Road Suggestions to Tellico?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianNKY

Reaction score
Hey guys...

Not sure where to put this one so we'll start with here. :)

Going to be heading down to the Tellico Plains area from the Lexington area in a couple weeks with a varied group of riders and looking for road suggestions. The group skill will range from peg scrapers to 7 month new riders on Ninja250's including some cruiser types.

So I guess it comes down to would like to eliminate most of the slab and hit some roads that don't divert to drastically from the general direction we need to travel but still allow us some near speed limit decent riding. Gah, what a mouthful.

Twisties are fine so long as we don't have to do 15 over to enjoy them. Scenic, photo spots or whatever else is fine also.

Just want to get down there relatively quick but still have a decent ride down if ya know what I mean. I'm looking at the roads and routes now but I'm not familiar with the south of the Lexington area, TN, or NC roads to Tellico.

Any suggestions? Any good lunch stops on the way?

Appreciate it.

I guess if it were me I would head south towards Somerset KY, and into TN on Hwy 27 through Oneida, Sunbright, Wartburg, Harriman, then 70 to 11, to Athens TN, take 39 out of Athens over to Tellico. From there it's the Cherahola (165) into NC, over to Robbinsville then up to Deals gap on 129 to 411 south to Madisonville then 68 back to Tellico. Lots of bikers in Tellico to steer you towards more good roads over there.

Or to make it easier....take 27 all the way to Dayton, TN and then take 30 to Athens and 39 to Tellico.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Or to make it easier....take 27 all the way to Dayton, TN and then take 30 to Athens and 39 to Tellico.
I've been this way before, although we were coming from the west and took 30 through Pikeville into Dayton. Fun ride, I'd recommend it.

In Tellico Plains the place to stay is Hunt's Lodge motorcycle campground: Hunt's Lodge

Cabins are available and you are in the middle of some of the best riding the east has to offer.

If you stay at Hunt's Lodge tell'em dougc sent you.

dougc

Be sure to stop by Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters and say hi to Mike. He's a great guy and has a good stock of riding apparel and misc. gear. I found his shop by accident visiting there last year and bought a pair of Olympia riding pants. Don't be afraid to ask for a discount.

https://skur.net/tellico/home.html

Hey Adrian,

If you guys decide to take 27 down here, turn off onto hwy 68 right after you go through Spring City and it will take you right into Tellico. Enjoy the ride and I'll see you guys in a couple of weeks.

If you are looking for dinner by the time you get here, there is a good Italian restaurant in downtown Madisonville call "The Patio" right across from City Hall in the middle of town, (right off of hwy411) pretty easy to find.

Bill

DDGturnfrom27.gif

Awesome tips. I will also be in the vicinity in a few weeks, so I'm taking notes too.