Scorpion EXO 1000 helmets - any comments?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Scorpion EXO1000 and a Suomy Spec 1R and I actually prefer the Suomy over the Scorpion. I do like the EXO1000 for the reason of the flip down visor, but I wish it was a little longer so you could ride with the main visor up and the sun visor down for more airflow. Maybe it's just the shape of my face that doesn't allow this to happen. The Suomy is more plush on the inside and I think it fits my head shape a little better. But for the money, they are a good lid.

I don't have a Scorpion but a HJC with the integrated visor - about the most useless "feature" I've ever purchased. The bottom edge of the shield ends up right at the bottom of my line of sight and is more of a distraction (light to dark looking up and down) than an advantage. Maybe this is less of an issue with the Scorp since it is larger, but personally I don't like the light to dark seam in my vision. I guess it would be better than nothing, but since I always travel with sunglasses it never gets used.

I've found the EXO1000 to be a good helmet. The internal sunscreen comes down plenty far for me, and it is a great option on days where sun may vary or where I may end up riding westward in the late afternoon. While some reviewers don't like the air flow, I found it to be plentiful once you get to about 5 or 10 MPH. Easy on/off visors.

All that doesn't mean I won't look at something else this season tho' ;)

As a proto-newby to the FJR (waiting for mine to get fixed up at dealer), question for you folks who have them: does it fit in the side cases?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just made helmet purchase-my first full face helmet that I can actually use. Looked at many, read a lot, fitted a dozen. While I really like the Skorp line, all I discovered led me to the HJC IS-16. Also has the drop down sunshade, much better set-up though. High marks in reviews. have had it for a couple weeks now, long enough to personally recommend it. Has nice little speaker pockets-adding sound is a breeze. Mechanism for sunshade is awesome. Fit and finish are great. Sells for around a buck seventy five.
2009_HJC_IS-16_Solid_Helmet.jpg

Recent Review Here

Helmet Harbor Video
+1. Excellent value.

I've found the EXO1000 to be a good helmet. The internal sunscreen comes down plenty far for me, and it is a great option on days where sun may vary or where I may end up riding westward in the late afternoon. While some reviewers don't like the air flow, I found it to be plentiful once you get to about 5 or 10 MPH. Easy on/off visors.

As a proto-newby to the FJR (waiting for mine to get fixed up at dealer), question for you folks who have them: does it fit in the side cases?
If the shell is the same size as the 700, it'll fit.

I have a Scorpion EXO1000 and a Suomy Spec 1R and I actually prefer the Suomy over the Scorpion. I do like the EXO1000 for the reason of the flip down visor, but I wish it was a little longer so you could ride with the main visor up and the sun visor down for more airflow. Maybe it's just the shape of my face that doesn't allow this to happen. The Suomy is more plush on the inside and I think it fits my head shape a little better. But for the money, they are a good lid.

shoei or arai

Yes it does

Just ordered the Nolan N-43 Air. Had to order from good ole England so I could get the top vent system.(no dot sticker but I live in a helmetless state anyway) The US model does not have that, and I need it cause I live in the freekin desert! Removable chin bar, n.com plug & in helmet second dark visor are cool features.

4479960951_a1cf1fc5a7.jpg

4479962853_9998c9f68b.jpg

Just ordered the Nolan N-43 Air. Had to order from good ole England so I could get the top vent system.(no dot sticker but I live in a helmetless state anyway) The US model does not have that, and I need it cause I live in the freekin desert! Removable chin bar, n.com plug & in helmet second dark visor are cool features.
4479960951_a1cf1fc5a7.jpg

4479962853_9998c9f68b.jpg

pretty cool