Saddle bag lid came off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infidel

Reaction score
Its over 90º out. I went outside and the painted plastic cover of my left saddle bag was dangling. I'm guessing the heat softened up the adhesive and caused it to come loose. Anyone ever have this happen? Can anyone recommend an adhesive to put it back together? Thanks in advance.

Its over 90º out. I went outside and the painted plastic cover of my left saddle bag was dangling. I'm guessing the heat softened up the adhesive and caused it to come loose. Anyone ever have this happen? Can anyone recommend an adhesive to put it back together? Thanks in advance.

Yes, it happened rarely on the '03, very rarely on the '04 & '05 and I don't recall any Gen II with popping painted covers. The Gen II was more prone to the entire bag coming off the bike.

Pick your adhesive of choice. JB Weld would be one of the few hard epoxies that you could use without cracking the epoxy but it may result in cracking the lid. My first choice would be a 3M trim adhesive available in most complete auto parts stores because it is pliable and made for automotive temperatures and plastics. Another choice would be any RTV/silicon adhesive, again because it is pliable and can give with vibration and temperature variations.

It's ironic that some people want to remove the color cover to have it repainted and can't get it off with a small nuclear device and others have the covers just fall off. Monday/Friday builds?

Last edited by a moderator:
use the search engine, it has happened a few times to others and there is a fix, liquid nail! Really PM Gerauld, he has you remove the lid to repair paint instead of sending him the whole bag, he knows what to use.

Thanks. Apparently mine is one of the ultra rare 2004 delaminations. I noticed there is a double post of this post. Sorry for that, not sure how that happened.

...PM Gerauld, he has you remove the lid to repair paint instead of sending him the whole bag, he knows what to use.
When people send the lids to Gerauld they drill out the rivets at the hinge and send the whole cover to him, then rivet the lid back on when they get the handsomely repainted lid back. The OP has had just the color shell delaminate from the interior shell.

For the record, I attempted a Google search for Saddle bag adhesive, but did not find exactly what I was looking for. I called the Yamaha dealer and they did not carry an adhesive, but recommended RTV. I went into NAPA and they recommended 3M Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive. I am going to give the 3M a try. Once I figure out how to post up pix I will post an update. Fingers crossed....

Thanks. Apparently mine is one of the ultra rare 2004 delaminations. I noticed there is a double post of this post. Sorry for that, not sure how that happened.
Not all THAT rare...mine fell off last night! I couldn't believe this was posted today, less than 24 hours after mine fell off. Coincidentally, the one that came off on my '04 was the right bag lid.

What are the chances? What did you use to fix it? Where you in motion or stationary? I can't help but think bad things would happen if it came off at freeway speeds.

Think Fred W posted that he used double sided mounting tape..soundedlike a good fix....

Back a year or so ago, both of mine popped within a couple of days. The weird thing is that my left sidebag was a crash replacement, and not original to the bike, so it's not like they came off the line together, glued by Mr. Incompetent. I glued one, and the glue expanded as it dried so the cover is not quite flush at the top. I 3M-taped the other and the top edge won't stay stuck, like the inner and outer shells don't match up shape-wise.

I live in the Mojave desert where we can routinely see temps of 110F or higher. Last year my right lid began to separate, so I installed nice black anodized screws and lock nuts. I drilled two holes (one on either side of the Yamaha strip) on each bag, and then tightened the screw just enough to see the lid compress. On the inside of the bag I sealed the nut with RTV. I know most don't want to drill into their bags, but I wasn't going to deal with glue, and that it might separate again in the heat I deal with... This is just my solution to this problem...and hopefully it offers others another option.

I live in the Mojave desert where we can routinely see temps of 110F or higher. Last year my right lid began to separate, so I installed nice black anodized screws and lock nuts. I drilled two holes (one on either side of the Yamaha strip) on each bag, and then tightened the screw just enough to see the lid compress. On the inside of the bag I sealed the nut with RTV. I know most don't want to drill into their bags, but I wasn't going to deal with glue, and that it might separate again in the heat I deal with... This is just my solution to this problem...and hopefully it offers others another option.
Now that's a solution!

I much prefer mechanical fasterns over glue/tape/nylon straps. Mine have never come loose, but now you've got me thinking about breaking out my pop-rivet gun.

Rav, I live in the Antelope Valley.
I live in the cool mountains of Tehachapi, but commute to the ungodly heat of Edwards...
weirdsmiley.gif

Now that's a solution!

I much prefer mechanical fasterns over glue/tape/nylon straps. Mine have never come loose, but now you've got me thinking about breaking out my pop-rivet gun.
Be careful with rivets... The inner and outer shells are not form-fitting. This is why I used a lock nut, as I could adjust the tension on the outer lid. If I had torqued the screw tight it would have cracked the outer lid. I guess you could measure the relief needed for a proper sized rivet, but with my luck, I would miscalculate and crack the lid.

What are the chances?
Reading the number of replies involving the same problem, pretty high!
biggrin.png

What did you use to fix it?
Haven't fixed it yet...been driven 2 days now unbalanced -- one bag on (carrying rain suit) and one bag off.

Where you in motion or stationary?
I was in motion, but the bike was parked in a hot garage.
tongue.png

I can't help but think bad things would happen if it came off at freeway speeds.
Not something I'd worry about...the bag lid is pop-riveted to the bag, so it won't really "come off".

Now that's a solution!

Slick idea...

If the holes were drilled thru the strips the screws would almost disappear and the strips would be unable to fall off...which mine did..