Seattle to Jasper Alberta Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great RR and pics. Thanks for sharing
punk.gif

Thanks for all your compliments. I have two more days to go on this ride report. I am one lucky SOB to live on day's ride from Jasper and other places in British Columbia, plus I am a one day ride from California in case I want to roll that way. Northern Cali has some of the best damn roads in the US for motorcycling and cage drivers pull over to let you by. What a deal.

It is nice to take the trailer but I have a lot to learn with it - and I like it because it keeps motorcycling fresh and something different. The ability to camp comfortably is a bonus because you can see more of what you came to see rather than the same interior of Motel 6 day after day.

And here is a shout out to AuburnFJR who hosted the NW Tech event this weekend. It was terrific. He must of have rebuilt 10 sets of forks, including mine. He and his wife also included breakfast and lunch at the event. 30 guys kicking around in a professionally set up garage (he's got a pneumatic tire changer and work table space everywhere) all sharing stories and working on bikes is a fine way to spend a Saturday. Thanks AuburnFJR.

More RR tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day Four

I got a good night sleep on my new REI air mattress. It has started to rain. It woke me up a few times during the night. Rain was not in the forecast when I left Seattle but that was 3 days ago. Locals tell me the weather in Jasper is unpredictable.

And speaking of the locals everybody in Canada is so darn nice. The gas pumps use those new fangled chip readers. Low and behold you have to leave your card in the machine. I had no idea never having used one before. Hell at home you best slide the debit card quickly otherwise you get to do it twice. This is hard to do with winter gloves on. The attendant at a convenience store came out and showed me how to use my chip enable Visa card in the pump. Everybody was nice to me in Canada It was like this everywhere I went. It made may vacation much more enjoyable to feel welcome in Canada.

Anyway I get up and put my jacket and fix some coffee in the rain along with some blueberries and cereal - the freeze dried variety. Not bad for breakfast in the wood. Rain kept on coming and going and I figure I might hit the road and head south for better weather. So I load all my stuff less the tent and went to get some water. The water station was out of the trees so I look up to see the clouds are clearing. I figure what the hell I stay the day and go on up to Miette Hot Springs as planned. M

THE BEAR

As I was preparing to go to Miette Hot Springs my camp neighbor calls out to me and say hey there is a bear here. I look up and about 25 yards away walking between our camps was a grizzly bear. Moderately freaked out I walk a parallel path opposite the bear toward my camp neighbor. Thankfully the bear didn't give me the time of day. Soon I was back at my camp space and on the road to the Hotsprings.

I took a few photos today and here they are.

A few goats on a rock above the road.

IMG_2656%2B%2528800x533%2529.jpg

Some more mountains.

IMG_2658%2B%2528800x533%2529.jpg

IMG_2659%2B%2528800x533%2529.jpg

IMG_3112%2B%2528800x471%2529.jpg

At Miette Hot Springs where I had lunch.

IMG_3117%2B%2528800x600%2529.jpg

At Miette Hot Springs the water was very hot. I was unable to stay in the water for more than 45 minutes. With a sunburn on my chest from two days ago I didn't want to expose my chest to more sunlight. Rather than risk more sunburn I decide to head back to Jasper.

I went to the local grocery store in Jasper and got dinner and breakfast for tonight and the morning. I went back to the campsite enjoy dinner and read a book. By 7:00pm it was so darn cold out I headed to bed for the warmth of my down sleeping bag.

End of day four.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unbelievable. I have not been up there in nearly 30 years and you have inspired me to go back. Thanks for the tips and trip report!

Unbelievable. I have not been up there in nearly 30 years and you have inspired me to go back. Thanks for the tips and trip report!
If you go do it soon because after July 1 their is an increased risk BC will be burning. Sad to say but the same lack of snow and conditions around the Fort MacMurry area in Alberta have affected Japser and the moutains in BC. They didn't get much snow this year and it is very dry up there. Some places already have the firing warning hazard meter set to high.

I want to go back. I drove past a nice looking golf course near Kamloops. I wonder if they rent golf clubs......
smile.png

Day Five

I got up at 5:30 to get an early start. It was rather chilly out. After several cups of coffee, two bananas and oatmeal I started packing. When I started the bike up the the I learned the outside temp was 36 degrees. Damn.

IMG_3131%2B%2528800x289%2529.jpg

It tried to rain a bit and some of the rain looked a bit thick.

It warmed up a bit.....

IMG_3133%2B%2528800x600%2529.jpg

A bit of personal history. Back in the mid 1970's I used to ride dirt bikes a lot. Went over the handlebars of my RM250 Suzi at 30 to 40 mph - no serious injuries but I sold the damn bike. Those bikes had a bad habit of fish tailing in the whoops. In 1979 I starting skiing and I was hooked big time for the next 10 years or so. I used to say it is like motorcycling except it does hurt when you fall down. The ski thing climaxed in March 1986 when I skied for a week at Mike Wiegele Heli Skiing in Blue River BC. At the time I was on the chopper that broke the daily record for vertical feet skiing - about 49,000. For the week I skied 175,000 vertical feet. That was 30 year and 2 month ago and on this day I was once again in Blue River BC, remembering those days.

We skied stuff like that and did a fair bit of tree skiing as well which was actually better.

_p1030617.jpg

Now back to our regularly schedule programming.....
smile.png

After Blue River I continued into Kamloops where instead of taking Hwy 5 (the freeway) I took 5A - nudge nudge hint hint.

Hwy 5A pics.

IMG_3137%2B%2528800x556%2529.jpg

More of 5A

IMG_3138%2B%2528800x421%2529.jpg

Dig those crazy clouds.

IMG_3140%2B%2528800x359%2529.jpg

IMG_3142%2B%2528800x414%2529.jpg

After this I found my way to the Coldwater Road thus missing some of the Coquihalla Hwy (aka freeway) then road home to enjoy a hockey game with my son in Seattle.

The End

Nice roads, but the proximity of the grizzly would make me think twice about tent camping. At least in the states you can pack a .45 in case Smokey the bear decides you might make a good burrito all wrapped up in your bag...

Thank you for all your compliments. I don't really see this as epic, rather it is just normal, it is just what you do on a motorcycle in the Pacific Northwest. Clearly I am spoit brat and have led a rather charmed life.

I am looking forward to towing the trailer and camping in the future - a new chapter in my adventures.

Next up is riding to Red Lodge but this time I will be taking my bride. The trailer will be used to bring all of our stuff and we will go for day hikes in the Grand Teton's and Jellystone along with taking some very nice roads along the way, such as Beartooth Pass.

Very cool ride report. Those pics on 5A are fantastic. I hit that road once a few years ago, and I really need to get up that way again.

Camping with bears nearby? You're a braver man than I.

Very cool ride report. Those pics on 5A are fantastic. I hit that road once a few years ago, and I really need to get up that way again.
Camping with bears nearby? You're a braver man than I.
Upon entering the campsite, while taking my fee, the Ranger told me of the bears and said not to worry. So I didn't. I did follow the rules about a bare clean campsite. I also spoke to a local about the bears. I asked lots of question and amazingly they only have about 1 incident a year. Last year a hunter was attacked - he survived. So overall by talking with people and doing as in Rome I felt relatively safe. There are thousand of people in the National Park every year and all survive. I would do it again.

Fontanaman, read your entire report and enjoyed it thoroughly. Love the pics, you have a good eye for framing and they are gorgeous.

mmmmmmMiette Hot Springs

it's been a while..................*adds it to this years list*

Excellent and enjoyable RR.

Thank you for sharing and very happy your enjoying your new adventure with the new trailer :)

Latest posts