RTE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Nothing since April last year?????

RTE into total unknown. TomorrowPlan A- https://www.apizzadinapoli.com/Exiting curvy roads with great scenery there and back-Nyet!Someplace we've never been, someplace we've not eaten, with minimal chance of ice, salt, sand-Si!KSU Lake Rabon Park 9:30am https://lcwsc.com/services/lake-rabon/ (or my house at 9:28, if you don't mind a long gravel driveway)

Sometimes you just gotta ride. We can get in some good mountain rides in January but recent weather would have meant tip-toeing around, worrying about salt, sand and ice patches. So we went south, searching for something a little different.

My favorite pizza place closed down a few years ago. The pies there got to the table hotter than anywhere else I’ve ever eaten.   

Aiken SC and horses have a little thing going on. There are streets in quircky downtown Aiken that are still unpaved because dirt is better for horses. Searching Aiken eats online we found this little pizza place that bragged on their 900 degree ovens.

So to Aiken, we’re off. On a route that pinballed past trees, cows, dead mills and towns too small for a WalMart. Dollar General country.

We dismounted in Ninety Six SC and walked about the remains of the Loyalists earthen star fort from the Revolutionary War. We can add that to previously visited revolutionary War sites Musgrove Mill, Blackstock Battelfield, Kings Mountain and Cowpens. In praise of electric riding gear “let’s get back on the bikes so we can warm up”.

In Aiken we rode around the polo fields and racetracks and then ate a very good pizza. The search for my new favorite will continue.

Headed back north we crisscrossed the lakes on the SC GA border then circled the town square in Abbeville after this old church caught my eye.

50847051608_dd0e0bc065_b.jpg

Pretty good ride on any day. Great ride in January.

Next time, leave 4 minutes sooner 😀