Rt 311 kicked my butt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if you need a lawyer? Was the road marked properly, was the speed limit proper, was there GRAVEL in the road the state failed to clean up? Any lawyers on board here that can give some advice?
I would think they have to ticket you so you will have a harder time going after the state. They say it's your fault and not thiers. Good luck with this!
Wow...your grandma sued McDonalds for selling hot coffee, didn't she?

Did you read the thread from the beginning?

He admitted entering a 20mph corner at 50mph, then admitted "hard parts" started dragging, and you're looking to find the state at fault?

Cheese Louise, that there folks is what's wrong with society today!

Thank God Jim, the OP, admitted his responsibility, instead of pussing out and trying to blame someone/something else for the incident, as the above post suggests he do.
Taking responsibility for one's action is one thing, having the state step in and punish you even more when the only one and thing injured is you constitutes piling on. It's worse than the Friday dogpiling that takes place around here. :p
You are 100% correct, but trying to allocate blame to a second party as suggested by Mr. Bill is total crap. Piling on by the LEO is one thing...abrogating responsibility through litigation as implied is a poor smokescreen.

I wonder if you need a lawyer?
Taking responsibility for one's action is one thing, having the state step in and punish you even more when the only one and thing injured is you constitutes piling on.
trying to allocate blame to a second party as suggested by Mr. Bill is total crap. Piling on by the LEO is one thing...abrogating responsibility through litigation as implied is a poor smokescreen.
Howie,

Bringing rich Grannie into this is not called for!

I don't think Jim should go to court without legal representation, especially if jail time or losing his license is a possiblitiy.

Lighten up Howie or we'll have to send you back to the farm!

I wonder if you need a lawyer?
Taking responsibility for one's action is one thing, having the state step in and punish you even more when the only one and thing injured is you constitutes piling on.
trying to allocate blame to a second party as suggested by Mr. Bill is total crap. Piling on by the LEO is one thing...abrogating responsibility through litigation as implied is a poor smokescreen.
Howie,

Bringing rich Grannie into this is not called for!

I don't think Jim should go to court without legal representation, especially if jail time or losing his license is a possiblitiy.

Lighten up Howie or we'll have to send you back to the farm!
I couldn't agree with you more that legal representation is prudent, assuming the actual charge warrants it. However, if it's something as simple as "failure to have vehicle under control" or "speed too fast for conditions", a license loss or jail time would NOT be in the cards.

My point was your suggestion to shift blame to the state for some imagined improper signage, unrealistic speed limit or gravel in the road AFTER the OP fessed up to his own actions. That just struck me as irresponsible, both in thought and advice.

I couldn't agree with you more that legal representation is prudent, assuming the actual charge warrants it. However, if it's something as simple as "failure to have vehicle under control" or "speed too fast for conditions", a license loss or jail time would NOT be in the cards.
My point was your suggestion to shift blame to the state for some imagined improper signage, unrealistic speed limit or gravel in the road AFTER the OP fessed up to his own actions. That just struck me as irresponsible, both in thought and advice.
Look at you...pulling out the big words and sounding all important.

Stop it.

Stop it.

Here....maybe THIS will help the humorless proles amongst the unwashed. :fuck:

Yep, a ticket of a particularly nasty nature - the kind where you show up in traffic court. Claimed he had no choice....? One vehicle, no one else injured, no property damage other than my own, no witnesses - I simply do not understand. Can you provide some insight? Would be much appreciated.

What is the charge on the ticket? And if you can post the citation to the statute on the ticket ( in other words what is the code provision that he claims you violated).

BTW, he didn't have to charge you, that is fully within his discretion. If he told you otherwise he is full of shit.

PM sent.

James, you caught me gone without a computer and I just now read where you went down. Glad you're doing better. If there's anything I can do to help with the bike, let me know.

Jim

James, you caught me gone without a computer and I just now read where you went down. Glad you're doing better. If there's anything I can do to help with the bike, let me know.Jim
Thanks Jim. I'm fine and the plan for the bike is slowing evolving. Ball is in State Farm's court for now.

"Gentlemen, the FJR is a siren. It will sing a song to you that you can ride it faster and faster, It will promise you that you can take THAT corner faster than you think. It will have you riding faster and will be whispering in your ear, 'Faster!'. The problem is that the FJR is not a 400 lb sportbike but rather a 650 lb. sport-tourer with less cornering ground clearance than a sportbike. If you ride this bike like a sportbike, eventually it will have you write a check you cannot cash."
I remember that speech very clearly - parking lot at WFO-2, Santa Rosa.

Glad you came out of it reasonably well Spklbuk

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Crap! A local epidemic is in the making. I was on my home from work today and about to turn off Rt 60 onto the little road that I live on when I come up on a motorcyclist down with his leg pinned under the bike. He had locked the rear tire for 50 feet or so and had almost...almost missed the right rear corner of the cage that was making a left turn into the same road I live on.

I immediately recognized Doc was the pilot. He's a long-time rider and occassional riding buddy. Another local rider, and occassional riding buddy, helped Doc free himself and they righted the bike while I flagged traffic. Doc's leg took a good pounding but he's OK. His Yamaha Venture dresser was considerable worse for wear on the lower left front.

Doc's bike is in my neighbor's garage and I took him home. Irony is hell, Doc's wife, a rider, is away this weekend attending a motorcycle safety course that she tried to get him to attend with her. Poor bastard!

But get this, he hit another car, lowsiding the cage in the butt and the deputy just wrote out an accident report, took pics, etc and sent them on their way.

I go down in VA w/ no witnesses, no property damage or injury to another and I gotta hire an attorney and go to court - I'm starting to think that Haulin' Ashe is right - VA SUCKS (apologies to those of you ?fortunate? enough to live there).

I go down in VA w/ no witnesses, no property damage or injury to another and I gotta hire an attorney and go to court - I'm starting to think that Haulin' Ashe is right - VA SUCKS (apologies to those of you ?fortunate? enough to live there).
Thats a BAD attitude Jim! No wonder the cop gave you a ticket :D

Seriously though,

reckless driving in VA costs 1k min 3.5k max

punishment

reckless driving in VA could be for failure to use turn signal (no not this signal :fuck: )

crime

Jim,

Glad your as OK as you are. Heal well! Heal fast!

I just received my Crash Club Sticker....here's yours:
crashclub.gif

Yes Bill, but I needed a good whine!

The new traffic laws in VA are structured to make up for the funding lost by removing their vehicle taxes. And the lawyers are no doubt lovin' it! I'm hoping my new lawyer (geez) can get it whittled down to "improper driving." The money will likely be about the same by the time I pay for his services.

War machine,

Appreciate the good words. Thanks for the sticker, I think. :rolleyes: :)

wow, glad you are ok. All of these crashes had me out shoppin for some nice new gear. I was thinking about this earlier today when I was out pushin it thought the twisties trying to catch up to a group of bikes. I worry more about bambie meeting up with me though!

Stop it.

Here....maybe THIS will help the humorless proles amongst the unwashed. :fuck:
Now THAT is TOOO funny! Adding a link for a thesaurus is down right evil!

Thats a BAD attitude Jim! No wonder the cop gave you a ticket :D

Seriously though,

reckless driving in VA costs 1k min 3.5k max

punishment

reckless driving in VA could be for failure to use turn signal (no not this signal :fuck: )

crime
Thanks for the heads up Mr Bill.I will stay out of Virgina.That is an obscene revenue generator for an out of state visitor that happens to have a one car accident or fails to make his turns known in DC!