Schuberth C3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAF

Reaction score
This showed up Tuesday

helmet%20front.jpg

helmet%20side.jpg

This is a size Large

Worn it about 1.5 hours around the house.

First for sure is it is light in weight, just putting it on you can hear the difference it makes with a TV on or people talking sound wise, no hot spots or pressure points that I have felt, the second chin guard is easy to get used to using but we will see if it remains, I wore a Schuberth J1 and love it for very hot weather so was used to the closure type, and it does feel nice against the head and skin with the cheek pads and removable liner, over all I am highly impressed so far.

Also learned on the Google search that I need a new mount for the Sena SMH-10B duel set I have yet to open, so that is ordered.

I had already read that the adhesive promoter is a must for hope that it stays on. If it comes off JB weld should work

SO you guys who wear a C3, could you tell me how they broke in for you?

The helmet feels good to me, open or closed clearance seems fine, chin, eye glasses, all feel good.

I do not think I would want a XL as that puts me in their larger shell size.

And I have no reason to think I need it based on the 1.5 hours of wearing it.

Just wondering how it wears in with use?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it feels good now you certainly don't want to be moving to a size larger. Mine still feels the same after almost 3,000 miles (albeit that's only a few riding days for me).

Other thoughts:

It's much noisier with the additional chin/neck piece removed.

The Pinlock visor is awesome, mine has yet to fog even in 20 deg damp weather.

You're right about needing the 3M adhesive for the Sena backing plate. But, you're going to need either a SMH-A0302 (for speakers) or a SMH-A0304 (for earbuds) backing plate. The standard backing plates that come with Sena units WILL NOT work with a C3 as the backing plate has to be mounted backside of the visor slide, thus making the microphone too short to reach where it needs to be. The A0302 and A0304 backing plates have detachable mics on cords that can them be mounted anywhere.

The C3 is easy to disassemble enough to install the Sena mic and speakers (I use earbuds and a boom mic in mine). The padding pieces simply snap in and out. If you're using speakers make sure you position them exactly where they need to be. Do a test positioning with some double-sided tape if necessary so you can move them around until you have the best possible sound.

I've had mine for 2 years now and it is still great. Bloody expensive visor replacements though!! <_<

Thanks for the info on the C3, both the new owner and the guys with 2 yrs. experience. I looked long and hard at the C3 at Americade last yr. It fit well, just couldn't bring myself to part with over $600 with the discount they were offering there. Have not ruled out a purchase yet, still wearing my RF700 Shoei. Still thinking.

I didn't notice any change in fit over time. It was a little snug from day 1 and still is.

If you add a boom mic, you'll likely have to go without the second chin curtain. It doesn't leave much spare room to close the face with that in. Even the custom headset that Schuberth makes with Cardo gets in the way of that second chin curtain.

For those that have a few miles with the C3, have you used another flip up before? I currently have a HJC and it performs well enough, but a friend's dad passed away and he is giving me his C3, used only for a few months. Best part is that it was Dad's. Will it be a quieter and/or cooler helmet?

I had over 130k miles on my Schuberth C2 before moving to the newer C3. When the C3 debuted it was the lightest, quietest flip helmet made (much more so than my C2). Cooler I can't comment on as I haven't had it long enough to get out in any heat. After having the internal sun-visor in my C2 it's now a requirement for any helmet for me. As for the price, I figure if it's the helmet of choice for the F-1 drivers it's good enough for me. Incidentally, they have to purchase the helmets, they're not comp'd by Schuberth.

I didn't notice any change in fit over time. It was a little snug from day 1 and still is.
That is what I was wondering. Good description in snug, that is how I would describe it also. Not tight but snug. I would imagine it molds a bit on wearing it in?

Just wanted to make sure that the fit is supposed to be a bit snug, not much roll front to back at all, but again no pressure or hot spots I have felt.

Thank you for the information.

That is what I was wondering. Good description in snug, that is how I would describe it also. Not tight but snug. I would imagine it molds a bit on wearing it in?

Just wanted to make sure that the fit is supposed to be a bit snug, not much roll front to back at all, but again no pressure or hot spots I have felt.

Thank you for the information.
I feel that they run a little on the smaller side. I generally wear an XL or even a XXL in most helmets. However, the XXXL from Schuberth fit me best, and fit me better than any other helmet for that matter. I've hade mine roughly 6 months and wear it every day on my commute. If it's tight now, it won't "break in" very much, so try the larger size.

The chin bar does feel closer than other helmets did, but not annoyingly close. I don't use the secondary chin cover so I can't comment on that. The helmet is noticably lighter than the Nolan modular that it replaced, however I don't really notice that it's much quieter. The flip portion does take some effort to completely close, which I attribute to it being a better locking mechanism.

The pinlock system works well, the visor is hefty and the detents are firm. The sun visor is a life-saver and, like other have said, I'll never own another helmet without this feature.

All-in-all, of the more than a dozen helmets that I've owned, from Arai to Shoei to the recent Nolan . . . this is without question the finest fit and best helmet that I've owned. I can't see any other helmet being more suitable for me. Oh, the ventilation is exceptional, you actually get better airflow with the shield down . . . I've never had that happen before.

So, in short, if you can get the right fit, then it's definitely worth the money. By the way, I went with the Hi-Viz yellow which gets alot of looks when I wear it in somewhere.

For those that have a few miles with the C3, have you used another flip up before? I currently have a HJC and it performs well enough, but a friend's dad passed away and he is giving me his C3, used only for a few months. Best part is that it was Dad's. Will it be a quieter and/or cooler helmet?
I have had Caberg, Shoei and a HJC. The C3 will be quieter by comparison. The airflow into the helmet is good. The internal visor, as others have said, is a must on any helmet for me! You'll be happy as long as it fits well.

I didn't notice any change in fit over time. It was a little snug from day 1 and still is. <snip>
Oh. That's not good news for me at all. Mine is the same size as the S1 and S1 Pro I had previously which were perfect fits but the C3 is a bit tight. I've only done around 1500 miles in it so far and I rather hoped it would become a little less tight over time.

It's probably a bit late to change it...

C3-1.jpg

C3.jpg

Edit: Hmm, I'm sure I'll figure out in a minute why only one image is showing...Ah, that's better!

Kevin

I was using a Shoei Multitech before I got My C3. While the Shoei was (is) a good helmet, the C3 is head and shoulders above it. It is quieter, lighter, cooler and just fits better. It fit "like buddah" when I first got it and the fit has not changed. Yes, the C3 is big bucks, but to me it was worth every cent.

I didn't notice any change in fit over time. It was a little snug from day 1 and still is. <snip>
Oh. That's not good news for me at all. Mine is the same size as the S1 and S1 Pro I had previously which were perfect fits but the C3 is a bit tight. I've only done around 1500 miles in it so far and I rather hoped it would become a little less tight over time.

It's probably a bit late to change it...

C3-1.jpg

C3.jpg

Edit: Hmm, I'm sure I'll figure out in a minute why only one image is showing...Ah, that's better!

Kevin
Love the paint job Kevin. Secret Squirrel and St George I get but a Scuba diving rat?

Love the paint job Kevin. Secret Squirrel and Brittania I get but a Scuba diving rat?
Thank you but it wasn't Brittania who was into slaying dragons. :)

C3-back.jpg

Secret Squirrel and the swallow on the front are images associated with my younger brother who we lost to prostate cancer a few years ago.

The rat... We started diving in 1994 and it gradually took over our recreational lives to the extent that we even gave up biking, which had been a lifelong passion, for a few years. Our diving was getting more and more technical - deep, mixed gases, CCRs, etc. We became bored with our existing club and the tut-tutting of people who were more interested in recreational diving and thought we should be too so we started our own club with a small group of like-minded friends - Recreational And Technical Sub-Aqua Club = RATSAC. Now you can see where the logo came from.

Time passed, friends got married and had children so no time for diving and SWMBO got fed up with carrying all the heavy diving gear and the long, boring hangs in mid-water. I didn't want to dive regularly with anyone else and I rediscovered bikes in 2005 after a 7 year lay-off so the club dissolved. I like the RATSAC logo but I'm not sure when I started using it as a forum avatar nor why - probably because it's 'different' - but it's been several years.

We still dive but rarely and only on holiday nowadays. Last time we went on a diving trip was to the Red Sea in October last year and by mid-week I was wishing I was on the bike. Times change.

Kevin

Edited after SWMBO pointed out my gaffe!!

I like my diving as well but with work and my re-discovery of bikes I also only seem to manage holidays now! Egypt last year was really good. Did a few days with Emperor at Hurgada. Good set-up and decent boats.

Well she is a keeper for sure!

Rode 200 miles on Wednesday, and 250 miles Thursday, 125 in rain.

Fit is great snug but does not hurt anywhere.

I installed the Sena in it for Thursdays ride and man that is the cats meow too! Way easy to instal compared to other Schuberth's I have done for friends.

It is quiet but does have wind noise with vents open. I ride with musicians ear plugs so not a big deal at all.

With screws and rods in my C1 and C2 I am very weight and buffeting sensitive. This helmet solves and reduces those two point to non issues for me. Even compared to my Schuberth J-1. This is worth the cost of admission alone.

I will need to replace my Rifle shield for a summer one as it is big and I can not adjust it to clear the face shield of rain but I expected to have to get a summer shield anyway.

Yes it is expensive, and while I cringe at what it cost to get to this level of helmet I am glad I spent the money.

Light, quiet, great fit, and way less buffeting than anything I have ever worn, I am a happy C3 owner!