Roadsmart II Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at my dealer (BMW) yesterday, dropping my bike off for service. They have RS2's in stock. The guy told me that is what the law enforcement bikes run here in Hampton Roads.

Roadsmart Defect? My buddy and I stopped in Ellicottville NY on our way back from EOM and he noticed this dark spot in the center of his front tire. On closer examination is was a large depression, about the size of the pad on your thumb right down to the cord?! Could this be caused by hitting something, or is this some kind of tire defect the likes of which I've never seen before? The day before his rear tire was stripped to the cords after 10,000 miles and we lost a half a day getting a new tire in Waynesboro VA. Roadsmarts didn't do well on this trip.

RoadsmartDefect_zpsb1c44760.jpg

Looks like a rubber defect, but... Why is that tire dry rotted? (look in the tread groove of the close up picture) Is that really a Roadsmart II? I didn't think they had been out long enough for one to be dry rotted.

edit - It has been well documented that the front Roadsmart 1's were garbage. Rears were quite good when paired up with a good front tire of some other model/brand. But by now they would be ancient.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a rubber defect, but... Why is that tire dry rotted? (look in the tread groove of the close up picture) Is that really a Roadsmart II? I didn't think they had been out long enough for one to be dry rotted.
Good catch, Fred. This is the RoadSmart II on the front of my ZRX. I think the one above is an original RoadSmart.

IMG_0131_zpsf091b3ef.jpg

edit - It has been well documented that the front Roadsmart 1's were garbage. Rears were quite good when paired up with a good front tire of some other model/brand. But by now they would be ancient.
My friend says he put the tires on in 2011 (summer) and that they are Dunlop Roadsmart Sportmax. I'm inclined to agree that void in the rubber is a defect.

He may have put them on in 2011, but they could have been made years before. That dry rot is of some concern.

But either way, he shouldn't 't have to worry about getting any more bad Roadsmart 1's as I believe that they don't make them any more.

They could make a $40 tire that lasts 50,000 miles, sticks like a slick, handles like a dream and sheds water better than a ducks back and I still won't by them, because fuck Dunlop.

But I'm not bitter.