Road Side Assistance Poll and Comments

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for starting this thread,I am considering changing my road sie carrier. IU currently have AMA-mo-to. Yhe only problem is they only cover the first 35 miles than you pay the per mileage fee where ever is the nearest shop.

I you are in the middle of Nevada or Wyoming and 250 milews from the nearest town or shop could get pretty spendy for that tow. I have not had to use it yet. Where I live in Ca. they use AAA

znd who ever contracts to them.

Look at MTS and it covers the first $200.00 dollars than it is on you

Do you have to be a member of aarp to get GoodSam?

\

weekend rider

Do you have to be a member of aarp to get GoodSam?
I think anyone can sign up for Good Sam RV Roadside Assistance at www.goodsamers.com

I don't believe that you have to be in AARP to join -- I'm not certain, as I don't have any RA today (but I will soon)

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read it lately, but I think the Yamaha YES policy will cover towing to a Yammy Dealer and might even cover a motel overnight.
I think you are correct...have to find the policy tonight
Y.E.S. covers "reasonable expenses" to include towing, if and only if the service needed is covered by the provisions of Y.E.S. so -- the answer above is kind of correct. If you break down due to something that would be covered by Y.E.S., reasonable towing is covered.

If you have a flat tire -- i don't think Y.E.S. will cover the towing.

The only time I've ever used AAA RV+ they couldn't help much. Had a flat. They didn't have anybody available that could repair it or tow a motorcycle and this was in metro Atlanta. They did send somebody with air but the tire was too damaged to hold any well enough to ride. That could be a problem for any of them in any particular location. But even if all you get is ride back to civilization, I guess that's worth something. The ones that are motorcycle oriented may be better at least in terms of being able to handle hauling a disabled motorcycle. But there's no magic, that kind of service just isn't easily available in most places.

AMA Motow says service in all 50 states plus but if the provider is in Kansas City and you're in Dodge City, you could be waiting a looooong time for help.

HSTA also has a very large membership directory and they don't care what brand you ride. HSTA

I've used AMA Motow twice on an old bike and they are great. One time a full flat bed arrived with a Condor rolling wheel support. The second time someone showed up with a trailer on a station wagon. It was adequate for the task, but I'd prefer the flat bed for the FJR.

I've got AMA Mo tow when I'm south & CAA Plus up here in the Great White North....the CAA Plus does cover your motorcycle as well as any other vehicle (ie....RV's, trucks, cars, etc) :good: .....

I too have CAA plus and thought it was covered by AAA in the States. Used it once with a flat here in Ontario and it was great. Came with a flat bed and the driver was rider too, he had an R1 not some HOG type. Good experience all round.

I can verify that YES only covers towing for a mechanical problem related to the FJR. My battery died and left me stranded at work and I found this out while talking to two Yammi dealers. While I was talking to them I asked about flats as well and they said no, only for something mechanical that would have been fixed under YES.

Just signed up for Geico roadside assistance. Costs a whopping $24 a year. Covers nationwide towing up to 75 miles, gas, tires, jump start. They will provide the tow truck or I can call my own and they'll reimburse up to $75.

Its time to re new my towing coverage. I'm wondering what the current best deals are for a towing package. I have AMA mo Tow now, never needed to use it, but am thinking that the 35 mile limit they have may not be the best bang for my buck. Anyone have any current info on this topic?

I had AAA and a similar experience to the one noted above. The truck was not equipped to tow bikes to my satisfaction, and they wanted me to pay them and then get reimbursed by AAA. I only was reimbursed for part of the tow as it was over the "acceptable limit" ( added fee for evening tow) I went this year to MOTOW after hearing good things ( I do not pay they do and the towing companies have to have the ability to tow bikes in an acceptable manner)

I had AAA and a similar experience to the one noted above. The truck was not equipped to tow bikes to my satisfaction, and they wanted me to pay them and then get reimbursed by AAA. I only was reimbursed for part of the tow as it was over the "acceptable limit" ( added fee for evening tow) I went this year to MOTOW after hearing good things ( I do not pay they do and the towing companies have to have the ability to tow bikes in an acceptable manner)

AAA RV+ gives you 100 miles tow distance and you can demand a flatbed for towing. But I have yet to see a tow truck that has the right straps to secure a motorcycle with. I always carry 4 soft ties and 4 heavy duty (1-1/2" wide) motocycle ties down. That way I can four point tie it down and not be worried that they will cause more damage then the tow is worth.

AAA RV+ gives you 100 miles tow distance and you can demand a flatbed for towing. But I have yet to see a tow truck that has the right straps to secure a motorcycle with. I always carry 4 soft ties and 4 heavy duty (1-1/2" wide) motocycle ties down. That way I can four point tie it down and not be worried that they will cause more damage then the tow is worth.
That's what I have. So far I haven't had to use it... :) I might throw in some tie-downs as I've seen the flatbed haulers only had chains hooked to cars they were moving....

I have foremost insurance, which includes towing, and they always send someone with a tilt-bed truck who knows how to handle motorcycles and has the proper gear. I've used them four times, once after a collision, and have no complaints with the tow truck people.

But on my last experience, which was just last week, Foremost was going to strand me overnight in a town 70 miles from home rather than give me a tow home. I paid it myself, and my agent is looking into it now.

I learned from the tow truck operator that all these tow services are provided by one nationwide contractor, who is hired by the insurance companies and then contracts with local tow companies all around the country. They don't do AAA, however. AAA does its own contracting and dispatching. I have AAA premium level coverage as well, but their operators have told me they don't know how to load a motorcycle -- strictly cars and RV's.

Another one that doesn't use the nationwide contractor is State Farm, the tow guy said. They use local agents who know the local operators. So if you break down in Cornpone County, you call your agent back home who then calls his counterpart where you are and finds a good tow company. I don't know what state farm's tow coverage is, however. My only experience with State Farm was when I got married and they cancelled my wife's insurance because they found out she was hanging out with me.

I haven't seen anyone mention this in a while. I also am member of AARP Auto Club. Few things I like:

1. Cheaper than AAA & Insurance Road coverage
  2. Covers ANY vehicle you drive, even one you borrow or as passenger!
  3. Able to add coverage for dependent for $5 year, if I recall
  4. Also has trip maps, trip planning, motel/hotel discounts
  5. Signed up when I had trial membership with AARP; cancelled AARP and keep renewing autoclub
  6. aarpmotoring.com (aka GE Motor Club)

Both the wife and I are members of AAA Platinum Oklahoma. Basically what that is is a super premium AAA membership with unlimited tows and unlimited miles for any type of vehicle. Also has trip interruption and hotel reimbursement insurance with that as well. It is in the shadow of US$175.00 a year and worth every penny of it.

Here you go, going to "spin a Golden Oldie" back into life.

Anyone have anything to say about this now.

Good Sam Platinum RV

Anyone have anything to add to the Poll or any one service over the other?

I've heard from several recently that Allstate's towing service is the way to go. I have heard bad stories about AAA depending on your location.

Fortunately, I have never had to be towed in 330,000 mile of FJR ownership. I do have towing on my Progressive insurance policy but I have no idea how good it is.

In the past while traveling with the g/f and problems with her bike, we used AAA once, and BMW's roadside assistance once. Both were positive experiences.