Rotella not good?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR30FAN

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have read many posts that allude to Rotella oil as a good oil to use. Today at the dealership the parts guy said Rotella was not a good oil to use on our motorcycles and I should steer away from using it. Has anyone heard that before? He said it was a diesel engine oil not to be used in motorcycles and I should look at Motul, Amsoil, or yamaha oil...hmmm, as far as I know Rotella is fine.

I've used Rotella in my engine for years now. I will be here watching what folks say.

Yes, I've heard it many times when going to cyclegear or other motocycle shops. Needless to say, I'm still a happy Rotella user.

Rotella meets the specs Yammy requires. The shops don't sell it so they bad mouth it. They probably don't like many of us using Mobile 1 gear lube for the final drive either....

Thank

Rotella meets the specs Yammy requires. The shops don't sell it so they bad mouth it. They probably don't like many of us using Mobile 1 gear lube for the final drive either....
Thanks, I thought so but was thrown off by the remark. I've used it in my other motorcycles as well.

Oh good--it's even Friday. When Scooter ran an FJR 220,000+ miles (before he crashed it) and said he used Rotella, that was good enough empirical evidence for me. It's all I've used.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! You mean after 140,000'ish miles with mostly Rotella my engine is suddenly going to pop and strand me somewhere? The horror! The fact I just spent 20 hours one day recently exploring the nether regions of the tach and speedo and still don't seem to use a drop of oil between regular oil changes or that I'm still on my original clutch....makes me comfortable hanging with the other Sneetches on the Beech oiling our starred bellies.
wink.png

I just love a good oil thread! When it is so ridiculous that a reference to Dr. Seuss is appropriate, how could it get any better? Sneetches on the Beach with oil on their starred bellies, fantastic.

I am so scared of the Rotella that I am going to go drain all 2.5 gallons out of my truck and drive it without any oil!

I sure hope the OP got the answer to his question. At least he did not have to actually search for it...

Rotella T 15-40w meets the JASO industry specs so it is approved for use in all Japanese motorcycles. However, it is not approved by BMW and is the cause (according to BMW) for most of their final drive failures.

I have used Rotella many times, but for me, it does cause harder shifting. I do not use it anymore, but it is good oil.

I made the serious mistake of putting ro-tel in one of my bikes. I had to get a new bike and new bifocals.

OMG! You mean after 140,000'ish miles with mostly Rotella my engine is suddenly going to pop and strand me somewhere?
See, people have this idea. Some people think running a car tire will do the same thing. Truth is, only if you do BOTH will your bike pop and leave you stranded.

biggrin.png