Route a Course on PC, Then Upload to Iphone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rrarthur

Reaction score
I hope this is in the correct section for this post. I have been searching for some time and can't find a good answer.

I would like to create a route on my computer, then upload the ride to my IPhone for navigation. I have Bluetooth from my IPhone to my Helmet, so I don't really want to purchase a separate GPS. This should be able to be done with a PC and IPhone. So what does everyone use to create their route.

Google Maps, free and easy to use with Android phones!

Sorry, can't help, but just felt I had to jab an iPhone user.
help.gif

I use Tyre on the PC, then convert the file on the iPhone to be used with the Navigon app.

Here's a good discussion on the topic. Navigon is worth looking at also. https://www.fjrforum....phone-5-as-gps/

Thanks. I will have a look at Tyre. I have seen mention of Navigon before, I will take a closer look. I have tried again to create a map in google maps, but cant seem to create one successfully. My interface to google maps seems to be different from the example videos i am able to find.

As for the iphone, i'm partial to apple, but it does work well with my scala G9. I dont know if i will go apple once my contract is up.

I use Tyre on the PC, then convert the file on the iPhone to be used with the Navigon app.
Here's a good discussion on the topic. Navigon is worth looking at also. https://www.fjrforum....phone-5-as-gps/
Sorry, but the link doesn't work.

Also, there are a lot of reviews of Navigon from the last few months saying that it has started crashing quite a bit since Garmin took over Navigon. Can anyone report on the forum if they have had this issue running IOS7?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not tried yet but have heard co pilot app is excellent for importing routes. I don't believe the iPhone map app can navigate an imported custom route.

I use Tyre on the PC, then convert the file on the iPhone to be used with the Navigon app.Here's a good discussion on the topic. Navigon is worth looking at also. https://www.fjrforum....phone-5-as-gps/

Also, there are a lot of reviews of Navigon from the last few months saying that it has started crashing quite a bit since Garmin took over Navigon. Can anyone report on the forum if they have had this issue running IOS7?

Thanks

That thread is around page 19 here on Parts and Accessories. I personally haven't had any problems with Navigon crashing since I got the app last April.

I use Tyre on the PC, then convert the file on the iPhone to be used with the Navigon app.Here's a good discussion on the topic. Navigon is worth looking at also. https://www.fjrforum....phone-5-as-gps/

Thanks

That thread is around page 19 here on Parts and Accessories. I personally haven't had any problems with Navigon crashing since I got the app last April.
Edit- The thread is located on page 23, it's titled iPhone 5 as GPS?

I've not tried yet but have heard co pilot app is excellent for importing routes.
Yes, Co-Pilot can import multi-waypoint routes but is not ready for prime time. It will not let you skip a waypoint nor is it able to pick up a route at one of the mid waypoints. The only work around is to manually delete the unwanted waypoint(s) on your device - a PITA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but you're trying to pound in a screw with a socket.

Keep your phone in your pocket, and let it be a phone; get a Zumo or one of the more weather resistant Nuvis with bluetooth. BT.

Or at least, post the amusing results of trying to do it the hard way.

Dean great analogy, and I think you are right. I was kind of hoping not to have to mess with another item. In some cases when I ride I would like specific directions relayed via bluetooth so I don't miss items along my travels.

I like the IPhone for some plain old navigation to get me somewhere I am unfamiliar with. But if I am going to ride somewhere and wish to follow a specific route, I just can't get the IPhone to do that. I think I miss good parts of my ride, or what should take an hour sometimes takes a bit more. I work as a programmer and like the bike as a bit of a get away. If I need to program routes upload, convert..... I may just give up and just enjoy the ride. In Minnesota we're snow locked up here so it makes a good time to look at alternatives.

Well some people like to collect devices on the front of their bike like it was a pawn shop. I like having just an iphone. tunes, phone, map, speedometer, etc.
Which is why some of us use tools designed for the job. I have a Zumo 660 that does everything you mention. So instead of half-assing my navigation, music, or phone, I use a piece of equipment designed for my needs. I don't require cell service, and if I do something that breaks my GPS, my phone still works.

Using a phone on the bike's "dash" works in a pinch, but serious users need to spend a little money and get the proper equipment for the job.

I don't know what the OP's situation is, but I think I can be cheap on this one.

My wife has a Zummo 660 on her bike. Since we ride together nearly exclusively, it doesn't quite make sense for me to duplicate that piece of equipment. At least not when there are other farkles to buy.

If Navigon works OK, then as a backup device for the back up navigator, I think the iPhone could work.

Again, if Navigon works OK. The latest version seems to have many crash complaints in the App Store.

Well some people like to collect devices on the front of their bike like it was a pawn shop. I like having just an iphone. tunes, phone, map, speedometer, etc.
Which is why some of us use tools designed for the job. I have a Zumo 660 that does everything you mention. So instead of half-assing my navigation, music, or phone, I use a piece of equipment designed for my needs. I don't require cell service, and if I do something that breaks my GPS, my phone still works.
Using a phone on the bike's "dash" works in a pinch, but serious users need to spend a little money and get the proper equipment for the job.
It's certainly your choice if you want to spend $600 plus dollars on a Garmin Zumo. However, there are some that don't . Personally, I have found that using an iPhone with the Navigon app is workable for loading pre-programmed routes. I ride with a group that some have Garmin Zumos as well, and they are just as susceptible to having "issues" with pre-programmed routes as the rest of us. I don't believe it's necessary to denigrate anybody that chooses not to lay out $600 as "half-assing", or not being a "serious user".

It's certainly your choice if you want to spend $600 plus dollars on a Garmin Zumo. However, there are some that don't . Personally, I have found that using an iPhone with the Navigon app is workable for loading pre-programmed routes. I ride with a group that some have Garmin Zumos as well, and they are just as susceptible to having "issues" with pre-programmed routes as the rest of us. I don't believe it's necessary to denigrate anybody that chooses not to lay out $600 as "half-assing", or not being a "serious user".
Don't get your hemorrhoids in a bunch. I wasn't "denigrating" anyone. I was saying I choose not to half-ass what I do. Using your phone with a navigation app is "workable" which is saying its half-assed. I ride in all conditions. Sun, wind, HARD rain, snow, cold, warm, whatever. I have depended on my GPS more than once to route me through an unfamiliar city in a downpour. Do that with your iPhone, and you'll be out $600 anyways. Ask the IBR guys, the 'serious users' how many of them are depending on their phone for their navigation. I bet none of them is.

I have half-assed plenty of stuff that I knew I could get away with. I choose to not do that on my MC with my navigation. I also back up my GPS with hard maps. Without those, a GPS can be useless...but I won't go into it as I don't want to hurt any feelings.

Don't get your hemorrhoids in a bunch. I wasn't "denigrating" anyone. I was saying I choose not to half-ass what I do. Using your phone with a navigation app is "workable" which is saying its half-assed. I ride in all conditions. Sun, wind, HARD rain, snow, cold, warm, whatever. I have depended on my GPS more than once to route me through an unfamiliar city in a downpour. Do that with your iPhone, and you'll be out $600 anyways. Ask the IBR guys, the 'serious users' how many of them are depending on their phone for their navigation. I bet none of them is.

I have half-assed plenty of stuff that I knew I could get away with. I choose to not do that on my MC with my navigation. I also back up my GPS with hard maps. Without those, a GPS can be useless...but I won't go into it as I don't want to hurt any feelings.
Difference of opinion, whatever dude.