RIP my friend. Another tragic loss.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

networkguy

Reaction score
A co-worker and good friend of mine passed on Thursday in a bike accident. He leaves behind two beautiful daughters. He was always positive, joking, and could lift your spirits. Please keep Mike's family in your prayers.

And no, he did not follow the ATGATT rule. It is unclear whether or not it would have saved him, but it pains me to know Ive talked about this to him many times. I do know he was a safe rider, and other than no gear, he rode very defensively. Such a loss.

The story is HERE.

Sorry to hear of your friend's passing.

Just read the story. Can't understand how the SUV driver didn't/couldn't see him or simply misjudged the motorcycle's speed.

A tragic loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sorry to read about your friend, this kind of thing is always a tragedy for family and friends. You have to wonder if a helmet would have helped.

When I looked at the article the first thing that I noticed shocked me, I know that intersection and immediately knew where the accident happened. While that section of road is flat and straight, it is also quite open with little frame of reference for speed/time or seeing small objects. At this time of year there can be wicked heat shimmer coming off the road. There are traffic conditions in that area where entering the Care Free Highway from a side street a person has to focus on crossing 3-4 lanes of traffic that is moving between 60 and 80 mph and they loose track of the traffic in one or more lanes.

Sorry to read about your friend's passing. So very sad for all who knew and loved him.

According to the news article, this was yet another example of what I recall reading about back in 1980: THE classic Hurt Report accident scenario -- left turns in front of a motorcycle that the cager doesn't see are the number one threat to motorcyclists. ANY TIME you see a cager about to make a left turn, please BE WARY and set up for the potential need for avoidance maneuvers!!!

I saw this on the noon news the other day (I get Phx as my locals up here in kingman) I always wonder if it's one of the few guys I know down there. Sorry to hear it was a friend of yours. RIP

Sorry for your loss. :(

I drive in and around phoenix/LA every week and see the behavior of drivers getting worse. Everything from the unacceptable " I didn't see him" to extreme road rage.

I dont ride much anymore, except for trips out of town.

Very sorry to read about your friend, this kind of thing is always a tragedy for family and friends. You have to wonder if a helmet would have helped.
When I looked at the article the first thing that I noticed shocked me, I know that intersection and immediately knew where the accident happened. While that section of road is flat and straight, it is also quite open with little frame of reference for speed/time or seeing small objects. At this time of year there can be wicked heat shimmer coming off the road. There are traffic conditions in that area where entering the Care Free Highway from a side street a person has to focus on crossing 3-4 lanes of traffic that is moving between 60 and 80 mph and they loose track of the traffic in one or more lanes.
Yeah Ive ridden this route many times and I can tell you visibility is VERY far. Theres alot of things unknown here, but the two things I know that werent a factor is 1. Mike wasnt speeding, and 2. Mike wasnt under the influence.

Thanks all for your condolences. Its pretty somber here at work this morning.

After all these years of riding and knowing a few who have fallen to the "I just didn't seem him/her" car driver! I used to work with a fellow who had been an insurance adjuster, his experience with car/motorcycle accidents was always the same, the car driver just didn't see the motorcycle? Years ago the m/c headlight had to be turned on by the rider, and of course today most if not all motorcyles headlights are on all the time. I drive both types of vehicles and even though I ride a bike often there are times when either through tiredness or inattentiveness I have been surprised by 1 or 2 m/c's while driving my car? Sometimes the motorcyclist is moving very fast and judging their approaching speed can be tricky? I'm not trying to justify here but because I ride a bike and many car drivers never have I can through my own experience see how it is possible! When I'm on my bike I always use my high beam which I know sometimes bothers other motorists. At least when they flash their high's to me I know they have seen me and that's the response I want. I very seldom ride at night and of course use my low beam in those instances. This is in no way to besmirch the rider who lost his life in this particular incident I guess it's my way of saying I'm so sorry and hope anyone who may read this may learn something from my nearly 50 years of motorcycling!

I am truly sorry to hear about your loss. We have had several auto/motorcycle accidents in this area recently and all were left turn incidents. The auto making a left turn in front of the motorcycle. In one of the incidents the elderly pickup driver was killed when the motorcyclist went through his windshield. This was a tragedy for both families. I don't currently know the condition of the rider, he was listed in critical condition at the time of the accident..

The fact so many fatalities are the result of left turns should make us more cautious when approaching a potential left turning vehicle. I know I sure am.

Sorry to read about your friend's passing. So very sad for all who knew and loved him.
According to the news article, this was yet another example of what I recall reading about back in 1980: THE classic Hurt Report accident scenario -- left turns in front of a motorcycle that the cager doesn't see are the number one threat to motorcyclists. ANY TIME you see a cager about to make a left turn, please BE WARY and set up for the potential need for avoidance maneuvers!!!
+1, This seems to be a very repetitive scenario related to motorcyclist deaths, as others have said we need to be vigilant when coming upon this specific situation. Many here have related the means which we can mitigate this.

Thanks for sharing, and our prayers are with your friend and his family.

BTW, I've also driven that stretch of road many times.

My condolences on the loss of your friend. I work part time for a Harley dealership and everytime our local news broadcasts something like this I always have to stop and listen for the names. I've lost several customers whom I've considered friends. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and the family.

Condolences. The original (Harry) Hurt Report from the 1980s found that the most bike wrecks were from people turning left in front of riders. Apparently that hasn't changed.