SFO 2016 - Oct. 27th thru Oct. 30th in Jemison, Alabama!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick report from the Stampede Steakhouse and Catfish Corral in Talladega. I have to say, we have a wonderful group of 20 plus. The ridding yesterday was awesome, the weather is warm but perfect, the shrimp and corn boil last night was over the top and our guitarist blew us all away, especially the closing tune "Whipping Post"! Man, we're having a blast!
Thanks a million to you, your wife, and everyone else who had a hand in organization. Sorry I had to bail early but I'll be around. I had a great time on Cheaha and surrounding area today, as well as our time yesterday evening. It was perfect! Thanks again!

Home safe!

A few observations:

Turk put on a great show!

Great roads are where you ride 'em. And who you ride 'em with. Big ups to the bunch on being such skilled riders. Couldn't have imagined being able to run down the road with that many folks so smoothly.

Alabama drivers: Smart enough to see a flotilla of motorcycles entering the highway or making a turn and wait for the whole crew to get out or around. That ain't happenin' in NC. JS.

Whod'a thunk we'd get upper 80s in October? I'll take it. And dry to boot.

Turk and Missuz Turk put on a whale of a get together.

I et too much.

No offense, but I have decided I don't like Georgia. From the time I turned north on I-85 north of the Perimeter, the prevailing IQ was breathtakingly low. And it ain't ATL...it was the same way in rural GA on the way down. It was the same with GA drivers in SC. Well, except the guys/gals in VWs who seem to run at light speed... Budget cuts must've eliminated Driver's Ed. That or crappy begets crappy.

Alabama breakfast buffets don't include anything that won't attack your blood vessels. I don't know that salad and canned fruit counts. I ate it all with vigor.

Rural Alabama communities look to have suffered, but they haven't lost their heart.

I don't think I've ever ridden with a group that maintained such a consistently high velocity. The bike wouldn't listen to holding a speed under 75 all the way home. Can't decide whether that means you reprobates are a good or a bad influence...on the bike, not me.

Turk, Missuz Turk, and Friends of Turk staged a spectacular shindig!!! Can't wait for next year, if we're so lucky!

Home safe. Thanks to Turk, Jana and all of their other helpers for putting on a great event!!! It was great meeting everyone. Sorry I had to bail early but I wanted to get a jump on the ride home. Temps drop fast when you head 800 miles north!

Well - pants is not quite done with this one. Today , the redfishes, Doug, his better half, Cav47, Poolboy, and I had a wonderful ride up to the little river canyon. Josh, mark, and I kept running northeast until the temperature started dropping. Now camping at TWO in Suches. It's 60 degrees and falling.

Tomorrow we will rail a few roads in north Georgia and camp again. Life is good.

Words cannot describe what an awesome time we have had with the Turk family. Actually I feel now part of the family and I bet everyone else does as well.

I will do my best with a ride report when we get back. But we(Pants, PoolBoy, and I) are in Suches at TWO. Camp fire is rolling and life is good.

We have to do this again.

Well - pants is not quite done with this one. Today , the redfishes, Doug, his better half, Cav47, Poolboy, and I had a wonderful ride up to the little river canyon. Josh, mark, and I kept running northeast until the temperature started dropping. Now camping at TWO in Suches. It's 60 degrees and falling.
Tomorrow we will rail a few roads in north Georgia and camp again. Life is good.

Words cannot describe what an awesome time we have had with the Turk family. Actually I feel now part of the family and I bet everyone else does as well. I will do my best with a ride report when we get back. But we(Pants, PoolBoy, and I) are in Suches at TWO. Camp fire is rolling and life is good. We have to do this again.
If the little woman didn't have to be at work in the am, we would have followed up to TWoS and grabbed a cheap tent along the way.

Cabins or tent wouldn't have mattered since she has to be at work at 8am in the morning. If I thought I could have talked her into calling out, we would have spent night and better part of Monday in the North GA mtns

So, we put a wrap on SFO 2016 this morning with the departure of all of the attendees. I'll expand more as I respond to others ride reports as they begin to roll in. But I did want to say thank you to everyone for your over generous comments. Mrs. Bandit and I were just happy that everyone seemed to enjoy themselves as much as they did, that there were no riding incidences and everyone arrived back at camp or at the hotel safe and intact each evening. As many have already alluded to, we spent a couple of days blistering the roads of east Alabama.

The total count was 20 bikes, three of which were riding two up. A few riders weren't able to make it due to last minute issues, ranging from flu to flat tires. Those that did make it were treated to a smorgasbord of great food, great music, great riding and most of all, fantastic camaraderie. In addition, we had six or eight non-riders that joined us each night for dinner, including my sister who lives nearby and my brother who drove in from Dallas, TX for the weekend. Also, Mrs. Bandit's daughter and her boyfriend offered to operate the "tipsy taxi" service that served to ferry the riders that were staying at the hotel to and from our camp each night. All in all, I believe we counted 32 one of the nights and somehow managed to have leftovers every night. With the exception of the boiled shrimp, which would have been enough had everyone been aware that there was also kielbasa in the pan, but it blended in with the potatoes and many just didn't know it was there. I guess I'll be eating kielbasa all week, darn it!
winksmiley02.gif

One of the non-forum locals who attended told me that he was surprised at the friendships that developed among so many people who had never met before this past weekend, except having had a general knowledge of some of them through their forum participation. I think that just goes to show that most of us are kindred spirits, especially when it comes to our love of riding and a genuine respect for one another. In fact, each day we went out as a group of 20 and managed to ride together all day. At times we split into two groups of 10 that followed the same route, but separated by 5 or 10 minutes. Pants led a group and Poolboy ran sweep for him and I took the other group and Cornbread took the sweep for my group. That allowed us to all visit the same places and enjoy each others company at each of our stops for breaks and eat lunch together. Surprisingly, it worked out very well.&

I'll let others tell the stories of their various itineraries and places we visited as a group through their proper reports. But here are just a few of the pictures that Mrs. Bandit and myself captured throughout the weekend.

First up, our group pic. Someone else will have to post theirs, because my camera decided to find a bad setting for the "official group" pic. Somehow the settings on my camera were fine during the line up and cat herding process.... but not for the actual group pic. I think Pants got a good one, he'll post it up later.

P1040365_zpsh1mvvitj.jpg

You might have already heard, we had quite a feast each night! No pics from the burgers and dogs Thursday night, but here's one of the shrimp/kielbasa corn boil Friday night.

..... and then Saturday night, leftover corn and potatoes from Friday night to go along with our smoked ribs and BBQ butt that had been on the smoker ALL Day while we were riding Saturday!

20161029_191058_zpsiigasmam.jpg

Both nights the meals were off the charts! I can't thank my friends enough for coming in and doing the cooking for us. Here's our BBQ champ, Stan and his lovely wife Casey, who arrived at 7 a.m. Saturday morning with the smoker to get the ribs and butts going on the "low and slow" mode. They were fantastic!

P1040371_zpsq5gx9qb5.jpg

P1040370_zpspi3bslk0.jpg

...and man, who could ever forget our "concert" Friday night?? Mr. Allan Barlow came in and showed us all how it's done Friday night. You wouldn't believe the set list he played for us if I told you, but I'll mention a few of the songs for you anyway... how about Jimi Hendrix "Purple Haze" for starters, David Bowie "Space Oddity" (Major Tom) believe it or not... and he was kind enough to play a dedication request that I made to Mrs. Bandit, Rolling Stones "Wild Horses", among many, many others, then after a couple of hours he closed out with The Allman Brothers "Whippin' Post". I'm sorry you missed it if you weren't there...

20161028_194004_zpsomrypxwy.jpg

20161028_193727_zpsq2mmoiim.jpg

I even joined him onstage for one song. I AM the "Undisputed Air Guitar Champion of the World" after all.... I have the T-shirt to prove it!

20161028_212353_zpsfyn9j6oe.jpg

Pants and Co. provided the lighting effects for the show!

20161028_202333_zpsguxzkjjk.jpg

We visited the highest point in Alabama, Mt. Cheaha.

P1040340_zpsq64xx3zk.jpg

P1040332_zpsi6yekaaz.jpg

Took a stroll down the nice boardwalk out to Bald Rock.

P1040348_zpsfnp6wldq.jpg

P1040359_zpsn5kupmad.jpg

P1040351_zpseagsihw0.jpg

P1040353_zpsbrhkp73c.jpg

P1040362_zpsiomb38sp.jpg

...and I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this young lady right here! FJRferrier is da bomb!

P1040354_zpseylwrzbc.jpg

Of course we did a little riding and socializing too...

20161028_104343_zpsqd7vkxux.jpg

20161029_125201_zpsjd23mepv.jpg

more to follow....

Last edited by a moderator:
-- cont. from above.

I would be remisced if I didn't share a few shots from around camp with you...

20161027_174521_zpsjzyv6kpy.jpg

20161027_174402_zps4axmkskc.jpg

20161027_174449_zpsgxzjt4yz.jpg

20161027_174436_zpsez1ulyc7.jpg

P1040328_zps0mmyvtdo.jpg

20161028_073640_zpsi3c4xakz.jpg

20161027_202222_zpsaaqjb7qp.jpg

20161029_191046_zpsi5yq8ee4.jpg

20161029_191051_zpsfp7nws5h.jpg

P1040372_zpsjhchch53.jpg

20161030_112743_zpss6no7opc.jpg

Then, all at once, it was over... everyone was packed up bright and early this morning. Had their last cup of coffee and it was time to roll on down the road...

20161030_074224_zps1nkija8f.jpg

Nate was the last one to pull away this morning. It was a bitter sweet end to an awesome weekend!

20161030_081418_zpsxea6wwmo.jpg

So you ask, which way to SFO... well, this way of course, just follow the signs.

20161027_122950_zpsqcke1riu.jpg

If you weren't able to attend this year, maybe next year you can make it and have a chat with this old feller.

20161030_120248_zpsuhyicho0.jpg

Before I close, I have to say thank you to the anonymous donor who left this on the seat of my bike Saturday morning! It was so unnecessary, but it just shows the heart of the people who were here.

20161030_075830_zpssqucloz1.jpg

In addition, many of those that were in attendance contributed more than the requested $60! All of you folks are the greatest!!! It was a pleasure hosting each and every one of you!!!!

We even had one forum member who lives in the Pacific Northwest who, although he couldn't make it, donated to the cause! He knows who he is - I just hope he knows just how much Mrs. Bandit and I appreciate his generosity! Thanks pieman, this one is for you!
winksmiley02.gif

20161029_204643_zps1nkrxrju.jpg

Later y'all!

Now get to posting up those ride reports. I can't wait to see your pics!!!!
punk.gif

Looks like a great time. I know how hard it is to organize something like this and it looks like you had all of the bases covered flawlessly. The Halloween decorations were solid.

Don.

Its a crappy little video camera but it doesn't make horrible videos. This is the 1st of 2 videos that are from when we left the overlook on 281 (Cheaha). I was in the group led by Pants and it was the more "spirited" group as I understand it.