Sales Of FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But IMHO there is also another factor: the price tag. Not exactly a cheap bike, our FJR :unsure:
Try pricing BMWs with the same features as the FJR. In my humble opinion, the FJR is a steal of a deal.

Like i said earlier i just traded my brand new one in .so any one looking to get one ( that was broken in with love and care ) go to moto pro of oceanside ca. im not sure what they are asking for it, it only has 2400 miles on it,but im sure you will get a smokin deal cause they are gonna have to sell it as used.A couple of times i have been back to the shop and seen it on the floor.it makes me sad i feel like i abandoned a child,just cant have um all. :( but man do i dig the new wing :D

The first bike I really liked was a 71 Honda 750 inline four I bought in 72. Later in life I got snookered into going the V Twin route, but never liked them as much as my Honda 750. They just didn't have the same power. Several years ago I bought A new 2000 Intruder 1400. It was an excellent bike but didn't have the get up and go of my old Honda 750. Then one day, by accident, I happened onto that other FJR forum (The one that bans people) and read the things being said about the FJR. I saw a picture of one, called the local dealers for the best price and plunked down my $500. Never saw one up close, never sat on one. Three months later it arrived and within 10 minutes of riding it I knew I had hit the jackpot. I would do it all over again. :yahoo:

colin24 you hit the nail righ on the head ... i guess yamaha makes enough cash off there other bikes not to get the message out about the fjr.

I agree with your comment re: marketing dollars all going to Star, Colin. At WFO-4, an American friend showed me the new 06 brochure for Star as he is both into cruisers and his FJR. Holy cow! It looked like a BMW or Mercedes brochure - very rich, and included pages of available factory options. Contrast that with our beloved FJR's and all of the care and attention they get from Mama Yama...

I got mine because one was on the floor, original buyer changed their mind. Two others were looking at it, I got there first. If the dealer had more, I'm sure he would have sold more. I'm kind of glad there are not more, sure hate to be a Yamaha version of the Harley. I like being the rebel in the crowd, even though Harley riders think that is their role, they are really the sheep. If the the FJR had not been on the floor, I probably would be riding an FZ1 right now, which was my second choice.

FJR Sales -

The sport touring market in the US has been very poor and the bike manufactures know it. The European market is where they sell all of the ST bikes, US is for sport bikes and cruisers. After the decline in the US ST market 10 or more years ago, most manufactures literally ignore the US market.

Over the last 4 years there has been a strong upward trend in the ST market in the US and that's why the FJR is here.

When the FJR was first released in the US, Yamaha literally was bringing a guaranteed sale from Europe to the US. Hence the PDP program to make sure that Yamaha dealers did not end up with a show room full of FJRs that they could not sell. As the ST market continues to strengthen in the US, look for more and more concessions towards the US. Alot like why european car makers are now putting more cup holders in their cars, because the damn yanks want cup holders.

I would look for an update of the FJR soon, as the current design is becoming dated. With the new BMW RT and Honda is religious about updating their designs, Yamaha will likely follow suit. And Kawasaki just doesn't care about the Concours.

I put my PDP money down without ever riding an FJR. I relied heavily on the magazine reviews. By the mouth of two or three witnesses may all truths be told...

IMHO - I love the FJR and it's a brilliant bike for the niche that it is aimed towards.

My brother with the ST1300 always tell me that if he could only have one bike, it would be the FJR. As it stands, he has four bikes so the ST1300 is his "slow touring" bike as I call it. When he wants sport he has an RC-51.

As more sport bike riders grow and slow, look for a growing sport touring market. I hope that Yamaha keeps up.

I knew I wanted one from the reviews I had read; and the added PDP delivery for the 05's was attractive... but it was when I walked into a showroom and the dealer had 2 new ones on the floor, traded in my 18 month old Warrior on the spot. Almost took the plunge on a new K1200S on the BMW lot next door, but went to check the Yami dealer; having it on the floor is what did it for me.

Great reply XLR8. I couldn't agree more. Several of my bike riding friends would never go riding unless conditions are perfect. Also, short rides for them are the norm. The FJR is ment to be ridden, long and hard. BTW, I managed to sit on the 04 model at a bike show when it came to Denver. That was my clincher in deciding to buy. I actually fit on the bike. Love my FJR. :agent:

The price tag is one reason.
One reason for low sales?

You're kidding. Right? Compare the price of the FJR to any other current-generation S-T bike. It's the price leader. You can't compare pricing for a lower option unless you stretch way back to 1986 designs for a current model Concours.

I'd have to echo the same sediments noted. It's tuff for most people to put down money for a bike using the PDP process with never having the ability to see one in person, sit on it, etc..etc.

Now that they will be shown in dealers show rooms, and gase prices where they are, I'm sure these FJR's are going to be to familiar on the road. I like owning a limited quantity, bnut that is about to change!

-=SF=-

I hadn't ridden a bike since I was 19yrs old... I'll be 38 on 9-11.

I had a Yamaha RD400 Bored 3 over, with DG heads and Reed Valves taken off an Newer RZ350, bigger carbs and Kerker Headers and Pipes.... Fastest thing on the planet at the time... I could waste anything on the road, up until I got a little overzealous and crashed the unstable little rocket ship... at 100mph High speed wobble... hehheh I lived... as stupid as I was (youth)

Last year I bought a mint condition 1986 Honda NightHawk, R/W/B and figured out what was missing in my life.... I love this bike, and still ride it... but still something was missing.... I had the need to ride farther distances then this bike would allow me with no fairing, and getting beat to death on the freeway...

Being a Yamaha man for life... I always had my eye on a V-Max, but I couldn't see the riding postition and again no fairing/protection..... for the highway....

My buddy and I were both lookin for new rides, he had a Katana, which I hated, and he just sold it... I told him to look at the FJR, and the next day he found and bought a used '03 on the spot... when he called me up, I shot over to his house, never seeing an FJR I couldn't wait... I took it for a ride, I was lucky, most people don't have that oppertunity... after riding it.....

-----------------------------I Fell In LOVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!------------------------------

I was so jelous, I couln't wait, within a month of learning more and reading these forums, I HAD TO HAVE IT !!!!!!!

I started looking around and found my Dream Machine '05 New in Chicago, they had 2 ABS and 4 non...

The best of both worlds, and the price was the best part... compared to BMW's which are too bulky and too expensive... and the S/T - too fat and too slow...

Take your pick, side bags or not... the Bike looks awesome...

My buddy is a crotch rocket lover, and at 50yrs old, he still won't put the bags on..

and he yells at me for leavin mine on all the time... but I love to hawl sh!t with me..

I strongly feel that I would have a hard time trying to leave this machine...

Except for a trial of the new updated '06....

Warp

Last edited by a moderator: