RTE - Feb. 20th to D&H Cycles and the All-Steak Restaurant in Cullman, AL

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBandit

Reaction score
***SEE CHANGES IN THE EDIT SECTION BELOW***

I've been chatting with Uncle Hud for a couple of weeks and we've been kicking around the idea of an early season RTE. Here's what we had in mind.

February 20 (and 21st if you'd like). That's the weekend after Valentines. Everyone should have earned a kitchen pass by then. Recognizing that in mid-late February the Alabama weather can be anything from sub-freezing nasty to gorgeous and in the low 70's, so we'll make the final decision a week or so out depending on the weather forecast at the time. Until then, it's a go!

The Plan

I'm thinking that we meet at the MAPCO Convenience store just off of I-59 at exit 218 in Ft. Payne, around 8:00 CST with an 8:30 CST KSU. (see changes below) That should give the folks coming from TN in the central time zone enough time to slab it to there if they are interesting in meeting for the ride over to Cullman. Some may just RTE directly to Cullman. The eastern time zone boys would/may have a little more play time on their hands that morning.

Whether you are coming from Ft. Payne or just meeting in Cullman, plan to meet at D&H at 11:00 CST. That will give those of us coming from Ft. Payne time to take the Lake Guntersville route and stop and smell the roses a little bit on the way to Cullman.

We'll kick tires with Jerold and Renae for a little bit at D&H then head to the All Steak Restaurant (Home of the Orange Roll) in downtown Cullman for lunch around noon CST. Afterwards, you chose to break away and head on back home or continue riding that afternoon with others.

We'll plan to leave out of Cullman around 1:30 CST, which will give everyone a little time to enjoy their ride home.

If you would like to make a full weekend out of it and visit the Barber Museum on Sunday I can lead us on a nice little three hour jaunt back to Birmingham Saturday afternoon. Depending on interest I could check with hotels near Barber and see if we might be able to get a group rate. Saturday evening I could (attempt to) chaperon the contingent that comes to Birmingham in the form of BBQ and beers that evening. Then we can visit Barber Sunday morning before everyone heads towards home after touring Barber.

Open to comments/suggestions/questions.

BTW - this doesn't have to be limited to FJR's. Bring your friends along as well. Only one caveat, loud pipes in the rear, that is merely to save lives of course!
rolleyes.gif

*** EDIT ***

List of (possible) attendees and their status

Committed
FJRBandit - IN
Unclehud - IN
griff - IN
CAV47 - IN - all the way from Illinoise.
2ducs - IN - meeting at D&H

Maybes???
El Toro - early tentative commit, pls post up with your status
rehabgen1 - depends on if she'll fire up or not. pls post up with your status
Sunrider - maybe next time???

Any others???

Unclehud and Griff are meeting FJRBandit and CAV47 in Scottsboro. We are meeting at the Comer Bridge Boat Ramp just over the river from Scottsboro with KSU at 9 am Central time - GPS Coordinates 34.6320495,-85.9742259

2ducs plans to meet everyone at D&H Cycle.

Please PM me if you are coming and you are not listed on the Committed list above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be watching the weather. I've got about 2.5 hours coming down off the plateau between me and the northern terminus of I-59. Early morning is often quite foggy.

I'm thinking of maybe a run to Barber on the 19th, and then backtracking up to Cullman from Barber for the Rendezvous on the 20th.

I hope the weather looks good. It's always fun to listen to Jerald talk politics
no.gif
. But they're nice folks. It would be fun to check out the restaurant. I've been to D&H several times over the years, but I don't think I've ever been in beautiful downtown Cullman.

Sorry about the delayed response, FJRBandit:

I'm in. D&H sold me a YES, and I have a professional friend who grew up in Cullman. Wouldn't miss this. Meet you in Fort Payne at 8 am Central!

Excellent! Glad to hear that the two of you are in. Maybe we'll have a few others join us.

For those that aren't familiar with D&H (being on this forum, I'm really not sure how you wouldn't have heard of them) but in case you haven't, read this.

Nice link above, with a post from 2006 quoting a YES policy from D&H for $389. I bought my YES from them in November 2015 for ....... $389. (Maybe I should bring Renee a casserole?)

Welcome aboard 2ducs! That's the purpose of the RTE, getting folks in the general area together. Looking forward to meeting you, especially after reading your avatar! At the price D&H charges for the YES warranty it's really a no brainer. Keep in mind, the YES has to be purchased before the first anniversary the bike first went into service.

El Toro, let me know if you come to Birmingham on the 19th, if you'd like we can get together for beers that evening. Then ride up to Ft. Payne the next morning to meet Uncle Hud and whoever else might decide to join us. Maybe 2ducs can join us for the ride up as well that morning.

Thanks for organizing this. I'll get in touch closer to the date. Right now I am holding this time frame open. I usually go to Barber during January, but I've put it off in anticipation of doing it in conjunction with this get together.

Get'er done rehab! You still have three weeks. Surely that's plenty of time to put a little motorcycle back together.
rolleyes.gif
Didn't I see in another post somewhere that you are in the Montgomery area? Let me know if you'd like a little help. I'm really, really good at opening beers!
punk.gif

Finally getting a little break in the weather forecast here. Looks like I'll be on the V-strom Saturday. I think I'm headed to Cheaha for a little dirt riding and hiking.

Didn't make it to Cheaha last Saturday, but I did get the strom out in the woods in the Oakmulgee District of the Talladega National Forest down in the Centerville / Brent area. That's a fun playground for strom riding, especially with the knobbies I have on it for winter!

I hope everyone is still on go for the RTE. It's still a little early to sat what the weather conditions will be but we'll get a long range forecast this time next week and can start planning accordingly. How's the rehab coming along, rehab?

Griff: Let me know. Will be stopping at least twice on the way there for BMR bonus points. Need a bed? It's unclaimed.

I have been watching this thread. I have a half day of school on Friday the 19th. If the weather is decent enough, I may bug out of here about noon and see how far I can get to that night. Google says its 7:30 hours to Ft. Payne. 465 miles is a little tough to accomplish after noon and with the days being so short. I might have to hole up early somewhere. Get up really early for a couple of hours in to the MAPCO. Hang out with you guys on Saturday and take the long way home on Sunday. I am pretty stir crazy here looking out at the snow covered ground.

Better look at some weather forecasts

^^^^^ One always has the opportunity to bail -- even if it's the day before or the day of the event. (See Stagecoach Ride, 2015.)