home then down to Bradenton and home 14,000 miles and still have another 1000 on them I figure. Make sure you hit Hyder and the Cassier's one way and Alaskan HWY and Ice Field Parkway the other way. Do the Top of the World HWY and Chicken. I usaully stop stop in TOK on the way in and out. Roy's Motel is $100 one of the best deals you will find and Fast Eddie's one of the best places in the state to eat. I stayed at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks do a little research make reservations then keep in touch with them and change them as needed about $43 for two. Super 8 was like $140. Some places have sleeping rooms which means the bathroom is somewhere else across parking lot or down the hall, paid $100 one night for a decent one, $80 another time for a stinky shithole. If you want a thrill do the Whittier Tunnel. Try to avoid staying in Jasper or Baniff $$$, Hinton to the north is good. South of Baniff, Canmore, is road 541 they call it Kananaskis Parkway you won't be sorry if you take this road. PM me if you go and need some more info. I may go again this year too.