Rode An ST1300 Today!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are coming from a Wing then the ST is for you.
I have to disagree with this statement, I came from a GL1800 Goldwing (still in the garage in fact) and I went right to the FJR with only a quick glance at the ST1300. Looks, performance and size were major deciding factors. This bike is an absolute blast to ride. :D

Been there, didn't buy that...

After riding a FJR a few days before, I rolled back into the Honda dealer from test riding the ST1300.

The sales guy had this big grin on his face, "Well, how did you like it? She's a real beast isn't she?"

I also had quite a smirk going because I knew my shopping was finally over..."Yes, she is a wonderful beast and I think she just sold me an FJR1300!"

I felt a little bad for the guy as I was hauling ass back to Snake River Yamaha to do the PPD thing before they closed.

-r

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Joe,

I test rode both bikes before I bought. Your best bet is to get a ride on an FJR before you decide.

Like you said, curb appeal of the FJR kicks ass over the ST. The ST is in fact an ugly machine...like an overly huge scooter. Yuk!

On the other hand it is a nicely engineered and manufactured bike, built for leisurely efficient sport touring. I found it boring. Try blipping the throttle of each bike. The FJR will growl with some authority, the ST will just whine a little more.

Others have desribed the difference like this:

ST= sportTOURING

FJR=SPORTtouring

It just all depends on your needs and desires. But try hard to ride an FJR before you make a decision you may regret!

So here is the question:  At 6'2" tall I felt fine on the ST......any FJR riders out there with long legs that are comfortable with the FJR's leg room.
Oh yeah, Bottom line is:  I just think the FJR has better curb appeal, a prettier bike! 

Let me know...Thanks    MJ
I'm 6' 2" and I have no problem with legroom on FJR. And that includes when I pack the ol lady which is most of the time.

I am 6'2' with 35" inseam. No problems at all with leg room. This was one of the major characteristics that drew me to this bike. I tried several BMWs and Japanese bikes but just didn't fit well. Knees always hit the fairing. This bike has plenty of room. I love my FJR. Just got back from a nice moring ride in the CO. rockies and it was great. :agent:

I'm a 6'3" rider, and with the addition of a Russell Day-Long Saddle, I fit the FJR very well. Also tried out the ST1300, which, while a cut above my old ST1100 does not rise to the level of the FJR for the Sport in Sport-Touring...What sold me on the FJR is less weight/more power. It takes a little adaptation to transfer from a V-4 powerband to the I-4, mainly just a lower gear and using more RPM's in similar riding situations.

On the Touring aspects of the FJR, with only.8 gallons less in the tank I easily go 200+ miles between stops; I have a top box and saddlebags on both bikes, a tail and tank bag, I can camp or travel for a couple of weeks if need be. As I seldom ride 2-up, I haven't experienced riding double on either bike.

still have the ST1100, but she is sitting these days, while the FJR gets all the miles and smiles...

Hi Joe,
I test rode both bikes before I bought. Your best bet is to get a ride on an FJR before you decide.

Like you said, curb appeal of the FJR kicks ass over the ST. The ST is in fact an ugly machine...like an overly huge scooter. Yuk!

On the other hand it is a nicely engineered and manufactured bike, built for leisurely efficient sport touring. I found it boring. Try blipping the throttle of each bike. The FJR will growl with some authority, the ST will just whine a little more.

Others have desribed the difference like this:

ST= sportTOURING

FJR=SPORTtouring

It just all depends on your needs and desires. But try hard to ride an FJR before you make a decision you may regret!
Jetmaker,

Advice well taken bro! I will ride an FJR and then make my choice!!!!!!!!

I'll keep you all posted!

Thanks for the responses, MJ

Every comparison I have ever read or heard about the ST vs. the FJR, the FJR always came out on top. A typical FJR review read, "much better sport bike, yet a very capable touring bike in one package". The ST review is usually, "not very sporty and just an OK tourer, basically YAAAAWWWWNNN"! My personal experience backs both those reviews up. Go with the FJR, you will not be disappointed! B)

I rode behind an ST today for 40 grueling miles on one of the best SoCal roads. Oh, the pain! Even Harleys were passing us! (I was sweep on our club ride and had no choice but to sit back and puke all over my visor looking at the butt ugly rear end of the ST...)

had no choice but to sit back and puke all over my visor looking at the butt ugly rear end of the ST...)
It is ugly isn't it? The back end looks like it got left in the sun too long and kinda melted.

My wife was with me on my second set of test rides. She looked at me as I was siting on the ST and said "you look like an old man on that thing". But she gets all excited when she sees me on the FJR ;)

Few years ago I tried the ST 1300 for kicks. It is one SMOOOOTH machine but has the personality of a door knob. …And looks erector-set ugly with the bags off! The quality is no doubt better than the FJR as is typical of Honda products but I couldn’t get past the moped on steroids look. Other things I didn’t like about the ST1300 during test ride: roll-ons suck…where’s the power?, digital dash reading on right side instrumentation was completely useless…couldn’t see from the sun glare, seating position way too upright, boring, too heavy, where‘s the sport in touring? That being said…the ST1300 is an excellent bike if you can get past a few of its short comings, the wind protection is better out of the box, it is a better 2-up bike, smooth as hell and will…IMHO outlast the FJR in life span, Honda quality/reliability. No need to comment on the FJR, it beats the ST in almost all categories.

I seem to be answering this question on both forums. I came from an 1500 Goldwing and to me the ST seems very quick and nimble. The FJR even more so. They both make me enjoy even riding in town after the 1500 which just yearns for the open highway. Most of my riding is in a straight line (I live in Iowa) and I'm not real agressive in the curves, so the ST fits me fine.

It is funny that on the ST list, you will get just the opposite response to Mighty Joe's question. You need to drive both and see which seems the most appealing to you.

Also keep in mind that when comparing apples to apples, you have to include the YES warranty in the price of the FJR as it comes with a 1 year and the ST comes with a 3 year.

I have also noticed that as we ride, I can stop much faster with my non-abs ST than my wife can with her ABS FJR. I don't know if is rider experience, but I think the ST has great brakes.

OTOH, I do love the FJR motor.

Tom

I'll give another perspective on this! I come from a '04 R1 (which I still have and love) to the FJR. I roadraced for close to 10 yrs. and all I owned were sportbikes for 20 yrs.! So coming from those to the FJR was night & day! I bought it so my girlfriend and I could go riding, not that she wouldn't ride the R1, but I felt sorry for her all perched up there! lol Anyways, I got this deal on the FJR and bought it. At first thought it was big and heavy, but thought "OK, it's just for me and her" and I could live with that. After all the R1's for me only now. Well, we took it to WNC and did the Gap, The Cherahala, and all the other roads up there after only owning it for 3 days. After getting used to it, I found myself dragging pegs and having a great time on it. Now I find myself riding it to work instead of the R1. Very comfortable! To me it's got great wind protection, gobbs of torque, and best of all no chain maintence! lol You guys that complain about lack of wind protection need to ride a sportbike for a while! lol I've never ridden an ST, so I can't comment, but a friend of mine had one for just a short while and said it had no soul and got rid of it for a CBR 954, now he wants my FJR! lol

it had no soul
I kinda know what he means, but I have to disagree. The first time I rode an ST was after riding the FJR. I took a test drive around town. I seemed extremely smooth, but lacked character. Later I decided to get rid of my 1500 GW and ended up with an ST. I now really enjoy it. It is extremely smooth, but has great acceleration. I don't feel any vibration and the wind protection is better than the FJR. When it is really hot, I would rather have more air flow like the FJR, but when it is cooler, I like the ST better. I'm more comfortable with the ST. I often forget to shift into 5th gear and 20 miles down the road I'll notice the tach is running too high, so I shift. I would never have that problem with the FJR. I'm always looking for another gear when shifting.

As many have said, the ST is more refined touring and the FJR is more sporty. I really like both bikes and if the FJR gets another gear or makes some other changes, I may get one next time.... or maybe a new ST, or GW, or whatever. There are so many great bikes out there.

Tom

I rode behind an ST today for 40 grueling miles on one of the best SoCal roads. Oh, the pain! Even Harleys were passing us! (I was sweep on our club ride and had no choice but to sit back and puke all over my visor looking at the butt ugly rear end of the ST...)
Sounds like you need a new club.....one made up of FJR guys! B)

I seem to be answering this question on both forums. I came from an 1500 Goldwing and to me the ST seems very quick and nimble. The FJR even more so. They both make me enjoy even riding in town after the 1500 which just yearns for the open highway. Most of my riding is in a straight line (I live in Iowa) and I'm not real agressive in the curves, so the ST fits me fine.
It is funny that on the ST list, you will get just the opposite response to Mighty Joe's question. You need to drive both and see which seems the most appealing to you.

Also keep in mind that when comparing apples to apples, you have to include the YES warranty in the price of the FJR as it comes with a 1 year and the ST comes with a 3 year.

I have also noticed that as we ride, I can stop much faster with my non-abs ST than my wife can with her ABS FJR. I don't know if is rider experience, but I think the ST has great brakes.

OTOH, I do love the FJR motor.

Tom
In Canada the FJR goes with a 3 year warranty included in the price.....New for 05 they told me.

If I were going to make a lot of long trips I would choose the Honda. For EVERYTHING else the Yammie is superior. Much better commuter, much faster and better handling. Also the smile I get from the sportbike youngsters equating a set of bags with me being slow lasts all day.

I rode behind an ST today for 40 grueling miles on one of the best SoCal roads.  Oh, the pain!  Even Harleys were passing us!  (I was sweep on our club ride and had no choice but to sit back and puke all over my visor looking at the butt ugly rear end of the ST...)
Sounds like you need a new club.....one made up of FJR guys! B)
Out of the thirty or so members there are, perhaps, ten or so Feejers in the group. The ride i described had six out of the twenty or so bikes.

I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and the FJR fits great. I haven't ridden an ST, but have owned my FJR for almost 2 years and am thoroughly addicted to its engine.

I just returned from a 5 day, 1700 mi trip through the Rockies and the comfort was just fine. I've heard good things about the ST's long-distance comfort, but you'll have a hard time getting over the FJR's power and quickness.

Get a test ride before you make a decision. The longer I own this bike the more I like it--for both short- and long-distance rides. ;)