Saddlebag repair ..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogdeb

Scouser
Reaction score
Sometime or other I'm going to have to get into this repair. Hinges are loose on both bags.

Done the searches and have found that "it can be done", but, no results on whether it was actually done.

Options being to drill out the four rivets on each case and replace them , or, as another suggested "might have been done", replace the rivets with nuts/bolts.??

Anyone here actually done it themselves?

Rivets look to be 1/8 inch. what is hard to tell is if they are into a blind hole, or does the rivet head sit between the inner and outer shell?

Appreciate any help - thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rivets are 5/32, medium (1/4 - 3/8") grip. I can send you some gratis if the ones on the lid side are loose. Those are easily replaced. The ones on the bag side are a hassle if they are loose. If they are. I would suggest leaving them alone and drilling 2 or 3 new 5/32" holes thru the hinge into the bag and installing new rivets.

And par for the course
rolleyes.gif
, 10 minutes later I'll answer my own question.

Not a blind hole as just one rivet head can be seen (barely) between the inner and outer shell. makes life simpler :)

The rivets are 5/32, medium (1/4 - 3/8") grip. I can send you some gratis if the ones on the lid side are loose. Those are easily replaced. The ones on the bag side are a hassle if they are loose. If they are. I would suggest leaving them alone and drilling 2 or 3 new 5/32" holes thru the hinge into the bag and installing new rivets.
And as I'm typing ... our resident expert came through. Thanks Gary
smile.png

I have rivets thanks, and it's the ones on the lid side.