Screen protecting film for a Garmin 27xx?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canucklehead-biker

Reaction score
Got a drop of gas on the screen of my 2730, which bubbled the clear plastic sheet thingy that I'm guessing is there to protect the screen. Over the next few days, the bubble got bigger, then the plastic film split and peeled off.

So... is this a replaceable thing like the mylar sheets you put on Crackberries/PamPilots/iPhone/etc?

And if it is, where do you get the stuff? I've had no luck so far finding anything like that. Please tell me I don't have to get Garmin to repair it....

Thanks!

Griff

Mine just did the same thing this week. One day I noticed a couple of bubbles, and the next day, after it rained, the entire screen delaminated. I peeled it off and found that everything works as usual, but the screen seems very prone to scratching.

I google around for other responses and found a couple people who bough a screen protection film from Radio Shack that worked for them. A few other folks said they just left it withot the protection and had no trouble. Another option would be to send it in to Garmin for a re-furbish. If you look around their web site they offer to either refurbish your unit or replace it with a refurbished one, their choice, for $99.

I think I'm just going to use mine like it is. I can send it in later if it cause a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a screen protector made by NuShield. I ordered the NuShield DayVue for the anti-glare properties. As a screen protector it is very good and does not interfere with the touch screen operation at all. The kit came with screen wipes to clean the GPS screen and good instructions. This shield is a tad bigger than the GPS screen opening and slips into the gaps around the edges. I'm not taken with the anti-glare properties but it wasn't that expensive and unlike the adhesive type, this one is easily removed.

Edit: I just verified the link works and discovered that it now looks like the screen wipes have to be purchased separately.

OK, you talked me into trying the NuShield, you silver tongue devil.

Did you open the GPS and apply the shield under the bezel or just tuck it in around the edges?

...Did you open the GPS and apply the shield under the bezel or just tuck it in around the edges?
The instructions will tell you how to tuck the shield in around the edges. The hard part is not getting finger prints on the inside of the shield or the display after they are cleaned. Once you get the shield starting to bow up and slip under the bezel it will go quick 'n easy. Once under the edge of the opening bezel the shield lays perfectly flat. It looks like the shield is die cut for precision fit.

...Did you open the GPS and apply the shield under the bezel or just tuck it in around the edges?
The instructions will tell you how to tuck the shield in around the edges. The hard part is not getting finger prints on the inside of the shield or the display after they are cleaned. Once you get the shield starting to bow up and slip under the bezel it will go quick 'n easy. Once under the edge of the opening bezel the shield lays perfectly flat. It looks like the shield is die cut for precision fit.
Thank you.

OK, you talked me into trying the NuShield, you silver tongue devil.
Did you open the GPS and apply the shield under the bezel or just tuck it in around the edges?
Look for a product from Zagg. its been the best protector yet that i've come across. the other protectors do protect the screen pretty well, but they finger print badly and leave a scratch inprint on the film if you use your nail to move around. the zagg protector seems to be made out of the same material as the tankslapper protective material and does a much better job than its competitors.

thats my recommendation....

Greygoose

Thanks folks. I've ordered some of the NuShield stuff... and I have some of the tankslapper material in the garage so I may try to cut a piece to fit while I'm waiting for the ordered stuff to arrive.

Griff

My NuShield arrived by mail today. I got the DayView stuff because it has UV protection and I figured it may protect the screen.

I installed in on my 2730 by taking the unit apart and sticking it on the front of the screen then put the screen back into the case.

To do this:

Remove 6 screws from the back of the 2730. It was pretty obvious to me which ones held it together.

Then remove the one screw that holds the mount bracket to the back, so the back of the 2730 can come free. There is a card with some electronics on the back of the unit attached to the main electronics by a couple ribbon cables, so you have to be careful not to tear those ribbons. There is also a rubber gasket that seals the two halves of the case. Take note of how it is oriented.

Next remove the 4 silver screws which hold the main electronics into the front half of the case, then gently wiggle the front of the case off. There is another rubber gasket between the front of the case and the screen.

Clean the screen and stick the NuShield on and close it up.

The whole process took about 10 minutes working slowly and being very careful.

I did leave a little bit of the original screen protector on around the perimeter because I couldn't get it all off without risking scratching the screen.

Sorry, I didn't think to take pictures until after I was done. :guiltysmiley:

Last edited by a moderator: