RIding with a passenger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best place to show her all the cool gear she can buy??

She LOVES that damn Harley store.

Also any pics or videos of 2 up riding you guys know of?

I have had 2 FJR's and a C10 Connie with my GF. We have done multiple 17 day trips, plenty of weekend 1000 milers and plenty of 300 to 400 days.

What I would add to make her comfortable at a minimum as follows

Givi trunk to act as a backrest. Don't worry about some kind of soft backing. The one in her jacket will take care of that.

Picked up some replacement pegs / floor boards. at the forum here. To MeAsWe (My GF)that was a major improvement for getting on and off the bike and comfort while traveling. if you scroll down on this write up you will see the floorboards

Many have suggested a different seat. We have traveled somewhere around 60K on stock seats. I would give the stock seats a chance and if you really ache than invest in seats. Our typical days are from 300 to 400 miles, but we have done 700+ days, but not frequently. Too many places to stop and see, plus riding the back roads is not conducive to high mileage days.

Other than those things we are a bit of a minimalist when it comes to farkles, except for the GPS's :rolleyes:

We use Cardo Scala TeamSets for communication on the bike. Neither of us use music, but an mp3 player can plug into both head sets. I find this to be more than just a convenience, more a must safety device. Keeps you from turning around to grab her attention.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
My GF and I have been talking about a hobby we can do together. She had a Harley with her ex for a couple of years. Enjoys riding.
Where in GA do you live?

You guys sound a lot like me & my wife. When we were dating a few years back she had ridden her own HD for 7yrs & was used to only that style of bike. I came from riding cruisers as well. Long story short I got the FJR & she has a Ninja now. She rides up with me all the time.

She will need a backrest to feel comfy and I would imagine the rear trunk will take care of that. I wouldnt even mind one for myself. Can you ride with 2 people and have the rider backrest?

What else can I do to make it comfortable for her?
Yes you can ride 2up with rear trunk & full saddle bags. I'm 200lbs & she is 130lbs. We've done many 400-600 mile dayrides & several overnight trips with this ride setup. I have all stock suspension and a Shad Brand topcase which cost less than Givi.

I was similar to you, coming from riding cruisers for years I wanted to try the sport touring bike but I was not sold 100% on doing so. However I found a deal on a 2005 FJR with only 3,800 miles on it for about $7,000 and took a chance and bought it. I didn't want to go out and spent $15,000 on a new ST bike and then find out 6 months later that I hated it. But now that I have the FJR I realize that I really like it and my next bike will prob be the new 2013 model at some point. So it's smart to just get a good, lightly used ST for your first bike and then give it 6 months of riding to see how you like it.

Here is a picture of our 2up touring setup...

197681-1500px.jpg

----------------------------------------

Some people are just stuck in the Harley mindset and if that's all she's ever been exposed to and thats what all your friends ride it will be hard to convince her that this is not some uncomfortable "crotch rocket"...because it certainly is not. My only real suggestions for comfort are:

- Aftermarket seat - Looks like the bike you want already has a Corbin. You'll either love it or hate the Corbin. No real in between with that seat.(Custom Russell is the best but your talking $800-$900 for doing both your seat & her seat). I got the Sargent brand seat new off the internet for under $500 delivered and it is much, much better than stock & may be an option for you to consider.

- Taller touring windshield (Cee Baileys or California Scientific...etc)

- Shad Brand topcase for back support for her & additional storage.

NOTE A: No you do NOT need to go out and upgrade your suspension unless the bike your buying has high mileage & the shocks are shot.

NOTE B: If your already having issues in your relationship buying a motorcycle is no fix. Actually buying any material thing is irrelevant to having a good relationship. Just my 2 cents.

Hi Mark, I think The FJR is a good choice for you. The '07 your looking at looks like a reasonable deal to me at $7400 otd. 5300 mi. is still new. Check to see if recalls have been done. I don't know anything about the Muzzy exhaust but I do know suspension work will help to keep things from dragging. IMHO you will need at minimum heavier fork springs and a new shock. Guys on this forum seem to like GP suspension. I used Traxxion Dynamics in Woodstock, GA. They're sorta in your neck of the woods and are top notch. Lee is expert in FJR suspension.

Your situation reminds me of the old saying, "If it's got tits or tires it's gonna give ya trouble." There's something to be said for a low maintenance device, mechanical or female.

Here is two bikes that were two up, the black '08 AE and mine the red '06A near the start of the Burr Trail in Utah this September.

IMG_4784_zps230967ba.jpg

The '08 AE taken by my wife as we are riding the Burr Trail

028.jpg

112.jpg

201.jpg

207.jpg

Here is Alaska June 2011

1084IMG_2807a.jpg

1080BCTrip053011_0186a.jpg

073.jpg

This should give you some different views of the bike and some of the possibilities. I am 6'-2", 225 lbs, my wife is 5'-2" 130lbs. The bike works great for us. It also works great by myself too.

A most excellent thread <<READ ME NOW>> Regardless of what motorcycle you and you current squeeze decide to ride on.

Come to Columbus. We have the Iron Pony's store here in town.

At least guide her towards their FXRG line of gear.

The wife and I in Quebec during CFR 2010. Thanks to yamafitter for the picture.

DSC_0058.jpg

The wife and I on Tail of the Dragon during NAFO 2010. Thanks to KillBoy for this one.

Dragon1.jpg

And ... yamafitter following the wife and I along the Cherohala during NAFO 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ord7591a0Zo

Great info guys and I really appreciate the input.

Most of the gear I see you wearing seems like its for cool weather and from what I gather protection in case of a fall. What do you do when it's 90 plus degrees here in the south? The Harley guys seem to just have jeans and a t shirt and maybe some boots.

My GF and I have been talking about a hobby we can do together. She had a Harley with her ex for a couple of years. Enjoys riding.
Where in GA do you live?

You guys sound a lot like me & my wife. When we were dating a few years back she had ridden her own HD for 7yrs & was used to only that style of bike. I came from riding cruisers as well. Long story short I got the FJR & she has a Ninja now. She rides up with me all the time.

She will need a backrest to feel comfy and I would imagine the rear trunk will take care of that. I wouldnt even mind one for myself. Can you ride with 2 people and have the rider backrest?

What else can I do to make it comfortable for her?
Yes you can ride 2up with rear trunk & full saddle bags. I'm 200lbs & she is 130lbs. We've done many 400-600 mile dayrides & several overnight trips with this ride setup. I have all stock suspension and a Shad Brand topcase which cost less than Givi.

I was similar to you, coming from riding cruisers for years I wanted to try the sport touring bike but I was not sold 100% on doing so. However I found a deal on a 2005 FJR with only 3,800 miles on it for about $7,000 and took a chance and bought it. I didn't want to go out and spent $15,000 on a new ST bike and then find out 6 months later that I hated it. But now that I have the FJR I realize that I really like it and my next bike will prob be the new 2013 model at some point. So it's smart to just get a good, lightly used ST for your first bike and then give it 6 months of riding to see how you like it.

Here is a picture of our 2up touring setup...

197681-1500px.jpg

----------------------------------------

Some people are just stuck in the Harley mindset and if that's all she's ever been exposed to and thats what all your friends ride it will be hard to convince her that this is not some uncomfortable "crotch rocket"...because it certainly is not. My only real suggestions for comfort are:

- Aftermarket seat - Looks like the bike you want already has a Corbin. You'll either love it or hate the Corbin. No real in between with that seat.(Custom Russell is the best but your talking $800-$900 for doing both your seat & her seat). I got the Sargent brand seat new off the internet for under $500 delivered and it is much, much better than stock & may be an option for you to consider.

- Taller touring windshield (Cee Baileys or California Scientific...etc)

- Shad Brand topcase for back support for her & additional storage.

NOTE A: No you do NOT need to go out and upgrade your suspension unless the bike your buying has high mileage & the shocks are shot.

NOTE B: If your already having issues in your relationship buying a motorcycle is no fix. Actually buying any material thing is irrelevant to having a good relationship. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like we have had the same thought process.

Local dealer has a leftover 12 and I think I need to go let her touch n feel and sit on one. That along with all this great information will make my job selling it to her a lot easier.

Note B....your right it's not a fix. It's just part of the overall plan to help create great memories for both of us.

Olympia AirGlide 3 Mesh gear...recommended to me by a South Carolinian. I combine that with heated gear and I am good to go from the 20s on up to the 90s...

Great info guys and I really appreciate the input.

Most of the gear I see you wearing seems like its for cool weather and from what I gather protection in case of a fall. What do you do when it's 90 plus degrees here in the south? The Harley guys seem to just have jeans and a t shirt and maybe some boots.
Mesh gear. Air flows right through it. I live in the Florida panhandle, ride every day. I have to bundle up under my gear when it cools off. Sitting in the sun in stop-n-go traffic is no fun, but under way it's not an issue. But take it from one who's seen it happen: you do NOT want to spend months in a burn center getting skin grafts for road rash!

As for backrests, if she needs one, the top case will serve. As stated before, don't add the pad to it. The backrest in her riding jack will serve as the pad, and the pad would take space that would be more usefully occupied by bones and stuff.

The rider won't need a backrest. Coming from Harleys you're used to having your feet way out front. The FJR is closer to sportbike, but still upright. Your feet are under you, not behind you like a race bike. You lean forward, but you're not anywhere near hugging the tank like on a CBR or something. The correct riding posture makes a backrest meaningless.

This all great stuff guys and I'm excited.

Unfortunatly after about an hour of conversation she shows NO interest. Says she "doesn't like how they sound". Or the gear to wear or that we will just look like a crotch rocket and it won't be as much fun as a Harley and riding around turns scares her anyway. Etc etc etc etc

Does that song "shot down in flames" come to mind?

While I don't hate the thought of a street glide I really don't want to drop 15-20k on one and then find out she just wants to ride 100 miles a month. I truthfully think she just likes the clothes and the chrome more than the ride.

I tried Mt Biking, she didn't like the roots in the trials, I road cycle 10-20 miles 3-5 times a week and I got her a bike and tried that but the cars scared her, tennis didn't work, running hurt the knees.........maybe backgammon?!?

Unfortunatly after about an hour of conversation she shows NO interest. Says she "doesn't like how they sound". Or the gear to wear or that we will just look like a crotch rocket and it won't be as much fun as a Harley and riding around turns scares her anyway. Etc etc etc etc

While I don't hate the thought of a street glide I really don't want to drop 15-20k on one and then find out she just wants to ride 100 miles a month. I truthfully think she just likes the clothes and the chrome more than the ride.

I tried Mt Biking, she didn't like the roots in the trials, I road cycle 10-20 miles 3-5 times a week and I got her a bike and tried that but the cars scared her, tennis didn't work, running hurt the knees.........maybe backgammon?!?
Buy the FJR and go riding, alone.

After she sees how much fun you're having with your "new friends" she'll change her tune.

Wow, I'm reminded more of the Huey Lewis song "Trouble in Paradise". What does SHE like to do?

... she just likes the clothes and the chrome more than the ride....
Ah, a poser! The fact that she doesn't see the difference between this and a crotch rocket, nor expresses the interest to learn the difference, emphasises the point.

If you want the bike get the bike you want. If you settle for something in the hope that she'll show interest, you'll all three (you, her, bike) be disappointed.

And yeah, Harleys are stupid money.... I've never for the life of me understood that kind of money for that kind of..... thing.

I think you need to post up her pic. Maybe in a swimsuit or really tight leather.

Should help clear up which direction you should go.

We're here to help. :thumbsup: